Homemade cabs

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to tools, so I'm obviously impressed when lurking around the tech forums.
I see a lot of homemade superguns, joysticks or conversions but was wondering if anyone tried making their own cabinet?

I've come across a few designs for MAME cabs, and with a few extra parts (obviously! :glee: ) it seems like making a JAMMA cabinet, ready for the MVS board, could be doable.
If this is possible, or if someone has tried it, how much did yours set you back?

Any thoughts or is my ignorance showing through? :lol:

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
In all honesty, the cheapest and easiest way would be to buy a bad cabinet (one that had a good screen, but a bad board). You can get a 25" JAMMA compatible cab this way for $100 or less, if you're patient enough. Then you can just redo the control panel if needed, and maybe replace the PSU if it is needed. Pretty much done. Could probably do it for under $200. You can also repaint the cab, put on decals, whatever.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
I figured that was the easiest route, but it's too bad that so many used cabinets have awful monitor and screen conditions. It isn't too often you come across one the other way around but I guess that's where the patience comes in though, eh?

The reason I asked about the completely self-made cabs is I was curious how much customizing anyone did to theirs. Also, it would be a proud feeling to be playing on a full-sized arcade cab that was made by you.

I see your point, though. As for me, I'll just buy a complete one myself as I know I'd electrocute my dumb ass somewhere along the line. :lol:

BigNick

Kula's Candy
HPIM0009.jpg

I found this cab on some guys lawn and carried it home Aprox. 1 mile on a dolly in the middle of the night. It was an atari black widow cab that was converted to a non working renegade. I competly re-wired the cab jamma and to my delight, the monitor still worked :D the picture is decent for such and old game. No idea if it's the original monitor or not... you can tell it's old though. the cab was in the worst shape. Had to replace the top corner and cut of the sides of the cab to make a new control panel. Went for a slanted layout for more room. The sides were crap, so I coverd convered the cab in blue formica... black on the front. New molding, overlay, buttons and sticks, custom marquee from the left over overlay and NOS side art stickers. The coin door was rusted so I had to sand it down and paint it black again... It's not shown in the picture but came out looking nice.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Wow! Congrats on not only the find but the nice job done on it! :buttrock:

BigNick

Kula's Candy
HPIM0017.jpg

I converted this into a 4 slot neo geo.
Got it for 100$ with a 1 slot @some local arcade:
The cab was white with the arcades logo on the sides.
I coverd the cab in red formica and replaced the monitor.
put in a 4 slot, select button, NOS marquee, new black t-molding, sticks & buttons, and just recently a reproduction overlay.
I custom made the contol panel for neo and capcom games.

HPIM0014.jpg

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Ok, BigNick - you officially kick ass. Great job, definitely on both cabinets.
See, I knew I'd find some creative jobs on here. :mr_t:

BigNick

Kula's Candy
Thanks! It was fun. It didn't all come together over night though. The Neo was straight forward cuz it was all pre wired (-) putting in a new monitor. The black widow to capcom conv. took longer to aquire all the parts and wiring it up was a challenge for a first timer. Looking back now, it wasn't all that complicated. I had help from brother... made it fun... my step dad helped with the wood working etc... The formica and jamma wire kit was costly.
The experience was great though.

Next project is to build a Mortal kombat form the ground up. Just have to convince the crew to help me out again :D I'll let you know how it turns out.
best of luck on your project

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
That's good to have helpful people around you, and I look forward to seeing how some of your other cabinets turn out.
The Neo one totally kicks ass. I do have a few friends that have offered to help me out, but I might be moving away so there's little point in starting something now.

I probably will try something sometime in the future, so I appreciate the vote of confidence.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
BigNick said:
Sweet! I just purchased the book:
" Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Machine"

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0764556169.html

If the book has 1/2 of whats on the web-site, I'll be a happy gamer ;)

Good luck with the project, Im sure the book will be full of real usefull info. Making a real jamma (or other connection) arcade cab is easier than making a mame cab. Why not combine the both.
Best of both worlds :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I dont have a Xbox, do they have a port for connection to PC for firmware updates etc. If so that could be used as an interface. I guess others have thought of the possibility, its beyond me Im affraid.

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
ttooddddyy said:
I dont have a Xbox, do they have a port for connection to PC for firmware updates etc. If so that could be used as an interface. I guess others have thought of the possibility, its beyond me Im affraid.

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what the JAMMA J-Pac is for? Is that just so you can output to a PC monitor? What is the USB and KB port for exactly?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
KMGor said:
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what the JAMMA J-Pac is for? Is that just so you can output to a PC monitor? What is the USB and KB port for exactly?

See here:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

It's basically, easy plug and play for hooking up a PC to an actual arcade machine. It takes care of the video and controls (2 standard JAMMA controls). Sound you have to take care of yourself (wiring or just use PC speakers). Extra buttons (JAMMA standard only goes w/ 3-4 buttons) can be wired into the JPAC too. To make video hookup easier, ultimarc sells a special video card (ArcadeVGA card) that syncs up perfectly w/ an arcade monitor.

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
StealthLurker said:
See here:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

It's basically, easy plug and play for hooking up a PC to an actual arcade machine. It takes care of the video and controls (2 standard JAMMA controls). Sound you have to take care of yourself (wiring or just use PC speakers). Extra buttons (JAMMA standard only goes w/ 3-4 buttons) can be wired into the JPAC too. To make video hookup easier, ultimarc sells a special video card (ArcadeVGA card) that syncs up perfectly w/ an arcade monitor.

Ohhh. So if I bought a cheap JAMMA cab (which isn't too hard these days - even online you can get one under $200 with a 25" monitor if you're patient), maybe one with a broken board in it or something, I could pretty much just slap a PC in there with a proper VGA cord, config it right, and I'm done? Man, that's pretty nice.

And it's only $57 too.. I could probably actually add that to my current cab with some modifications. Wouldn't be too difficult, and I have my toolboxPC sitting around doing nothing. Blah, not right now though, I'll fix my cab first.

Thanks for th elink.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Yeah, this really isn't what I originally hoped for.
I'm not a fan of the MAME cabs - I think you should buy the cabs and boards themselves.

My original was to see how hard it was to build a JAMMA cab to house different boards such as the CPS series, Naomi, etc.

Oh well.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I'm going to go along with the buy a cheap cab and fix it up the thing. I got a extremely poor conditioned vigilante cabinet from some guy out in the boonies for $100 and am currently fixing it up for ssf2 and on the second coat of paint today. It's definitely a fun project and IMO, the cheapest and best way to go.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
After originally thinking that building a cab might've been worthwhile, I'm leaning towards buying a cheapie one and converting it like most of you have.

Hey, that's a long way down the road. I just wanted some feedback and thoughts from the experts.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Well... I'm definitely not an expert on this as this is my first time ever attempting to fix up an arcade Cabinet, but I can tell you that it's pretty fun and IMO, it's going to be worth it in the end even more so to speak this it will be my Cabinet and have more of the personal feeling to it.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
NGT said:
Well... I'm definitely not an expert on this as this is my first time ever attempting to fix up an arcade Cabinet, but I can tell you that it's pretty fun and IMO, it's going to be worth it in the end even more so to speak this it will be my Cabinet and have more of the personal feeling to it.

Exactly. The personal touches you can add to it make it worthwhile.
Best of luck on the cab! :mr_t:

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
GoSpits said:
Yeah, this really isn't what I originally hoped for.
I'm not a fan of the MAME cabs - I think you should buy the cabs and boards themselves.

My original was to see how hard it was to build a JAMMA cab to house different boards such as the CPS series, Naomi, etc.

Oh well.

One thing I'd like to know... Are there any INEXPENSIVE JAMMA switch things? Ya know, to switch between two boards without moving the harness itself? The only one I've seen was around $200, which just is not worth it at all, at least not to me.

I ask because I'd like to add a CPS2 board to my Neo cab. Then I'll get Aliens VS Predator and I'll be set.