AES video issues

R

ReaperSMS

Recently picked up an AES of the 260000+ vintage and a sizeable stack of games off of ebay, and everything works fine but for one small issue:

The color on the upper 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen is hosed. Luminance is fine, can't see any distortion on the bios screen, but colors go haywire. As an example, our trusty Magician Lord's clothes turn red and his skin turns green when he jumps.

It is, of course, happening across all carts I've tried so far. Everything is playable, but the color shift is really distracting.

The video is running through a stock AV cable into a cheap switchbox, into a Jaton X-Media Dreambox and into my monitor. I've tried running the cable directly into the vga converter, with the same results.

What is the likely culprit in this situation, and what are my options for remedying this?

I had a home system that would give me a brighter image fading to normal from the top quarter of the screen, turned out the power supply was failing. Your system likely uses a Pro-pow3 power adaptor, you can safely replace that with a Genesis1 PSU (or TG16, or Jaguar, but NOT NES!) and see if that cures your problem.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Try a different power supply. Also you may want to clean all your carts along with the slots inside the system.