SE United States meet-up. Location and fees set. Need definate attendees. Confirm!

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Defaulted/Cancelled!--SE United States meet-up.

Thread for members to discuss meet-ups in Southeastern United States, including all states once part of the Confederacy:

Alabama
Georgia
North and South Carolina
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
and Virginia (Excluding West Virginia, as they refused to seceed. :D )

I thought it was a good idea to include so many states in one place due to how rural they tend to be.

Discuss as you will!

--KagerouSama

EditNote: Removed Florida for now....they seem to have quite a few get togethers on their own...but still welcome. And I suppose I could include Texas, even though they joined the union after the Civil War...I'm not sure if Texas is considered part of the Bible Belt or the beginning of the Midwest. (f.y.i. wanted in as Slave state, but denied if I remember right.)....this get together thread may just be edited to four-states to keep things better managed.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I'd like to host one since Huntsville seems to be in the middle of where a lot of members are (2 hours from Atlanta and Nashville, 4 hours from Memphis and Knoxville). Wouldn't be able to pull a good one unless my folks went outta town and left me home alone (dunno how that'd manage to happen).

If someone else is hosting I'd be down for a little road trip (just got my own car). I have MVS carts, and will have a consolized MVS soon.

My games:
Art of Fighting 3
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2k2
Metal Slug 2
Rage of the Dragons
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Samurai Shodown 1
Samurai Shodown 3
Samurai Shodown 5
Stakes Winner

I'm cool with bringing a few to the event, I'd hate to lug all of em with me.

Dunno if I'd drive more than about 2 hours to the gathering though, but who knows..

Maybe this thing will take off.

-Matt

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Okay, cool.

Neo Ash may be in a better centralized location for a meet-up. But I don't want to voluenteer him for this service, it's not my intention.

Only Neo I have to date is a Pocket Color...not much for a get-together. I can't really go AES or MVS because, unfortunately, I'm too heavily invested in Sony to pull out now.

However, I do have quite the boatload of "inferior ports" I could bring to the occasion. Even though I may also have to bring co-axial and component cables, along with the systems, I wouldn't mind so much as I'd actually be getting competition.

I've got a good many controllers for all but my SuperNES...but with better ports on faster systems, it wouldn't really be worth hauling along unless someone was die-hard on playing some World Heores.

Hopefully the meet-up thread will get a tad more life to it...we may see some southerners comming out of the woodwork.

Btw, should I bring a pre-seasoned skillet for the cornbread, or is one of those readily available?

--KagerouSama

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I’d really like to host a meet. Unfortunately I can’t.:( I’m transferring to a different college, Georgia College and State University, so I will not be home that often. I have not added a new game to my AES collection in a very long time; I’ve been concentrating on my Neo CD collection. I don’t really have a good setup…only 1 27” TV that sucks. I’d be glad to bring a few games or whatever to a meet. I just can’t pull off hosting one right now.

What’s up with the Southeast in general, especially Georgia and Alabama. The Neo scene is basically nonexistent.:mad:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
What’s up with the Southeast in general, especially Georgia and Alabama. The Neo scene is basically nonexistent.

I, for one, blame the Parent Teacher Associations.
It's been a lot of litigation that I think led to it. People were okay, back when I lived in Talladega, Alabama, with having a Street Fighter 2 cabinet at the local Wal-Mart. Most of the teens and a few adults enjoyed button-mashing for Chun-li or E. Honda.

But a few years later Mortal Kombat came out, followed shortly by Primal Rage...and parents, local community leaders, and the parsonage started viewing these games in general under a different light since they went from mild-cartoon like violence in an animated setting to a gory, bloody, maiming gauge fest complete with fatalities and animalities and the like.

Since then the trend shifted back to gambling machins and hunting games. In the City of Calhoun alone there are more shooters than you can shake a stick at. The only fight games we had left were on an UltraCade cabinet at the Wilco truckstop in Resaca up untill a little over a month ago--where they replaced it with, of all things, a gambling/carnival simulator that used a light gun!

As far as the rest of the scene goes in my surrounding counties, there's a dance machine, Namco fighters, and a SF3:TS machine that gets some hispanic play (my only available competition.).

Other than that, it's shooters out the wazoo, old Midway sports games, or Pac-Man. The only Neo I can find up here is in the local theatre running only Metal Slug X. Other than that, the only other Neo I've seen in the state was in Valdosta, Ga playing Puzzle Bobble 2.

It's been a trend to moves towards that "God of Football," and the military trend of "shootin' a gun what ta' kill stuff."

I just hope the trend changes soon. Most all my 2d games outshine the vast majority of 3d games anyday. I just have to hope that one day people will realize that gameplay can be better valued that graphics.

--KagerouSama

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, currently I'm in Knoxville. For another week. Then its back to Jacksonville, FL. There really is not a lot of people anywhere. I know 2 in Knoxville including myself. Giga Power is somewhere in east TN not sure where, a few in Memphis complete other side of the state.

Problem is nothing is centralized. Maybe a meetup at one of the Atlanta auctions in the morning then someone around there would be good Atlanta seems fairly centered to everyone.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN! :p

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

They have their X, we have ours.
confederate%20flag%202.jpg

Neo Ash

KagerouSama…you’re exactly right. One game that really pushed things over the edge was Time Killers. Gaming in the South sucks! I had never seen or touched an AES until I got mine…all those years of waiting.

Where are the Southeast ng.com members at....get in on this thread!

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Back to my previous rant......

I remembered soemthing I left out.
Another reason the Neo never really took off, especially for Georgia and Alabama, could probably best be that the vast majority of the citizens in these states are low and middle income brackets.

And, while games are fun to have, medical expenses, food, clothing, and housing often take priority. For those that do game, they usually go with the cheaper home systems and whatever games have been advertised over what games they've played in arcades. (It's why I can't go full out Neo myself.)

Other than that, I think I've touched all the points there is to touch on this now.

--KageoruSama

Neo Ash

I think this thread deserves a sticky. Modz please sticky...thanks.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
There are two other members in the Huntsville area, one doesn't post anymore (suicidesamuri) and the other I haven't seen online in a few days (jp.). If I can get in touch with either I'll see what there stance is on hosting something.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Well, the sticky won't happen. Sure, it could happen....
But, in hindsight...it doesn't make too much sense to sticky a region-specific thread...so I'm renouncing the thread title's request for a sticky.

--KagerouSama

Btw, any ideas for a name for a SEUS meet-up?
Maybe the Cornbread classic? I dunno'....

Or, looking back at my post... how about the "Dr. SEUS-togethers?"

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
When do you guys plan on doing this, If it is later in the summer I could possibly drive up (before July, but after June 5th).

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Date and Time are uncertain at the moment. I suppose it depends on when BeefJerky breaks down to host.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
LOL, thanks Kagerou.

I dunno, how about we rent like a hotel business meeting room or something? There's a hotel here in Madison off the interstate (a smallish city right outside West Huntsville) that does that. We could always do that I suppose. Sometime in the summer sounds good, that would allow students to be on summer break, etc. A few people could lug some TVs or monitors up there, a couple power strips, a few Neos, games, refreshments (someone buy a keg :glee: ), and I think we'd be set.

Also, we could hold a little buying/selling/trading session which would be a nice way to circulate Neo stuff. I for one would love to see interest and participation in that.

We could also do tournaments and have an award ceremony ala the Anaheim gathering. Who will take home the Worst Competitor award?? You'll have to show up to find out. :buttrock:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
What's the name of the Hotel? You know if there's a site with rental information?

Hmm, we'd need power strips, a few extension cords......

Any reqested games for a meet up?

Should we each list what we respectively own to pick and choose tournaments?

We kinda need feedback n' such...

Just keep in mind, Matt. If it's being held in such a public forum as a hotel business room or ballroom area, alcohol probably isn't the best idea--especially to present a public image. That, and I'd rather not hear any news being reported around for aiding a minor in aquiring alcohol. (An offense quite punishable in Georgia.)
If you really want to get away with getting beer for youself, you may want to find a more private forum to do it.

--KagerouSama

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
What's the name of the Hotel? You know if there's a site with rental information?

Hmm, we'd need power strips, a few extension cords......

Any reqested games for a meet up?

Should we each list what we respectively own to pick and choose tournaments?

We kinda need feedback n' such...

Just keep in mind, Matt. If it's being held in such a public forum as a hotel business room or ballroom area, alcohol probably isn't the best idea--especially to present a public image. That, and I'd rather not hear any news being reported around for aiding a minor in aquiring alcohol. (An offense quite punishable in Georgia.)
If you really want to get away with getting beer for youself, you may want to find a more private forum to do it.

--KagerouSama

Yeah, I was serious about getting beer. :make_fac:

Anyways, here it is, Holiday Inn of Madison, AL http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/emhd/hsvat

It'll say on the address it's in Huntsville which is kind of true. Madison is a bit of an odd town, we're here, then if you keep going West down Madison Boulevard there's a few miles that's still technically Huntsville. It's weird, I won't get into it, but yeah, they have meeting rooms, pretty nice hotel, etc.

As for what games, how about everyone just lists what they have to bring then we decide from there. I think I already listed what I have, all of you do the same.

For tournies (of what I have) I'm nominating King of Fighters 2002 and Samurai Shodown 3. I'm probably gonna have more games before then so I'll keep all of you informed.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
I've got "Ye ole trusty Dreamcast" with '98, MOTW, LB2 and Puzzle Bobble 4 if were desparate for Neo Gameplay....

I've got SF3: TS and CVS if those'll be popular enough.
Soul Calibur and VF3 too.
If we want a cheesefest, there's MVC and MVC2..
I may wanna' avoid my PSX games, unless there's a huge demand for a Capcom fighter I have.
Darkstalkers, Darkstalkers 3, Street Fighter Collection, SFA2. (CVSPro if we absolutely must have Dan and Joe.)

There's Ridge Racer games...but not really condusive to tournaments.

--KagerouSama

Neo Ash

BeefJerky said:
LOL, thanks Kagerou.

I dunno, how about we rent like a hotel business meeting room or something? There's a hotel here in Madison off the interstate (a smallish city right outside West Huntsville) that does that. We could always do that I suppose. Sometime in the summer sounds good, that would allow students to be on summer break, etc. A few people could lug some TVs or monitors up there, a couple power strips, a few Neos, games, refreshments (someone buy a keg :glee: ), and I think we'd be set.

Also, we could hold a little buying/selling/trading session which would be a nice way to circulate Neo stuff. I for one would love to see interest and participation in that.

We could also do tournaments and have an award ceremony ala the Anaheim gathering. Who will take home the Worst Competitor award?? You'll have to show up to find out. :buttrock:

I like this idea. Give the hotel a call and get a price. I have no idea how much something like this would cost. The cost should be spilt among those that will be attending. Looks like the hotel has a fast internet connection and a projection system...super big screen Neo.:buttrock:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Those accomidations look nice. But may be a bit big if our only turnout is a whopping three people.

A big screen would be awesome! Unfortunately, the hotel also lists most of the rooms as having natural lighting....which can mean it's either inside flourescents (liveable) or there are windows facing out into sunlight, which could mean a lot of glare on screens, providing it's sunny out.

Price per-person, per-night there right now looks to be kinda' high.. (quote was 89.xx, but part of a package deal I beleive.)

@Matt: how about calling them up and asking when their slow season of the summer is?....maybe we can get a better rate for then, as hotels usually drop a price if business is low.

How about food? The hotel lists quite a few places within two miles of the hotel. Maybe International House of Pancakes or Subway? Or maybe we should bring coverd-dish supper or brown-bag it..... whatever general concesus seems to be.

Anywho....the SouthEast US lies in wait!

--KagerouSama

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I'll give em a call tomorrow. Let's see how many attendees we'll have before we make anything definate, I'll look around at some of the other hotels off the interstate there (off I-565, which turns into I-65 for those wondering). If there's not gonna be a lot of confirmed turn-out I may just do it at my house (heh). Let's get intouch with people on the forums and see if we can get loads of people into this. Show those west-coast punks how the hicks have a Neo party. ;)

As for food and shit, within walking distance of that hotel is: Quizno's, Krystal's and Wendy's. That's if you don't wanna dodge across the highway. Up and down the highway though there's also (trying my best from memory): McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Subzone (the best), Tenders (chicken place, they suck IMO), Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesdays and Pizza Hut. There's also a Wal-Mart so we can buy massive amounts of soda for cheap. They also have cheaper smokes and beer for the of-age crowd ( :p ). IHOP and other such places are on the other side of town, so unless you wanna go out of your way it's not an option.

I was talking to Tom Wopat and chat and had a good idea, how about if we rent out a meeting room for 2 days for anyone that comes from farther away (Like Tom, he lives in Louisiana) so they don't have to drive for hours on end at night without sleep. Just sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag or some shit.

I'll get details tomorrow, also from other hotels, not just the Holiday Inn.

Let people know about this guys! The more the merrier, and the more the cheaper!!

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Let people know about this guys! The more the merrier, and the more the cheaper!!

Okay...I'll add a link to sig. Krystal sounds good to me...it's the cocane of fast food....

Two days sounds better too. It can take more than a day to drive to east Alabama from Southern Louisiana, I can understand a day extention. Still, we'll need to know a going rate.

--KagerouSama

--BTW, is anyone else really about to get fedup with the smilie-box, or is it just me?

Last edited:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Daily Bibbidy-bump-a-dumfh.

So this post isn't 100% bump.
There was a chat discussion about inviting Shawn down to participate. Don't think he will, but at least the idea's out in the open now.

--KageoruSama

Last edited: