Just Got A Neo gold MVS but have some questions

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Hey just picked up a Neo geo gold at a superauctions for what I think was cheap ($400) it is in great shape however i have a question on the Mini Marquee panel lights. This is my first system with the lights so I think it is no function but I never used them before so I am a noob :p

anyway here are the pics

Neo Geo Gold MVS

Neo light panel inside

Neo Light panel outside

so does it looked hook up right?

everything seemed real clean that is why I was surprised no go on the lights.

funny thing it came with ms5 and Puzzle booble. as it turned out MS5 was a boot but Puzzle booble was orginal. the opposite of what I expected.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Nice find.
I also own one.

Now, I have everything working perfectly one mine, except for the
damn marquee lights. I know Chris1 has one as well, he will let us know if he
knows. I asked this question long ago, but no answer. I know three other
member who own one.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SWEEET!! ..Congratulations.. :buttrock:

Your MV-ELD LCD Panels are set up right..Just like mine.

The left side of the marquee lights(as seen in this pick) is just left like that...Apparently they did it this way to save money.
That's where you would connect a plug/wire for another marquee light board..for a 4 slot set-up..then you'd do a third for a 6 slot set-up.(MV-ELD LCD Panels)
MV-ELDbackSm.jpg

MV-ELDsm.jpg

I had to take the plug off the driver (below) to get the whining noise to stop,as where sometimes you can just unplug the wire from the light MV-ELD LCD Panels.

Your pick..
Big.jpg

When I got mine the lights were out ..I haven't really took a good look at them to see if I see any breaks in the solder lines.

I have 2 spare bulbs that work on two separate boards..I need to combine them onto one board...then I'll put them in the Neo Gold.

When I got my big red two bulbs where out..I eventually got a few spare sets,sold some and made a fully working MV-ELD LCD Panel for my 4 slot.

I don't leave them plugged in though..I plug them in if someone asks to see them/about the cab etc...
They are too damn hard to find..I've had several sets of these MV-ELD LCD Panels and I haven't seen a set being sold in awhile.

Here's the alternative/bulbs to use.

http://www.beingseen.com/sheets.html

:tickled: my Neo Gold also had Bust A Move in it..Nice case but it's a no sound boot. :(
The other cart was Art Of Fighting.

Here's a picture I took of the inside of mine when I couldn't figure where the green/ground wire was supposed to be connected..

MVS_2-19GOLD.jpg

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Hmm..
I'm surprised these lights don't work..
Well at least the left one..
Do you hear any noise near them when the cab is on..?

I don't see any breaks in the soldering lines on the left board.
But,sometimes they are so small it's hard to see them without looking under a magnifying glass.
I've messed with these,trying to figure out how they work and where the breaks are.
I've gotten blown bulbs to turn on..but I don't have the fine soldering iron/tip to fix them..

If you power the cab up and run your finger up/while pressing on the solder lines you may get one to turn on..or you will get a shock..(making sure the game selection is to that bulb)
I found that you'll get a shock usually where the break is..
Sometimes it's just a seperation and needs to be connected.

I've also found breaks near the two top solder points connecting the board to the bulb that made bubs not work.,..until re-soldered...That's an easy soldering job.

I've also transplated working bulbs from one board to another..
It's not hard once you've done it..
But,you have to be carefull not to rip the bulbs when pulling them off the backing board(glued)
And the soldering points connecting the board to the bulb are very fine and frail..High heat will destroy them..

I'm glad you took big pics..

lpoutside.jpg

Do you have a voltage or Digimeter..?

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Looks like every Gold Cab out there came with Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble boots....

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
With the Australian L&A 6 slots like my twins they use 2X banks of three lumi panels, Of the 12 panels not one illuminates :(

These lumi panels work on an electro-chemical principle, that pcb you see is a DC to AC convertor and also switches the panels. They are supplied by about 100 volts peak-peak at 3.6 KHz if my memory serves me right, I put my scope across there when I was bored one day.

These panels have a limited life span, considering these cabs are now in excess of ten years old, most of the panels have had it and good working ones are difficult to find.

There was a thread on this some time back, where a member had sourced some panels that could be cut to size, I think they were a little pricy though, havent been able to find that thread.

Bottom line is live without the illumination or rig up some bulb arangement, remember the supply to the panels is ac (100v pk-pk at 3.6 kHZ) not dc

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
With the Australian L&A 6 slots like my twins they use 2X banks of three lumi panels, Of the 12 panels not one illuminates :(

These lumi panels work on an electro-chemical principle, that pcb you see is a DC to AC convertor and also switches the panels. They are supplied by about 100 volts peak-peak at 3.6 KHz if my memory serves me right, I put my scope across there when I was bored one day.

These panels have a limited life span, considering these cabs are now in excess of ten years old, most of the panels have had it and good working ones are difficult to find.

There was a thread on this some time back, where a member had sourced some panels that could be cut to size, I think they were a little pricy though, havent been able to find that thread.

Bottom line is live without the illumination or rig up some bulb arangement, remember the supply to the panels is ac (100v pk-pk at 3.6 kHZ) not dc

ttooddddyy..Do you know what's inside of these/Gas or..?

These...right..

The lil cab in my sig has a mini light set-up behind the marquee,5 to six bulbs in a line.
The same bulbs that are in the Coin doors on the standard arcade machines(MVS)

I figure maybe something like them could be used(?)

SNKJorge

Talking about light in cabs. Chris1, I see that your 4-slot has the light in the
top for marquees? do you have a link where I can get someone to sell me
this type of lamp? My Red 2-slot did not came with one, and I just noticed.... :make_fac:

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Hmm..
I'm surprised these lights don't work..
Well at least the left one..
Do you hear any noise near them when the cab is on..?

Do you have a voltage or Digimeter..?

Yes it makes a noise and it appears to be coming from the panel since the noise changes when I press on it. I have a volt meter and will test the voltage when I get back. I heading out of town though so it will not be friday until I can spend some time on it again.

these cabs most have been sitting in a store room somewhere and were dug up a few years back. seems to be alot of them laying around in great condition. in looking over mine it looks like it was hardly played. it even had the Slot proctetor and the NEW display sign still inside the cab.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xtoo_short20x said:
Talking about light in cabs. Chris1, I see that your 4-slot has the light in the
top for marquees? do you have a link where I can get someone to sell me
this type of lamp? My Red 2-slot did not came with one, and I just noticed.... :make_fac:

They pop up on Ebay from time to time....(though I haven't seen them in awhile/plus most vendors don't know what to call them or know that they have value to them,providing the work.
If a vendor is available to visit and ask for this part I'd do it.
You never know what they might have lying around.

The last time I saw a set of working light on Ebay it sold for over $100.00 which gives me the basic cost rate of $$25.00 per bulb..and that's a lot of money for these.
A previous set of 4 sold for $83.00 untested.
They usually run in the $100.00 amount for 4.

I must say..It sucks to pay a high price for these bulbs and find out they don't work when you get them.

I sold a working set of 4 to member the_chosen_ one awhile back..he may have some spares.
Or a blank/non working MV-ELD LCD Panel.

If you can get a Blank MV-ELD LCD Panel(Green PCB board/Below)
MV-ELDsm.jpg

You may be able to put the cut out sheets on it.

I wish they were cheaper because I would of bought some just to lessen the headache/worry of them burning out..
And replacing these lights would have been a much easier thing for the community who needs them.

Do you have the MV-ELA LCD Circuit Board PCB in your cab?..
MV-ELAsm.jpg

I may be able to get yopu a blank (no bulb)MV-ELD LCD Panel..for a two slot.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
See you Friday/have a safe trip.

Big Bruno said:
Yes it makes a noise and it appears to be coming from the panel since the noise changes when I press on it. I have a volt meter and will test the voltage when I get back. I heading out of town though so it will not be friday until I can spend some time on it again.

these cabs most have been sitting in a store room somewhere and were dug up a few years back. seems to be alot of them laying around in great condition. in looking over mine it looks like it was hardly played. it even had the Slot proctetor and the NEW display sign still inside the cab.

Did they have more of them..At the auction..?

So you found a slot protector in the cab huh,,Cool..I never seen one in person.

th_slotcover_1024.jpg

I wonder if they used them to cover the slots in the mother boards when the cabs were shipped.

I'd like to see a picture of the "NEW display sign"...if possible.

Check the circled solder spots for a good connection...

Running your finger along the lines(pressing) that I drew may cause a bulb to comeon if you find a break.

The spots where I have small black dots look to be breaks/burns spots on the right bulb..
Basically they are not fixable,but sometimes you can get lucky and find a small break that can be fixed to get the bulb working again.

Check.jpg

Disconnect the driver from the mother board until you get another set..

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
chris1 said:
ttooddddyy..Do you know what's inside of these/Gas or..?

These...right..

An ELD works by sandwiching a thin film of phosphorescent substance between two plates. I dont know what the substance is, its not a gas, its some kind of chemical compound.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Nice price on teh Gold Cab... :D Theres one for sale locally here but they want 600+ for it and seeing as i already have a 4 slot. its not worth my money to pick it up but should i find one cheaper than that i'd snag it. :buttrock: I've been lucky though..my 4 slot is 14 years old and never had a problem. I wonder if the gold cabs just had a some problems (ie: the mm panels), that resulted in goind to the red cabs only? In any case, good luck w/ it...its a def. investment and worth its weight in fun!!!

peap

New Challenger
Has anybody tried replacing the old sheets with new ones from the above links?

Can I use the original PCB with those EL-sheets or will I have to fit their power adaptor in my cab?