Somebody beat this score

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
kof97score.jpg

I know it is not the absolute best in the world but still I am very very proud of it. Achieved this morning of all days. level-8 of course. Come now, let the competition begin!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Stephane said:
j'essaye ce soir a la maison, et je posterais demain !

Bon j'attends avec hate tes resultats. J'ai entendu dire que tu es un maitre de KOF.

mr Flux: Looking forward to it. Still can't believe I blew my straight on Orochi Shermie of all people.. :annoyed: At least the perfect on Yashiro helped ease the pain, and loss of points.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I quick game yesterday evening just before I went to a friend's birthday party turned out a measly 380k-something. NGCD version, one credit, lvl. 8, Kensou - Ralf - Ryo. Guess I have to do more straight wins. Sorry, no digicam here so you have to take my word on this and any further score entries...! :)

Ha ha, must be more than half a year ago when I fired up 97 for the last time and after all these countless hours of 2k1 it felt slow like World Heroes at first... but the CPU is so much better than in any of the later KoFs, at least it's not as incredibly dumb as in 2k1 or 2k2.

Man, everytime I see Bali stage I go like, hey, this must be the coolest-looking stage ever... the atmosphere is so great, I almost lost to Terry while watching the soothing colors of the evening sky in the background...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I got around 425,000

Gonna give it another run through..

You getting all straights when you do yours?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
SonGohan said:
I got around 425,000

Gonna give it another run through..

You getting all straights when you do yours?

Up there I got all straights except on the Orochi Team, for once. And as many perfects as I can skillfully or cheaply rack up on the board.

@Takumaji: My 2002 playing stopped one year ago so I can't comment but the AI in '97 is full of loopholes. I always used to joke this was the KOF where the AI went on holiday. People like me still do not necessarily learn to take advantage of such opportunities, or suck enough that they can't, but they are there.

Like many people I love the three semi-final stages most of all for the atmosphere the game boils up to. I wish I could pay more attention to it instead of having to concentrate so much on not blowing my score right before the final.

FatGuy you win a fistful of NBM Bonus Bucks.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
Up there I got all straights except on the Orochi Team, for once. And as many perfects as I can skillfully or cheaply rack up on the board.

@Takumaji: My 2002 playing stopped one year ago so I can't comment but the AI in '97 is full of loopholes. I always used to joke this was the KOF where the AI went on holiday. People like me still do not necessarily learn to take advantage of such opportunities, or suck enough that they can't, but they are there.

Like many people I love the three semi-final stages most of all for the atmosphere the game boils up to. I wish I could pay more attention to it instead of having to concentrate so much on not blowing my score right before the final.

FatGuy you win a fistful of NBM Bonus Bucks.

The engine IMO is partially more clever than in later KoFs, for ex. if you cheap around with one and the same move over and over again, but I agree, generally it's not really hard or something, just more, well, reserved and direct than 2k2 (or 2k1 for that matter). Specially the 2k2 CPU doesn't do a lot of combos, and it only combos/supercancels into supers if you're about to straight-win a match; charas like CPU Iori would then come up with his qcf x4+AC follow-up to his Ya Otome DM, etc.

Yep there are loopholes, some CPU opponents suddenly stop attacking for a while if you hit them with a barrage of combos, and sometimes the CPU seems to insist on using a certain move over and over which is easy to punish.

Heh, anyway, cool thread, I usually don't play fighters for score! :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Heh, anyway, cool thread, I usually don't play fighters for score! :)

I always have. Storyline & score were equally important. Since I got on the high score table of the only '97 I found in HK back in Dec. 2002 with 435xxx, 5th place of course, level-8 indeed, I really got into the score aspect of this game much more seriously. Back then I was pretty surprised that I could rank up there with those Chinese maniacs. I doubt I will ever surpass the greatest score I ever saw -1st place was 636000- but it certainly does give me something to aim for! (do the math..)

Come to think of it though I agree with you about 2002. I was a bit out of practice & had not spent much time looking for cheap tricks before I was already scoring lots of straight victories in the arcade. Didn't even take me too long to do 400,000+ in that game. I just know '97 so much better than most other KOF's that I know so many more cheaps against the computer I suppose. I never played that much 2001 but.... damn, it was easy. Don't think I ever made it to a KOF boss with so little work before.

Well keep on scoring big lads! I will join you after Friday's examination.

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
Champion de kof je sais pas mais bigleux surement, j ai pas fait gaffe et j ai cru que c etait un score du 98 , perdu plus d une heure pour rien :idiot:

sinon au 98 j ai fait 384600, j aurais pu faire mieux mais j ai perdu des perfects betement !!

bon ce soir je joue au bon jeux et je posterai demain , encore !!! :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
j ai honte de le dire mais j ai du mal au 97, pas a le finir, mais a faire des straight voir des perfects, j ai pas encore trouver le bonhomme efficace, j arrive bien avec robert ou yamazaki, mais chaque fois je me fais avoir mon straight, j arrive meme pas a faire 300000 en score ! il me faudrais un bonhomme efficace comme takuma ou athena dans le 98 ! :(

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Stephane said:
j ai honte de le dire mais j ai du mal au 97, pas a le finir, mais a faire des straight voir des perfects, j ai pas encore trouver le bonhomme efficace, j arrive bien avec robert ou yamazaki, mais chaque fois je me fais avoir mon straight, j arrive meme pas a faire 300000 en score ! il me faudrais un bonhomme efficace comme takuma ou athena dans le 98 ! :(

En fait ce n'est pas aussi difficile que ca. Robert est tres puissant dans 97 et Yamazaki lui il a un infinite (du sort). Benimaru joue comme un dieu. en plus il est tres facile d'apprendre a le jouer. athena en 97 est assez puissante aussi. elle est une autre qui peut terminer le match avec qu'un C punch (infinite). Joe est pas mal puissant mais il te faudra un peu de temps pour t'accoutumer. Terry est un monstre. son power charge est tres tres facile d'abuser. et ca continue ainsi. '97 est plein de bonhommes trop puissants. Dis-moi avec qui tu joues d'habitude et je peux bien te suggerer quelques strategies ou combos peut-etre.

mon equipe #1 c'est celui de Terry, Benimaru et Iori. ces trois peuvent bien detruire plus ou moins tout. avec Terry le power charge + B agit comme tige de presque tout ces combinaisons. Benimaru comme j'ai mentionne est un dieu. il peut mettre en combinaison n'importe quelle movement et en general a beaucoup de priorite. en plus il et vite. le shinkuukatategoma et son raijinken volant sont a mettre en tete. extremement efficace dans 97. un handou sandan geri + D est excellent pour les faire dizzy. beaucoup de joueurs et specialement l'ordinateur tombe dans deux pieges en particulieres: apres de faire tomber ton ennemie fais un petit saut directement en haut et saisis-le avec un Benimaru Koreda quand a terre. l'autre c'est de faire un grand saut de l'autre cote de l'ecran et de les saisir avec un Electrigger en atterissant. 95% des fois ca marche. faites attention contre quelques-uns comme Mai, Goro, Shermie.

Benimaru, Clark et Iori comprennent beaucoup beaucoup d'equipes #1 des joueurs de ce jeux. les cinq bonhommes orochi sont pas mal efficace pourtant cet Iori, le bonhomme le plus puissant du jeux, bouge un peu trop vite pour moi. :emb:

bon la j'ai un examen demain et il faut que j'etudie un peu mais je retourne ce soir/demain pour en parler plus.

Fran: go play E's.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
NGCD version, one credit, lvl. 8, Kensou - Ralf - Ryo. Guess I have to do more straight wins.

I meant to say. If you want that many more straights with Ralf use the Galactica Phantom trick which many people seem not to know about: Catch them with an Umanori Vulcan Punch (qcb,hcf+kick) and as you are coming out of it start the motion for the G.Phantom so you go into it as soon as you come out of the UVPunch. They can't escape. >:D Well, you can be super grabbed out of it, but generally speaking there is very little escape, and it's even more rare for the computer to try countering it.

It's pretty funny in round three against that proverbial punching bag Chang: Jumping D, standing C, Gattling Attack + C = dizzy = Umanori Vulcan Punch = Galactica Phantom = perfect & completing your straight. Too bad the short characters need another hit or two before they dizzy :annoyed:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
I meant to say. If you want that many more straights with Ralf use the Galactica Phantom trick which many people seem not to know about: Catch them with an Umanori Vulcan Punch (qcb,hcf+kick) and as you are coming out of it start the motion for the G.Phantom so you go into it as soon as you come out of the UVPunch. They can't escape. >:D Well, you can be super grabbed out of it, but generally speaking there is very little escape, and it's even more rare for the computer to try countering it.

It's pretty funny in round three against that proverbial punching bag Chang: Jumping D, standing C, Gattling Attack + C = dizzy = Umanori Vulcan Punch = Galactica Phantom = perfect & completing your straight. Too bad the short characters need another hit or two before they dizzy :annoyed:

Yeah, the Ralf combo + GP is great, and it looks devastating. The GP really is one of the coolest moves of the entire series...

At the moment, my fave man for straights is Kensou, it's hilarious how one CPU opponent after another runs into yet another qcb+P Super Ball Bullet, followed by a hcf+A Earth Dragon and the occasional reverse-dp+K. Super-jump back, repeat (with minor variations), pure cheese! :)

I'm into the 400ks now, will practise some more...

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
We all know Iori and benimaru are both Gods of '97. I can't quite find another character to dominate with. Chizuru is coming along nicely with my skills, however I can't quite seem to get her up to the higher levels without getting stomped.

One more thing: what is it when Chizu does a super and leaves the opponent blinking blue? I haven't quite figured out if it affects gameplay or not.

Thus far: around 235K top score level 8, however I'll get better.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Yeah, the Ralf combo + GP is great, and it looks devastating. The GP really is one of the coolest moves of the entire series...

At the moment, my fave man for straights is Kensou, it's hilarious how one CPU opponent after another runs into yet another qcb+P Super Ball Bullet, followed by a hcf+A Earth Dragon and the occasional reverse-dp+K. Super-jump back, repeat (with minor variations), pure cheese! :)

I'm into the 400ks now, will practise some more...

Works great in the corner too, where you hit them with a Ralf kick from across the screen, juggle into the one DM, crush them with the second.

I never really got into Kensou but do want to. I always reckoned he was one of the most powerful players in '97. Even one of the very few with a full-screen fireball. Nice pattern there, might try it out. Usually though I stick to cheesing with Terry. There's too much he can do. The right timing will have EVERY cpu opponent getting up into his fireballs. But you see, after one or two knocks them towards the corner (usually preceeded by a small jumping CD), you can corner trap with a power wave/rising tackle combo which if you are not too keen will bring you loads of perfect victories.
C Burn Knuckles from a full screen away also yield endless perfects against Chizuru & Benimaru.
Crouching B kicks cause many otherwise powerful fools such as Terry & Kyo to jump in and Rising Tackled, fireball them as they are getting up, repeat..
Of course one standing C is enough to end the match if you know what to do with him ;)

Quote:
One more thing: what is it when Chizu does a super and leaves the opponent blinking blue? I haven't quite figured out if it affects gameplay or not.

That disables special & super moves until they stop flashing.

I am about ready to return Andy & Joe to my fold. Still having lots of problems with Orochi Chris though. Juggling the Orochinagi after the shishi o kamu honoo (6-hit juggle) mainly.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hit around 260K last night.

Started noticing several patterns. With terry, power wave; then opponent will block and a+b roll towards you; then follow up with a burn knuckle. Repeat until KO (mainly leona and chizu fall for this one). terry is a bad bad man.

I'm starting to get the timing of the unblockable fireballs when getting up that was mentioned earlier.

The AI in '97 is a refreshing change of pace I must admit, not stupid like the '00 and on kofs.

Disjointed thoughts make a congeled whole.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, the 97 engine doesn't give up that fast, tho it's weird to see it kinda stop working for a sec or two, that happens a lot if I play very aggressively and throw out strings and 2-in-1s left and right even if the opp. is blocking, the engine then obviously tries to switch to escape-and-counter mode but often fails.

For ex., after doing a 4 hit combo with Ryo against Clark (that connected), I followed it up with a string (that didn't connect) and overall kept high pressure, then he pulled off a Napalm Stretch that I answered with a Ko'ou Ken, but instead of trying a different attack, he continued to Napalm-Stretch himself into even more Ko'ou Kens until the round was over.

Anyway... fell back to about 350k again, the constant switching between RBFF, KoF2k2 and KoF97 that I do at the mo wears me out... :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Started noticing several patterns. With terry, power wave; then opponent will block and a+b roll towards you; then follow up with a burn knuckle. Repeat until KO (mainly leona and chizu fall for this one). terry is a bad bad man.

Or provided they are close enough following their roll you could do a crouching C, df+C uppercut, Power Charge + B and lots of things from there. Incidentally the power wave/burn knuckle pattern will destroy Chizuru in '96.

Another rolling trap comes from cornering your opponent and doing a weak Power Wave to them followed up by a crouching D, both of which will be blocked. They then roll toward you, to throw them back into the corner and so on. Except if they do a guard cancel roll, then you are in trouble.

Takumaji said:
Anyway... fell back to about 350k again, the constant switching between RBFF, KoF2k2 and KoF97 that I do at the mo wears me out... :)

I suck. Yesterday I was at 350,000 even after the first 6 matches. And I absolutely fell apart after that. Haven't gone beyond 42xk recently.

'97 somewhat rewards you for being very aggressive. The more I do it instead of slower & safer strategic playing which gets me lots of perfects (come to think of it, the way I used to play) the computer seems to allow you more hits.

Speaking of Ryo reminds me of this thread. I can empty cancel yes, but generally not that quickly. Only for the most part on slow moves like Kyo's Kai. The day I hit 4 consecutive power charges was one of triumph for me. :emb:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Just checked the other thread with the Ryo cancel/combo, and imo it SHOULD work, even more so if the last hit of the 4-hit juggle is a random critical... I always had troubles getting juggles with Ryo's Tenchi Haohken to work. The DM needs to be pulled off when close and even tho the engine expands this to juggled/in-air opps. that are close, it's actually quite tricky, one fraction of a sec too early or too late and you'll hit thin air with a move that has evil recovery time...

I guess the combo (sA -> close hcf+P -> close qcf x2+P) is somewhat easier against a cornered opp, I'm not sure tho.

Btw., do you have the KoF97 score ranking list with that 600k+ hi score somewhere or do you know where I can find it? I want some inspiration! :)

Man, 600k+! I'm not a bad player, but that's really a KoF97 score to behold... bet the guy that made it to the top rank didn't play anything else for a year or so... I really admire dedication like that.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Just checked the other thread with the Ryo cancel/combo, and imo it SHOULD work, even more so if the last hit of the 4-hit juggle is a random critical... I always had troubles getting juggles with Ryo's Tenchi Haohken to work. The DM needs to be pulled off when close and even tho the engine expands this to juggled/in-air opps. that are close, it's actually quite tricky, one fraction of a sec too early or too late and you'll hit thin air with a move that has evil recovery time...

I guess the combo (sA -> close hcf+P -> close qcf x2+P) is somewhat easier against a cornered opp, I'm not sure tho.

To be honest I never tried it in the corner. I also think it ought to work for the fact that I did it if nothing else. Seeing how often I fail at the infinite power charges.. It makes sense I can't do this again. Which would mean that timing-wise the move should hit a split-second after the earliest possible time.

Takumaji said:
Btw., do you have the KoF97 score ranking list with that 600k+ hi score somewhere or do you know where I can find it? I want some inspiration! :)

Man, 600k+! I'm not a bad player, but that's really a KoF97 score to behold... bet the guy that made it to the top rank didn't play anything else for a year or so... I really admire dedication like that.

I'm telling you. It's unreal! Suppose you win a match all perfect and straight, you would score around 80k~90k, depending on what moves you hit and your time bonus. Say 80,000 x 7 = 560000. The two single matches if done perfect and straight are worth about 45000 each, so 90000. Total 650000, so to do 636000 this guy must have been on crack. BUT! He did also have about the most satanic team possible: Orochi Iori, Terry, Orochi Leona. The things those three are capable of are quite frightening. Iori & Terry can both end the match by connecting only one close-standing hit whereas Leona is Leona.. bad enough on her own.

Sadly this score was on an MVS in Hong Kong. If I had my camera with me I would have loved to have taken a photo. It was in that mall arcade on the corner of Haiphong & Canton Road if anyone from HK is reading this.. If it is still there later this summer I will have my digicam in hand.

I still use '96 terminology for jumps, so to me:
small jump = tap up
super jump = down up down
jump = jump
big jump = down up

What I keep mentioning about these "one hit can end the match" bits are this, if anyone cares:

Orochi Iori: Standing C ->Scumgale, walk up and, standing C ->Scumgale, walk up and... He is fast enough that it's possible.

Terry: Two things.
1)"Infinite Power Charge". Empty cancelling, for anyone else following the thread, is where you "cancel" from a normal into a special move even when you don't touch the opponent with the normal move, which typically is a requirement of being able to cancel. So power charge +B, crouching A/C, and cancel from that into another power charge and repeat. Up to 6 which yields a dizzy.
2)When you hit a B power charge, big jump up and hit them with a D, when you land (right next to them) the computer won't be blocking right away, so you can do whatever you want to cancel into another B power charge, big jump + D... until they dizzy.

Ryo: Much the same as 2) up there but use the Renbuken (6 hit juggle). Be careful not to hold the toward/up-toward direction on the joystick too long though. If you are still holding it around when you land, hit a standing C and try for a Renbuken, often a Haohshoko'ouken will come out instead due to its motion.

Robert: I don't use him anymore, but nominally it should work. In his case though there are other possibilities from a Renbukyaku. Single hits of all sorts, or:
1)Mueshippuu Juudankyaku (qcf x 2+K) (hardly hits, not really worth it)
2)Jump, Hienryuujin Kyaku (qcb + k) + B and juggle with a standing C afterwards
3)Empty cancel from a crouching D into a Ryuuko Ranbu

Andy: Do a Dam Breaker Punch (close hcf + C), big jump and attack, when you land you cross them up so immediately take a step forward, crouching B into another Dam Breaker Punch, etc.

Athena: Super Psychic Throw (assuming that's the correct translation) [close hcf + C] big jump up and attack, and repeat as described above with Andy since you cross them up with this pattern as well.

Orochi Chris: Do I really have to keep typing? close hcf + C, big jump + attack and repeat with the Terry/Ryo method.

Note that actually I didn't use any of these patterns for the 450K above because I programmed myself too strongly to do other things after a power charge. Infinite tricks aren't required for good scores -they merely help :)