SCART connector considerations??

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey there all! I have a couple question on wiring up an MVS board to output to a TV via SCART input. I've got the pinout sorted, but want to know if theres anything I need to add to the RGB or Sync lines if the levels are too strong or something? Also on the pin 8 (function switching) do I need to supply 12v or 5 - 6v? If there are any other considerations please let me know!!

Thanks guys! ;)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Pin 8 Status, I think you need 12 volts/10Kohm here to enable the composite vid input on pin 20, so you dont need that, pin 8 should be low if you are inputing RGB to the TV. afaik

Im no expert at this.
BTW when are you going to send me your AD encoder to have a look at ?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
John_Smith said:
Hey there all! I have a couple question on wiring up an MVS board to output to a TV via SCART input. I've got the pinout sorted, but want to know if theres anything I need to add to the RGB or Sync lines if the levels are too strong or something?

Wiring the RGB lines of a MVS board directly to the scart RGB pins will give you a very bright picture. Not overly bright as with CPS2 but still very bright, so you might want to insert resistors in the RGB lines. What value? Something in the 75-100 ohm range (I use 82 ohm). You can do a test with pots and choose the value that works better for you: it's a matter of taste after all.

John_Smith said:
Also on the pin 8 (function switching) do I need to supply 12v or 5 - 6v? If there are any other considerations please let me know!!

See the paragraph "scart control signals":
http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/
As you see, pin 8 is hardly ever needed (I never had the need to wire it). Voltage to pin 16 (5v through a 100 ohm resistor) on the other end is strongly recommended.
If you make a cable with individually shielded conductors (like scart-to-scart or HD15-to-scart) you may want to connect the shieldings to the additional ground pins (5, 9, 13, 17 for B gnd, G gnd, R gnd and sync gnd respectively) otherwise just use pin 17 as the only ground connection. If the cable has an external shielding (a copper braid) connect it to pin 21 (the metal frame that goes all around the scart plug).

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
"You can do a test with pots and choose the value that works better for you: it's a matter of taste after all."

I like your style MKL :)

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks so much for the help there guys, I feel 100% enlightened now.

Toddy: Hehe yeah sorry I hadn't sent ya my couple of AD chip based encoders. To be honest I didn't want to bug you about it really, but I'll get right on it! Actually I'm real interested in that front again as I've just finished my latest Super-Gun and its one sweet piece of kit even if I do say so myself, but for the moment I'll be stuck with only my Nanao 29's gorgeous RGB picture (jeez what a rip :p ), coz I need a reliable and very neat/small encoder for it before I can use it on a TV.

Hell I reckon this Supergun is good enough to put up a gallery for at the SG Repository, so I'll let you guys know when I get that sorted as I'd love to hear your opinions of my work!

Thanks again guys, what would I do without ya :buttrock: