Dreamcast 2? - Sega's big announcement at E3 on the 12th of May.

Curt

apostate
If this is true, Then I'll stand in line to get one..

I'm one of the biggest Sega FanBoys you'll ever meet...

I was at Sega of America today (no.. really...)

at midnight...driving around for fun, and two seperate cars drove up with guys that ran across the street signed in and went up stairs(at Midnight...which I thought was odd...) ... I'm not even sure they worked for Sega, (could have been macromedia, which is also located in the same BLDG)

But I did indeed visit sega tonight, and did see that... ... and maybe that will fuel teh drama and get hype to a fevered pitch ;)

Here's a pic I took tonight....
100_2713.jpg

Last edited:

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
If they are planning to release another system I will be all over it :D but I dont really think they are going to produce another system :(

Curt

apostate
Perhaps a Joint Venture Atomiswave project?

IE Sonic The Fighters - The Atomiswave lol

... I'll bet if its hardware it will involve Sammy though. (as Kusanagi Alluded to)

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
Maybe SEGA will be in charge of producing the home console version of the ATOMISWAVE?

Cart-based goodness from Sega and SNK - the thing to have!

Curt

apostate
evo7_31 said:
Maybe SEGA will be in charge of producing the home console version of the ATOMISWAVE?

Cart-based goodness from Sega and SNK - the thing to have!

Aside from being Cart based, this would be very odd...

Atomiswave nearly = Dreamcast Hardware...

Cartridges are more expensive... so unless the want to create a niche market like...

*looks around :eye: :eye: *

I find that unlikely.

set2134

New Challenger
I hope this is true...... I will definatly buy a jap console will take forever to reach us in the uk :oh_no: Thats if it ever happens.. Fingers crossed folks :multi_co:

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
I don't understand this speculation, but there were apparently rumours of this at the AOU show a couple of months back. Can't see it happening myself. Its going to be a very interesting E3 though, what with the Nintendo DS and PSP as well.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Nah, I won't happen.

Sega is probably working on a new kind of game, or working on a project like some mario game, or something like that.

set2134

New Challenger
Hopefully not another sonic adventure game i think that has becoming quite embracing now :crying:

mgruber

Mega Shock!!
CurtWRX said:
Aside from being Cart based, this would be very odd...

Atomiswave nearly = Dreamcast Hardware...

Cartridges are more expensive... so unless the want to create a niche market like...

*looks around :eye: :eye: *

I find that unlikely.

You beat me to it. Indeed, the Atomiswave is "watered down Naomi hardware," while Naomi is "beefed up Dreamcast hardware." Where does that leave the Dreamcast compared to Atomiswave? Probably damn close in specs.

One would think that even if the dreamcast is slightly less powerful than the Atomiswave, wouldn't almost all of the games port nearly directly over? The only thing I can think of would be that SNKP/Sammy wants to stay with the cart format to avoid easy piracy and prevent hefty load times.

mgruber

Mega Shock!!
Another thing I just thought of... It'd be pretty hard to swallow if the Dreamcast versions of these Atomiswave games were being sold at $399 a pop, like AES. Now, if Sammy had its own home console based exactly on the Atomiswave specs, like AES was to MVS, Sammy could easily charge $399 per game. The new hardware wouldn't be "home console" caliber anymore, regardless of how cheap the actual console and games are to make, manufacturing wise (ignoring R&D costs).

In reality, we can look at Nintendo's N64 console. The decision was made to stay with a cart based system versus a disc like the PS1 because of load times and piracy concerns. The prices of the games were still at or sub $50 per title, especially after memory prices came down in the mid 90s. Cart systems aren't nearly as expensive to manufacture as they were 15 or 20 years ago. Granted, they're still much more expensive than manufacturing discs, but certainly not cost prohibitive.

Sammy might actually see the need to introduce an Atomiswave home based system. After all, an industry powerhouse is developing games solely for their arcade hardware now, so there is definitely some draw to their system.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
No way this will happen. Unfortunately, Sega's hardware days are all over :crying: :crying:

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
anyone got any other ideas what the big announcement will be?

I reckon shenmue 3 being announced or something. the press release suggests something bigger though...

set2134

New Challenger
Thats a good point probably is a shenmue thing :( Guess we will all have to wait untill May 12th to find out

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Why the flying fuck would the store at neo-geo.com carry Dreamcast 2? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard EVER.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
5thlion5thlion said:
all i want to know is will the neo store carry this hardware if it is true?

Haha...don't be silly...your local radio shack will carry one if its a huge sega production rollout....this thing won't be shrouded in obscurity like the Neo/AW/etc.

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
leGionellz said:
Nah, I won't happen.

Sega is probably working on a new kind of game, or working on a project like some mario game, or something like that.

Sonic vs Mario: Chaos! :make_fac:

Nintendo and Sega combining forces to produce some original titles would be pretty cool though. It's more likely anyways. I really don't see the hardware thing happening.

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
Well i spoke to someone who works in the game bussiness and he told me what he heard.. please take this for what it is..noting more dont flame me.. this is ONLY what i heard..

1. sammy will start to use sega name soon.. as they own most of the shares.
2. sammy/sega/snk are going in as main players for the new dreamcast
3. it will be shown at E3
4. i will be for arcade lovers / hardcore gamers.
5. will run on a sum what atomswave / naomi 3 system w/ dvd player
6. will be backwards compatable with dc
7. will be online.
8. will come with a dvd remote
9. a good amount of companys are on board to develop for it like capcom
10. as for right now its code name is DC2

this is all i remember ... remember tis might be all bullshit for all i know..
i don't know any more than this..
all i know is i hope its true will be awesome from what it "might" sound like.
well E3 is in 2 weeks.. not to long to wait.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Shin-Strider said:
Sonic vs Mario: Chaos! :make_fac:

Nintendo and Sega combining forces to produce some original titles would be pretty cool though. It's more likely anyways. I really don't see the hardware thing happening.

thats what i was gonna say actually. Some crossover, that "you'd never expect"...kinda like the tribal GBA "identifying with todays aggressive youth"

No hardware though...unfortunately.

Splatterhouse news is GREAT, if only they'd do a sequel...in 2D or 2.5D

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
Syxx573 said:
Why the flying fuck would the store at neo-geo.com carry Dreamcast 2? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard EVER.

Yo fuck you you bitch ass mofo its so easy to talk shit from where you at cock sniffer