Are Neo games as cheesy in Japanese?

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I know there are at least a few members of this board that have a certain level of mastery over the the Japanese language, and for them I have a question.

I finally sat down to a game of Last Blade 2, and it was the English version. The game looked like a work of art; a masterpiece, even. The presentation, the character design, the backgrounds, the level introductions, everything. I couldn't hear the music very well, so I can't comment there, but what I saw was mind-blowing.

Although... the victory messages seemed rather lame. Some of them were so bad that I felt almost embarrassed to read them.

I played KOF 2000 and 2001 at my university arcade in years past, and they were in Japanese. I was curious as to what was being said, but not understanding the text did nothing to take away from the game. I'm now afraid to try the games in English.

My question, as you may have guessed from the title, is as follows: is the dialogue in Neo games just as lame sounding in Japanese, or was it merely a poor translation job that ruined it?

I suppose it's just as well to throw in a couple more questions while I'm at it.

Are all English translations of Neo games cringe-inducing? Which are/aren't? Am I silly for even caring?

I'm not expecting heartrending dramatic excellence from a 2D fighter, but I didn't enjoy how the choppy translation in Last Blade 2 affected how immersed I was in the game (admittedly, the frustratingly damaged controllers, the loud arcade and the swarm of gamers within didn't help... oh, I long for the days to come when I will have a more permanent place of residence to house a cab or set up a console).

My thanks in advance.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Brad said:
My question, as you may have guessed from the title, is as follows: is the dialogue in Neo games just as lame sounding in Japanese, or was it merely a poor translation job that ruined it?

speak for yourself. made translations are what turn a 9/10 neo game into an 11/10 neo game.

YA SILLY!

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I must admit I always play neo games in jap because some of the translations are very corny, I prefer to not understand what is being said on screen.............

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I think for the most part the Japanese is much better than its English counter parts. The Samurai series especially is MUCH better in a Japanese.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Amano Jacu said:
I can tell you the Spanish versions are even "cheesier". :loco:
Sooo true!!
The Neo's Spanish translations are almost surrealist :eek:

[OCEAN]

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I can tell you the Spanish versions are even "cheesier". :loco:

Holy shites!!! :eek: :eek: That's some series Velveeta.

Anyway, I always found the cheesy translations to be kind of amusing. They seemed stupid at first, but then they kind of grew on me.

I <3 teh engrish

aria

Former Moderator
I admit, the claim of Spanish translations being worse has only whet my appetite too.

How bad are we talking? I wonder if, instead of Japanese-to-Spanish, they're actually doing Japanese-Engrish-Spanish.

In that case, would we then have "Spangrish" :D That actually sounds hillarious, I may add that term to the Neo Glossary.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Japanese-Engrish-Spanish.
QUOTE]

I dont think I can comprehend just how bad that might be. :envy:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Bobak said:
In that case, would we then have "Spangrish" :D That actually sounds hillarious, I may add that term to the Neo Glossary.

:lol: :lol: ..... Spangrish. Just when I thought those two years of Spanish in high school would never pay off ....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd assume that there is some "cheesyness" I mean we are talking about a country that worships Hello Kitty.....

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
I go for the toe

Lots of things werent meant to be translated. Being bilingual I know this. Lots of times someone tries to describe something translated and everyone looks like this :confused:. Its the cultrual stuff that really makes for jokes. Translated Neo games are like watching "Cult Classics" chinese movies. Listen to the dialogue. Its disgustingly funny. If you could see the mouths on the neo characters move it would look just the same as the cult classics movies.

Now try translating it from 1 language to another then to another. 3 translations would really cause all the cheeses to flow (Butt cheese, toe cheese, chedder cheese...you just name it)

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Eldios said:
I think for the most part the Japanese is much better than its English counter parts. The Samurai series especially is MUCH better in a Japanese.
Same with Ryuuko no Ken 2 / Art of Fighting 2. To me, the Japanese dialogue reads like something out of a good martial arts movie/manga/anime -- the English version is just pure drek, forced upon us by SNK USA staff members who couldn't cut it at open-mic night at their local comedy clubs and chose us as the targets of their perverted vengeance.

--Chris

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I have serious doubts about whether the people writing English Neo Geo dialogue even spoke English at all, or were American. The translators at SNK USA were probably mostly Japanese guys shipped over from the mother land - with 2 or 3 English classes under their belt.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
galfordo said:
I have serious doubts about whether the people writing English Neo Geo dialogue even spoke English at all, or were American. The translators at SNK USA were probably mostly Japanese guys shipped over from the mother land - with 2 or 3 English classes under their belt.
With the amount of English-language slang and bad English-language puns & jokes, I've never been able to imagine SNK's English-language "translators" as anything other than American. ;)

--Chris

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
On the serious note why would you be embarrassed? Do you get embarrassed when you watch bad Kung Fu movies/ There is comedy value there. Laugh! Have a good time. If you are that serious about the text just dont read it. Enjoy the game as a whole...I am starting to...

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
If I want to see the ending of KOF team, I'll play in english, but other than that I play in Japanese. Understanding the insults isn't that important when I'm trying to practice isn't to important to me.

Tyrant

n00b
I just wish there was a way of editing the dialogue in NeoGeo games for the sake of a better(and actual) translation.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
For the most part, the win-quotes, ending scenes, captions etc. are more serious in Japanese. There is no Japanese equivalent to the 'This place smells of Evil. And gym socks!' cheesiness of some of the English translations.

That being said, although the Japanese dialogue is more serious, it's still pretty cheesy in a 'Dungeons & Dragons' kind of way. There's lots of 'my buring fist of justice will smite you, villian' stuff, which would sound totally dorky if you said it to anyone in real life.

My wife always cracks up when I'm playing and she hears characters say things like 'Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku' or even 'Hadouken!' just because they sound so corny.

Dash no Chris said:
With the amount of English-language slang and bad English-language puns & jokes, I've never been able to imagine SNK's English-language "translators" as anything other than American.

SNK translators have always had an incredible grasp of English slang, puns, and jokes, but the basic structure and grammar of the translated dialogue is still too awkward to be the product of a native English speaker. I'm sure the translators have native English speakers helping them, but the final product is still written by Japanese.

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the helpful input, fellows.

I sometimes have the mindset that the bad translation is hilarious, and much of the time it is, but in a game like Last Blade... everything else in its presentation and atmosphere seemed so well-crafted, the bad translation is almost a sin.

Not that I let something like that totally ruin the game for me, or anything. I still think it's wonderful. It's just me being nitpicky, I suppose.

Bad translation in other games would be less of a problem, like in a game with the reputation of Matrimelee (haven't played it, I'm being presumptuous). Everyone says don't take the game too seriously... have fun with it. In a game like that, I would be find the Engrish hilarious and not entirely out of place.

But playing Last Blade left me wanting more and I was curious if it was the translation or the original content that caused the problem. Hence the question(s) in my opening post, which were kindly answered by those more knowledgable than I.

Victoly!

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
If you guys think the Spanish dialogues are cheesy, you must see the portuguese versions... compared to them the spanish ones are to par with the engrish ones.

Take a look at the AOF3, playing with Ryo of Robert(o) =P

It can't be almost understood! The Spanish is funny, but the portuguese is written in a language that no portuguese speaker understands ^^

Well, and ALL genre references are wrong.

PS: the english in Matrimelee is almost perfect, compared to ALL other SNK/SNKP releases. I don't remember to had found engrish in any of dialogues that I had saw.

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
tsukaesugi said:
For the most part, the win-quotes, ending scenes, captions etc. are more serious in Japanese. There is no Japanese equivalent to the 'This place smells of Evil. And gym socks!' cheesiness of some of the English translations.

That being said, although the Japanese dialogue is more serious, it's still pretty cheesy in a 'Dungeons & Dragons' kind of way. There's lots of 'my buring fist of justice will smite you, villian' stuff, which would sound totally dorky if you said it to anyone in real life.
Of course, if we could kick as much ass as the average Kim Kaphwan or Joe Higashi type, we'd being saying shit like that all the time. With the martial arts to back up such talk, I doubt anyone'd call us "dorky" -- at least not to our faces, anyway.
tsukaesugi said:
My wife always cracks up when I'm playing and she hears characters say things like 'Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku' or even 'Hadouken!' just because they sound so corny.
Granted, the idea of a martial artist (or a robot pilot) yelling out the name of each of his techniques (or weapon systems) as he performs (or activates) them can cross the line from dramatic to silly depending on presentation. The very concept is just so manga/anime to begin with. I often think you have to be a guy (and often a certain type of guy) to think of stuff like that as "cool" or "badass." I don't think I could be such a huge fan of Gaogaigar if I wasn't that type of guy.

I think you've nailed it with your use of the word "corny." Perhaps what we need to do is make a distinction between the kind of "cheese" were referring to in this thread. Brad calls the SNKgrish text as "cheesy" in his header, but the word his uses in his post is "lame" (personally, I would add "stupid," "dumb," "retarded," and "just not funny"). On the other hand, the "more serious Japanese dialogue that's still cheesy in a certain way" could probably best be referred to as "corny," "hokey," or "cliched" (for example, Kim Kaphwan's prebout voice effect: "Aku wa yurusan!" ["Evil is unforgiveable!" or "Evil will be shown no mercy!"]).

As a long-time fan of hot-blooded robot anime, I absolutely love the corny/hokey/cliched dialogue of heroes who shout the names of their weapons while fighting in the name of love/truth/justice/etc. However, with one or two very rare exceptions, I really detest the English text in NEO games, riddled as it is with missing plot and character elements replaced with the "translator's" halfbaked attempts at humor.
tsukaesugi said:
SNK translators have always had an incredible grasp of English slang, puns, and jokes, but the basic structure and grammar of the translated dialogue is still too awkward to be the product of a native English speaker. I'm sure the translators have native English speakers helping them, but the final product is still written by Japanese.
As far as the awkwardness of basic structure and grammar goes, I'd agree with you with regards to the Samurai Spirits series ("Long long ago, there was a man who tried to make his skills the ultimate. Because of his bloody life, it was no accident that he was involved in the troubles..."). But I don't really seem to recall the same sort of awkwardness in the English versions of AoF2 or the KOF series. Hrm. I'll have to take a glance at the SNKgrish sections of my ALL ABOUT books when I get home.

--Chris

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
heh, great thread...Engrish on the NEO can't miss for entertainment value...

Brad: yeah, sometimes when you're trying to get into a game in a serious manner, the quotes can throw you off, but it's just one of those things you have to take with a good sense of humor...and you haven't seen cheesy dialogue until you've played Fatal Fury Special...if that doesn't put a smile on your face I don't know what will...

:eek_2:

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
"What a nice person! You kindly give the palm to such a crock." :tickled: :crying: :mad: :drool: :envy:
Does anyone know wtf Nicotine was talking about?

Matsukaze

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
"Muetai champ? More like Muetai champ!" :oh_no:

P.S.
Forgive the bad grammar if any.