Problem with Gun Smoke non Jamma & Mas Super Nova!

eclypse

Banned
:blow_top: I'm having a huge problem over here with a Capcom Gun Smoke non jamma board.

I'm trying to use it with my new MAS Super Nova.. I had to make my own addaptor to go from the jamma harness to the non jamma board.. I used the layout HERE .

Everything works perfectly but i cant get the picture up and down (upright). The picture is stuck sideways. I've tried the dip switch 5 on like stated and its the same.. Hell i've tried all the dip switches for the hell of it and its the same :(

I've double and tripled check the connections and everything is right.. The color is perfect and so is the sound. The controls all work.. I've even tested the dip switches with a DMM and they read right.. They have a connection when on and a reading when off of .02.

Any suggestions before i loose it over here?

Oh let me also add that i have another trashed looking Gun Smoke board and it does the same with the picture.. Hell i thought it didnt work and i was surprised when it did.. Kinda looks like a non capcom board cause it looks totally different then the newer one i got and theres no capcom lables on it.

So with that in mind i was thinking that its gota be the harness addaptor i made but its not.. not that i can tell.. The dips on the other gun smoke board also did nothing to fix the pic.

Last edited:

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
Ok this will sound dumb, but you know Gunsmoke is a vertical game right? It's going to look sideways if you're playing it on your tv unless you turn the tv on its side. You could always rig up an arcade monitor to your super gun and play it off that. I've tried turning a TV on its side for vertical games (pacman) and the colors get messed up so using a TV isn't a perfect solution. Good luck.

eclypse

Banned
Ok.. Though why is it if you use the dip switch for upright/table it does nothing to the picture?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
eclypse said:
Ok.. Though why is it if you use the dip switch for upright/table it does nothing to the picture?

If you select "table" and play a 2-player game, when it's player 2 turn to play the picture will flip 180° sideways. That's because on a cocktail/table cabinet type the 2 players are face to face...
Gunsmoke doesn't have a "flip screen" option whereby you permanently reverse the picture and even if it did it would be no use to you because the picture would still be sideways, only on the other side. You really have to put your TV/monitor on its side.

eclypse

Banned
Ok thanks guys.. Yeah i seen the vertical raster display online note for this game online :(

Oh well.. Some day if i ever get a cab i'll hook it up.

I dont think i should attempt to turn my 35" TV on its side! hehehe.. NOT! Never.. lol

Thanks guys..

I guess after all the work i'll try turning my head sideways and give it a game or 2.. hehe. Oh the pain!

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
eclypse said:
I dont think i should attempt to turn my 35" TV on its side! hehehe.. NOT! Never.. lol

I've turned my family's big screen projection TV on its side (i'd say it's a 33" at least) to play Donkey Kong before I had the cabinet. My dad was less than amused.........

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
SuperGunGuru said:
Ok this will sound dumb, but you know Gunsmoke is a vertical game right? It's going to look sideways if you're playing it on your tv unless you turn the tv on its side. You could always rig up an arcade monitor to your super gun and play it off that. I've tried turning a TV on its side for vertical games (pacman) and the colors get messed up so using a TV isn't a perfect solution. Good luck.

The colours will get messed up if you alter the orientation of the TV (or monitor) when warm, if you let it cool down it should automatically degausse and get rid of the colour purity errors during power up. Otherwise invest in a degaussing wand and do it manually. You really need a vertical crt monitor.