R these 7 Neo Geo MVS games bootlegs since there are EPROM & legit Neo chips in them?

I had posted a previous thread on the Neo-Geo forms where the topic was: “Are my Neo Geo MVS games Real or Bootleg???.” If MVS games that are on SNK branded boards and have EPROM chips on the boards, but have SNK and PCM crypto chips and other legit Neo Geo chips on them as well (this goes for each of the games being mentioned in this posting), does this mean these games are not legit and why are there EPROM chips installed on the game boards with the legit Neo-Geo chips? The 7 MVS games that I own and have these “EPROM” and legit Neo-Geo chips in them are; 1. 3 Count Bout (has 2: ST-V88AA/M27C… chips & 1: NEC-japan/D27C… chips in it, the rest are legit chips (this 3 Count Bout is a US version of the game and it looks just like the picture, on Zonko Gallery’s site, of the Japanese version of the 3 Count Bout)). 2. Art of Fighting (has 1: ST-V88GA/M27C… chips in it, the rest are legit chips). 3. Fatal Fury 2 (has 1: ST-V88KA/M27C… chip (this chip say’s NEC on it), 1: ST-V88JA/M27C… chip (this chip doesn’t say NEC on it) & 1: ST-B88AA/M27C… chip in it, the rest are legit chips). 4. KoF ’96 (has 1: TMS/27C… chip in it (chip has a little tinny “state” of Texas to the left of the TMS writing), the rest are legit chips). 5. Samurai Shodown (has 2: ST-V88AD/M27C… chips in it (on this board, the “ST-“ chips are on the EP2 & EP1 slots and there’s a Toshiba chip on the SP2 slot but not the P1 slot and my second Samurai Shodown game there are 2 Toshiba chips on the SP1 & P1 slots and no chips on the EP2 & EP1 slots, does this mean anything?), the rest are legit chips ). 6. Samurai Shodown 3 (has 2: ST-V88AE/M27C… chip, 1: ST-B88AD/M27C… chip, 1: NEC-japan/D27C… chip and 1: MX/27C… chip in it, the rest are legit chips and this SS3 was bought on the Neo-Geo.com web site as well). Last is, 7. World Heroes (have 2: NEC-Japan chips in them, the rest are legit chips). Since each of my MVS games mentioned have these EPROM and legit Neo-Geo chips in them, this leads me to believe that they are not bootleg MVS games (if you see the pic’s on Zonko gallery’s : Bootleg Fighters: web site that has the legit Zupapa MVS game w/ EPROM chip on it, all my MVS games look just like it in some way). All of my 40+ MVS games (not just the ones mentioned in this posting) were opened and checked and every game was made on branded SNK motherboards and none of these games has faulty game play(all 7 games look and play legit). These 7 games are the only MVS games out of my whole collection that look this way. If I’m wrong about any of the 7 games mentioned or if anyone has a second opinion and can help me with answers, I would really appreciate all help. Thanx. :help:

Last edited:

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i think the reason that some games has some legit chips and eproms is because they had to change the game to a different version.... like a korean version or something.... things like SS2, korean version has a different tittle screen, its called i think salubi spirits...so they had to change the chip to make it do that i suppose

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I think that with some production runs the supply of original roms toshiba or whatever may have been limited in which case eproms where used to complete the run, so eproms doesnt indicate bootleg cart.