My AES won't work!:-(

M0L0TOV

n00b
Hi,
After 3 years, I finally got all the accessories for my Neo and I finally bought two games for it. Anyways. I have an adjustable power adapter and it has either 4.5 or 6 volts. I have the 5 volt Neo (serial number 022627). I hook up my Neo to the tv, insert a cartridge, and all I get is a buzzing noise (I tried it at 4.5 and 6). I insert headphones into the headphone jack and all I get is a buzzing noise. i don't know what gives (I'm not getting any video, it looks like a wavy screen to me or garbeled). I cleaned the cartridge port, nothing. Samurai Shodown 2 was brand new and nothing. I took the machine apart and checked everything. No traces seem to be cut nor do there seem to be any bad solder points on the board. Is my Neo that picky that it needs exactly 5 volts for it to function properly? I mean, if it's a no brainer, I'll buy the 5 volt ac adapter, but it just sounds weird. I looked up the info online and I guess mine is the 4th revision of the Neo Geo. I don't know what gives :-( Any info would be greatly appreciated, I got SNK vs. Capcom Chaos for it and I'm absolutely dying to play it.

Thanks,
M0L0TOV

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
MKL listed this at one time.

Name of Power Plug / System Volts & Amps

pro-pow = 5v/3A
pro-pow2 = 5v/3A
pro-powE = 9v/1.2A
pro-pow3 = 10V/1A (or 11v/0.7A)

If that switchable power supply isn't working, you might just want to track down a pro-pow2 and see if that works.

I had an AES crap out on me too. Turns out my power plug was dying, and then one day it just completely died on me. I got myself a new plug and it's been working great since then.

BTW, here's a link to an old thread with a similar topic.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79071&highlight=pro-pow

Hope it works out for you.

M0L0TOV

n00b
Awesome, thanks Shin. I'll look for the proper power adapter and hope for the best, I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much for the help!:-)

M0L0TOV

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I forgot to mention to look at the bottom of your system. There's a sticker that tells you exactly what power supply you'll need. Just go with what it says.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
People -- you can't always trust the stickers on the bottom of the Neo systems. I've seen a bunch of systems that just don't follow these rules that people mention (serial numbers, stickers, etc)... Sure, it's a good indicator, but it's not always the correct assumption.

I have a guys system now that is First Gen, has the low serial number, yet the board has been modified by SNK to run off 9V (has a small power board and the video board inside), and no sticker stating any difference.

The only way to be 100% certain is to open the Neo and look at the board. If you have a digital camera, just take a decent photo and post it, people on here will tell you exactly what you need.

Jeff

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
JMKurtz said:
I have a guys system now that is First Gen, has the low serial number, yet the board has been modified by SNK to run off 9V (has a small power board and the video board inside), and no sticker stating any difference.

It must be like this system Supergoose once showed me:

propow3system.jpg

One wonders why SNK did that...maybe because the PRO-POW was no longer produced and they still had in stock older boards they wanted to move?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yours has more wiring, but yeah, just like that one, with the power circuit just above the cart slots.

Jeff

iceman1981

n00b
Neo Geo mod

Hi MKL,

I recently spoke to a felow Neo Geo collector and i have read that you can modify AES consoles for better screen quality.

This member was Dreamer from the Netherlands. I am also interested in modifying my console. I tried to contact you by mail but i have no reply. Can you send me a pm? So we can discuss further?

Greetz,

Iceman1981

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Can you take a pic so that we can verify for you? The reason I ask is because I've seen two different voltage modifications. One with the little board sitting just above the cart slots, like in these pics, and then I've seen one on a board mounted over the memory card area. If you don't look at it, you could mistake it for the video upgrade board that SNK used.

If you have either of these power mods, you will need the 9V supply. A power supply from the old model Sega Genesis will work.

Jeff