SNK Neo Geo USA E3 Interview

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This particular comment was a riot.

"The Metal Slug 3 conflict with Sony: I asked Mr. Herman why SvC Chaos: SNK Vs.
CAPCOM was not coming out for the PS2 in the U.S. and he said it's because Sony of America rejcted it. They had also, late last year, rejected SNK USA's request to bring Metal Slug 3 to the U.S. for PS2. However, when it was later revealed that SNK was making games on the Atomiswave, Sony wanted the games on their system."

It further proves what many of us have been thinking for quite a while now: Sony of America has gone so far off the deep end that they honestly forget about the slew of gamers NOT drooling over the latest based-off-a-hit-movie-or-Tom-Clancey-novel release. For their sake, I hope they get a little less senile, because if they don't, they're going to be at a major loss when mainstream gamers start going back to their "video games aren't cool!" phase.

:glee:

Last edited:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
BH: We've heard from our fans. When we shipped KoF 2000/2001 we got a lot of feedback
about white-blood and other things that were deleted from the game that the fans
were upset about. And...I heard that and I discussed it with Japan (Playmore).
And I'd like to think that, going forward, everything will be as it should be, based
on what the fans expect. Now, the fact is that Neo Geo AVS games has always been...I
don't want to say "censored," but has always had white-blood. For the
MVS, there was a switch that allowed for the operator to change the option. We
are, at this point, trying to move forward with direct replications of the arcade
games.

There's a wink to MVS owners. Can't be having those inferior AES ports, eh? ;)

The Metal Slug 3 conflict with Sony: I asked Mr. Herman why SvC Chaos: SNK Vs.
CAPCOM was not coming out for the PS2 in the U.S. and he said it's because Sony
of America rejcted it. They had also, late last year, rejected SNK USA's request
to bring Metal Slug 3 to the U.S. for PS2. However, when it was later revealed
that SNK was making games on the Atomiswave, Sony wanted the games on their system.

So thus, a deal was made, where Mr. Herman was able to get Metal Slug 4 & 5,
King of Fighters 2002 and 2003, and Samurai Shodown V and Samurai Shodown V: Special
(has not yet been officially announced) approved for the PS2. So those games will
definitely be coming out late 2004-early 2005. For SvC Chaos however, Mr. Herman
had no other games to bundle it with, thus why it will not be coming to the PS2.

That stinks......No SVC:Chaos on PS2 because of no bundle... Sure, the other dual packs fit, but should we really care what's put with Chaos? Oh well. XBox owners have something to jeer over.

Fun line-ups comming along either way. Sounds like a promising year.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I hope he asked 'Why does SNK suck now so bad?'

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I always had this idea that they should add in both card fighters clash games in with Chaos. However I don't know how much money SNK would gain or lose any doing so. It would be a good idea to promo the SVC game. that way people can trade cards through memory card system on playstation 2. Oh well. That idea is pretty much suicide. :lol:

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
For SvC Chaos however, Mr. Herman
had no other games to bundle it with, thus why it will not be coming to the PS2

Mr. Herman is full of bullshit lie.
Why didn't he bundle Metal Slug 3 & SVC Chaos for US PS2 release........
He just talks.................

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I agree with liquid as far as they could've found something to bundle it with but I'm pretty sure its also a matter of how much money does SNK want to lose by putting these bundles together and more specifically they would make more profit off of it selling it by themselves. So as marketers it is probably better for the company if they can continue to sell games by themselves instead of packing them together.

Last edited:

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If we could just find a way to convince SCEA that SNK's atomiswave game developments are worthy of grandeur then hopefully playstation will start treating SNK playmore like normal human beings. But at this point its highly unlikely...

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
This line says it all folks:

"However, when it was later revealed that SNK was making games on the Atomiswave, Sony wanted the games on their system."

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Liquid Snake said:
Mr. Herman is full of bullshit lie.
Why didn't he bundle Metal Slug 3 & SVC Chaos for US PS2 release........
He just talks.................

Yeah, that makes sense. Put the comedic side-scroller with the crossover fighting game! :oh_no:

You people really need to turn your brains on before replying.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
They should have stuck SVC with Matrimelee or Rage of the Dragons I think. I bet it would have sold well.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
They didnt make ROTD or Matrimelee mak.

"BH: Basically, the NGPC is a 16-bit system, and the GBA is 32-bit. The PSP almost
has the power of the Playstation 2 and I've been told in certain ways it's better
than a PS2. So a direct port of these 16-bit games is not going to happen to PSP
or to any other handheld. In the case of what we're doing to Metal Slug Advance
is taking advantage of a 32-bit system, it's a brand new adventure. And I believe
that even though the licenses could be used, any game we make will be brand new
games for advance handheld system."

:very_ang: bastard. And he sure loves to kiss Sonys ass in this interview.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I hate knowing US ps2 owners will get a shot at AW games :very_ang:

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
and most ironically of all, the Atomiswave games will have no new sprites and will look the same as the Neo-Geo ones, the only difference is the 3d Backgrounds. What has this world come to? :shame: And just cuz they have the Atomiswave label, they will go to the PS2.

The only reason why i feel this could be justified is if the sprites and everything are made up to today's standard, or set a new bar....but hey come on, its SNKP we r talking about........ :annoyed:

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku said:
and most ironically of all, the Atomiswave games will have no new sprites and will look the same as the Neo-Geo ones, the only difference is the 3d Backgrounds. What has this world come to? :shame: And just cuz they have the Atomiswave label, they will go to the PS2.

The only reason why i feel this could be justified is if the sprites and everything are made up to today's standard, or set a new bar....but hey come on, its SNKP we r talking about........ :annoyed:

Sometimes i wonder if you people are in the right forum. When the Atomiswave deal was confirmed, it was clearly stated that Samurai Shodown AW and Metal Slug AW (obviously, tentative titles) were going to be high res. The SNKP president even said that was the chance to re-draw and re-design ALL sprites.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dio_Brando said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Put the comedic side-scroller with the crossover fighting game! :oh_no:

You people really need to turn your brains on before replying.
You really, really need to try to settle down a little. Your obsessive anger disorder is getting obnoxious. Bundling MS3 with SVC makes no less sense than the group of games in the upcoming Midway compilation, or many of the Namco Museum compilations. Calm yourself.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
Dio_Brando said:
Sometimes i wonder if you people are in the right forum. When the Atomiswave deal was confirmed, it was clearly stated that Samurai Shodown AW and Metal Slug AW (obviously, tentative titles) were going to be high res. The SNKP president even said that was the chance to re-draw and re-design ALL sprites.

I mean if SNKP were seriously going to redraw and redesign all sprites for KOF 2004, it would be awesome, but since its coming out the end of this year....meh. Im seriously hoping you are right though. It would make the transition to the Atomiswave worth it.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
SouthtownKid said:
You really, really need to try to settle down a little. Your obsessive anger disorder is getting obnoxious. Bundling MS3 with SVC makes no less sense than the group of games in the upcoming Midway compilation, or many of the Namco Museum compilations. Calm yourself.

The thing is though, that most fickle gamers out there would look at it like "$40 (or $50) for 2 games? Only one of which I want? Shit I'll only pay $20 for the one I want, $40's too expensive." It's sad but true, I can see someone saying that. SVC Chaos bundled with MotW would have made some sense.

shir0

Later, Gumm0
Except the PS2 version of SVC sucked so much ass it's not funny.

God, that was horrible.

Later

shir0

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
The thing is though, that most fickle gamers out there would look at it like "$40 (or $50) for 2 games? Only one of which I want? Shit I'll only pay $20 for the one I want, $40's too expensive."

No, not really. The majority of gamers will pass over it entirely in favor of the latest offering from EA or Square. The majority of game players out there aren't into 2d titles anymore. We're all into what's known as a niche....and one that's finally being catered to. They may not get Greatest Hits status, but at least a few will sell--and that's what they're after. If they don't want it bundled to make more money, fine and dandy for them. It's more money that'll hopefully go into development.

And even if they did package MS3 with Chaos, it's really no big deal. Most any Neo Geo fan would want to pick up both games anyway. Not many people would care if the titles are mismatched. Like SouthtownKid said about the Namco museums...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Dig-Dug, Pole Position, and Ms. Pac-Man in one title...but it's all the same company. You don't have to play all the games in there, but at least they're out.

Then again, it's not like there's a "Pole Position: Lightning Championship Edition either."

Edit Note: Heck, they could bundle it with Athena/Psycho Soldier/and the Ikari games and it'd be great. --But, if Ben Herman says it won't happen then it must be true.....

Last edited:

shir0

Later, Gumm0
Metal Slug 3 looks to be a decent port though.

Because the SVC port sucks so much ass, they should have just
released MS3 and threw SVC in as a freebie.

That's all it's good for anyway.

Later

shir0

slerch666

updyke,
We are, at this point, trying to move forward with direct replications of the arcade games.

*sigh*

I guess this means blood but no bounce.

*sigh*

Well, at least he paid attention to us when it came to the blood I suppose.

Celsius

n00b
slerch666 said:
*sigh*

I guess this means blood but no bounce.

*sigh*

Well, at least he paid attention to us when it came to the blood I suppose.

No, that is not the case at all. I talked to him before and after the interview. He mentioned about the blood and the "bounce." I'm pretty sure that he's going to do his best so that all future SNK releases will be true to the original version.

Also, next year, at SNK's E3 booth. They plan on having a tournament.

Also, if you guys were not already aware. King of Fighters: Maximum Impact is developed by Noise. While it's 3-D, it still feels like a 2-D fighter. 3-D fighting game elements are also added in to the moves. For instance, by pressing HP twice the 2-hits will connect (typical 3-d fighter combo). Pulling off special moves seemed really easy for some odd reason too.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Anyone else catch the CNN coverage of E3 today?

They were mentioning "retro" systems and showing a few on-screen. They covered the following.

Atari2600 (Shown on Screen)
Commodore 64 (Shown on Screen)
Colecovision (Shown on Screen)
Intellivision (Shown on Screen)

...and in the same breath he mentions Neo Geo as an afterthought and it's not shown on screen at all.....so now it's taking a back seat to Defender......

It's why I wish that Analysts at CNN would actually hire Gamers to cover E3...instead of their "Retro 80s" caster to make lewd remarks about new games consoles and older compilations...trying to stir up trouble with the "girls" of E3 by mentioning the Playboy game.

slerch666

updyke,
Celsius said:
No, that is not the case at all. I talked to him before and after the interview. He mentioned about the blood and the "bounce." I'm pretty sure that he's going to do his best so that all future SNK releases will be true to the original version.

Also, next year, at SNK's E3 booth. They plan on having a tournament.

Also, if you guys were not already aware. King of Fighters: Maximum Impact is developed by Noise. While it's 3-D, it still feels like a 2-D fighter. 3-D fighting game elements are also added in to the moves. For instance, by pressing HP twice the 2-hits will connect (typical 3-d fighter combo). Pulling off special moves seemed really easy for some odd reason too.

Hey, cool, thanks for the info! And welcome to the boards! ;)