What caused this Capacitor to be like this...?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
What caused this Capacitor to be like this...?

LILC_007.jpg

CAP.jpg

I had a sound problem in the Mini Neo Geo conversion..The sound kept going out during the second demo...(sometimes/but often)
(I haven't determined the problem yet though the cabs been running for hours with another power supply,similar type and the sound is working..

I don't know what this orange capped Capacitor does..if it's a Capacitor ..

I took this Peter Chou power supply out to take a look at it..the outer casing looks brand new..
When I shook it I heard a rattle..the orange cover on what looks to be paper inside with a brownish bottom(looking burnt) Capacitor was loose and came off.

..It says some numbers and VENT on the side of the cap..

What I figure happened is the guy I got the cab from pushed to hard on the wire screws pushing them in where it hit the one resistor(see how it's bent..

I'm surprised it even worked like this...just what does the broken part do..?

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I'm surprised it worked too. Those are capacitors and that one looks super screwed up. The numbers on it are probably the uF and Voltage, yes? You can easily (well, pretty easily) find and replace that. Even getting a new power supply is pretty easy for that.

The inductor/choke (that coil looking thing) looks bent too, but as long as the wires are intact, it's probably fine.

A power supply like that one can be gotten from Jameco usually. They have a lot of them.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
D-Lite said:
I'm surprised it worked too. Those are capacitors and that one looks super screwed up. The numbers on it are probably the uF and Voltage, yes? You can easily (well, pretty easily) find and replace that. Even getting a new power supply is pretty easy for that.

The inductor/choke (that coil looking thing) looks bent too, but as long as the wires are intact, it's probably fine.

A power supply like that one can be gotten from Jameco usually. They have a lot of them.

Yes..
I was very surprised this Power Supply was working..The Mortal Kombat PCB worked flawlessly with it.

At the point below in the square the 5V+ is against a resistor..I figure this caused the cap..I guess to pop..and it worked like this.
CAP.jpg

The Cap says 3300 UF/16v

I have some other spare(similar power supplies) and others..
I'll thow this in the pile of spare parts..I already put a new on in the cab..

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
That electro cap maybe the -5 volt decoupling/smoothing capacitor. The resistor pigtails touching its uninsulated can may have caused the result we are talking about.
It would not have an effect on a MVS board "I had a sound problem in the Mini Neo Geo conversion..The sound kept going out during the second demo...(sometimes/but often" maybe a red herring.
Im suprised the MK board worked well with sound as it requires the -5 rail.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
That electro cap maybe the -5 volt decoupling/smoothing capacitor. The resistor pigtails touching its uninsulated can may have caused the result we are talking about.
It would not have an effect on a MVS board "I had a sound problem in the Mini Neo Geo conversion..The sound kept going out during the second demo...(sometimes/but often" maybe a red herring.
Im suprised the MK board worked well with sound as it requires the -5 rail.

Yea I know..The MK was working fine,sound etc...I don't understand how.
I never did take a voltage reading of the -5V though..

I disconnected the -5V when I installed the MV-1 PCB so I never gave it a second thought.

Maybe this Capacitor wasn't blown yet..
Though the screw board on the power supply was clearly bent when I went to do the conversion I didn't want to mess with it since the cab was working well.
But I did take off the -5V..my final push may have knocked the parts together and fried that cap..
I didn't hear any pop or..when I turned the cab back on.

What would you hear when a Capacitor burns out..?..if anything)
The metal cap was just floating/very loose on it's base like it exploded.