SUCCESS!! Daraku Tenshi region toggle switch mod.

SSS

neo retired
Big Big thanks to MKL, or I would never have attempted this stunt. (see his link below). I ran out to radio shack and got a small toggle switch and some solder. I widened a predrilled hole so I could mount the toggle switch on the pcb. I cut the trace between the two semicircles in the JP-5 (see diagram in link below). I then soldered the ends of the wires to the switch, ran under the pcb up that middle hole there then over to the JP-5. One end on each semicircle. End result... can play in Japanese or English with the flip of a switch. Teh Coolness. See the pics:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/samuraishodown/dt1.JPG

http://members.lycos.co.uk/samuraishodown/dt2.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/samuraishodown/dt3.jpg

and for anyone interested a large scan of the DT marquee:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/samuraishodown/daraku.jpg

--------------------------------------------
In MAME, you can change the region through a virtual dipswitch setting. Game plays in english and Japanese. Which leads me to believe the "world" version data is also contained in the japanese pcb. But there is no actual dipswitch. Is there anywhere on the board where I could do a mod (perhaps a jumper of some sorts) to change the region over?

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Sorry, but I can't help you on the dips thing. But, it's nice to see others enjoying the game! I can't wait to get it up in a cab!

Good luck! I am also interested in this, but would never risk F'ing up this game for something like region switches...

SSS

neo retired
THANK YOU MKL!!!! I took the plunge and cut the trace. Plays in english now. Went to radio shack got some solder and a tiny toggle switch. I'll get back to you all in a few hours. Later

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
when you told me about this, I was really really impressed.

really.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
how hard was it to cut the line between the 2 half moons?
any tips on soldering to those half moon spots?

I will definitely do this now that I can see it, but I am goign to wait until I get it up in a cab, which could be a LONG TIME!! :crying:

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I love Daraku Tenshi and would love to get a complete cab including the marquee and art. But I doubt this will ever happen. When ever I find the game it's always just the PCB. I play it on my Cab at home through MAME all the time (I don't think it's too slow might be your computer) it runs flawlessly for me. But to own such a great unknown game would rock.
I'm so addicted to this game that even my character in Gunbound is named DarakuTenshi. Oh and if you would like check this out. My old website.
Daraku Tenshi

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Well, I have an Athlon 2100 with GF 4 MX 64 DDR and 512MB RAM, but it frame skipping like hell.

Other emulated hardware (even other psikyo games) runs perfectly. :very_ang:

I user Mame+.

SSS

neo retired
NGT said:
how hard was it to cut the line between the 2 half moons?
any tips on soldering to those half moon spots?

Cutting the line between the half moons is the easiest part. I just carefully scratched at it with sharp pick thing that came with the solder gun I bought.

As for soldering... just use a small amount of solder, and if you have parkinson's let someone else do it for you.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
does the solder take to the half moons pretty easily?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
Well, I have an Athlon 2100 with GF 4 MX 64 DDR and 512MB RAM, but it frame skipping like hell.

Other emulated hardware (even other psikyo games) runs perfectly. :very_ang:

I user Mame+.

Thats odd. I've got a 1.6 Gig Athlon, All-In-Wonder 8600, 512MB DDR. No frame skip and it runs perfect. Not sure what you ment by Mame+ but I use Mame32.