SS 0 Special - report

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
- Iggy off the MMCafe boards -

The game is out ! Yippie !
Just a few details I grabbed here and there :
Mizuki is amongst the weakest characters of the game. But hey, the true fans of the series died to use her since SSS so we will use her however.
Suija sama is as strong as ever. The computer can use him and Enja, and he is a true bitch with Enja (he's harder than the bosses : he uses his 3 hit move up to the rokudo without ever missing).
Gedotan is not too much weaken. some of his moves are a bit slower (the spirits, the tongue, the normal C) but the rest is intact, his grab is as awesome as ever, and his flash kick is useful. Mina is still his natural predator, but some of the moves she got toned down affect Gedo a lot (for examble, her down B is a little bit slower, it's possible to roll through it).
Suija sama is awesome.
There are some new voices, for the zetsumei ôgi, but it's interesting to note that the voices were in SS0's rom, but not accessible (if you look into the rom, you could hear some voices that were not used in the game, like those of the 6 girlfriends of Yoshitora for example). Mizuki's voice is all new, I don't know for Amakusa or Zankurô.
The backgrounds are great and numerous, but no one bothered to do a complete list of them. The bosses all have their background, some remixed (Mizuki's is great).
Suijasama's zetsumei ougi is gorgeous. He takes the guy, says "cry for your life", then does ... things, "on second thought... die", then he throws the guy in the air, takes his god-like pose, and there is a blood shower on him.

OH ! and it seems that you can kill people like in the older games, with the body cut in two and the winner covered with blood. AND, but I'm not sure of that, but Rimururu can't do that (none of her moves will really "kill" the guy, even her zetsumei) BUT she may be killable

cant wait to see the game in action and find out if they added at least a couple new animations / moves for the older characters

promising report,though

beelze,please fill us in once you've tried the game in monte :)

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
FATALITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :multi_co:
Never thought I'd be so happy about something that should have never been removed. heh.
My complaint before they were removed completely was that in 1 player mode,the CPU did'nt perform them after defeating the human opponent as it did in the 1st installment.
-BB

bishounen

Marked Wolf
I'm glad they added the fatalities, now everybody can finally stop bitching about it. I've had ppl tell me ssv completely sucks because of the absense of fatalities. :rolleyes:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
bishounen said:
I'm glad they added the fatalities, now everybody can finally stop bitching about it. I've had ppl tell me ssv completely sucks because of the absense of fatalities. :rolleyes:

NO FATALITIES?!!?!11! SSV SUXORZ@!@!!

I thought that was pretty gay, myself. I like SSV just fine. Good, fatalities are back. What about the English Story Mode???

Spike

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
NO FATALITIES?!!?!11! SSV SUXORZ@!@!!

I thought that was pretty gay, myself. I like SSV just fine. Good, fatalities are back. What about the English Story Mode???

Spike

I suppose we won't know that for a while, since this is a Japanese report I assume.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
All this is good to hear, I cant wait to get it.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Arrrrrgh!!! FATALITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want this game now :buttrock: :buttrock: Hopefully the price will drop by summer and this game will be mine :smirk:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i played it the other day.. it is really tight and the new bgs look great. im gonna play again today.. not really sure what to comment on though.. maybe just the differences in the character balancing?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
That's good news about the fatalities - not having them isn't the end of the world but I'm glad they're back.

And about the English story mode .... I'd say the chances are probably somewhere between no fuckin' way and hell no.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Wow! :eek: WE actually have some positive feedback here! Where the hell is all the miss-guided hate folks? :tickled:

But really, I can't wait to get this in my Neo! What a great swan-Song for the greatest system ever!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
* rimururu is powerful and CAN fatality.

* basara's fb is not as effective (the speed and arc has changed slightly) but he can do his air chain attack (fb in the air) and not fear getting run in on and HSed :) so hes more fun

* mizuki's bg is excellent...

* colours of the characters seem to have been changed since the loke test about 2 weeks ago..

* jumping over doesnt leave you super prone anymore which is excellent.. you recover quick enough to LS scramble.

* much easier to pick up and play ss3 or ss4 fav characters and win. this is due to the balancing.

I am so psyched now. Its not like fatalities are required, but its more so that they re-continued the tradition of having them like they should have in the first place.

Also my friend and I were looking at the SS0S website browsing the artwork and sprites and we both admired the detail of the characters themselves. So leads the question:

1.) Is the sprite artwork more or less detailed/accurate than previous SS games?

2.) Also, do you suppose living in the 21st century somewhat influence the sprite artist's techniques for the character's outfits?

3.) Has the BGM changed much (if you can tell that is)? For those who know, whether from SSV or SSOS, what do you think the ratio of ambiance vs music is there of the BGM?

4.) Any changes on how they did the zoom?

5.) About the fatalities; Could someone please describe a few? I know in previous editions, there is slashing in half and also arterial spray... same in SS0S?

Thanks all :)

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Iggy at MMCafe posted this:

*being cut in two (by normal sword slashes, like before)
*falling, cut in two (Charolette's zetsumei)
*falling, spitting blood
*falling while covering the opponent with blood
*being cut in 4 horizontaly (Jubei's zetsumei)
*skeleton (Gedo/Tamtam zetsumei)
*destruction of the upper half of the body (Mina/Kyoshiro zetsumei)
*destruction of the head (mizuki zetsumei)
*only the legs and the head left (Zankuro zetsumei)
*exploding against the wall (Gaira throw, Enja B)
*being slashed in mid air, blood in the air, then blood on the ground
*the body full of holes, then destroyed (Amakusa zetsumei)
*the body torn appart, the upper half falling left and the other right (Gao Zetsumei)
*only the head left on the ground, rolling (Basara zetsumei)
*complete destruction (Enja, Gaira zetsumei)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The one thing that really bugged me about 5 was the balance issue. Certain characters just seemed way to powerful like yoshitora,mina, and that demon guy (can't remember his freaking name). It seemed when me and my buds would play those three would always get massive winning streaks. Hopefully this will be gone and we go back to beating up amukasa because of how ridiculous he looks. :D

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I take it that there is no Sankuro(TEAM Sankuro) in the game???
DAMNIT! Oh the possibilities could have been endless being able to use him.
His fatal move could be the CRUSH SPLATTER. He could hit the opponent so hard that he'd flatten them while blood squirted everywhere :D A move where he pistol whipped his opponent would be cool... but it looks like he's not present :crying:
The reviews still read very promising.
-BB

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Looking to check out Samurai Spirits Special I wandered into Esaka, Osaka yesterday-home of what was Neo Geo Land 3. In NG3's place is a very nice and smooth....parking lot. Also, across the street where the SNKP Neo Geo R & D building stands, the minor Neo Geo Land that shortly inhabited the ground floor is now gone too. In it's place, pachinko display rubbish. A sad, sobering day, like getting coal in yer stocking.

Then, I visited a nearby arcade that did have SS0S & KOF NeoWave (bland, re-animated KOF corpse, & that's all). SS0S is an all around excellent game that greatly improves upon it's somewhat lacking predecesor. Sam Spirits 0 had it's issues. For me, it looked washed out & colors just seemed poorly chosen. However, SS0S is mad good, colors are purty too. Moreover, the character portraits and voice overs are really dark and dramatic-good stuff.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
KRONOS said:
Looking to check out Samurai Spirits Special I wandered into Esaka, Osaka yesterday-home of what was Neo Geo Land 3. In NG3's place is a very nice and smooth....parking lot. Also, across the street where the SNKP Neo Geo R & D building stands, the minor Neo Geo Land that shortly inhabited the ground floor is now gone too. In it's place, pachinko display rubbish. A sad, sobering day, like getting coal in yer stocking.

Then, I visited a nearby arcade that did have SS0S & KOF NeoWave (bland, re-animated KOF corpse, & that's all). SS0S is an all around excellent game that greatly improves upon it's somewhat lacking predecesor. Sam Spirits 0 had it's issues. For me, it looked washed out & colors just seemed poorly chosen. However, SS0S is mad good, colors are purty too. Moreover, the character portraits and voice overs are really dark and dramatic-good stuff.

These are sad times for the Neo faithful :oh_no: :oh_no: :oh_no:.

Like I don't have enough shit to be depressed about ... wtf?

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
what about the backgrounds?

Maybe one of you in Japan knows the answer to this question. Does every character still have their own background like they did in SS0? Now that they have enough unique (non-palette swap) backgrounds for everyone again, it would be sad if they don't.

Thanks,

Matsukaze

Last edited:

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
How are the backgrounds? I know there are a few new backgrounds but are the rest of the backgrounds the same ones found in Samurai Shodown 5? SS5 just didn't seem new enough because most of the backgrounds were from SS3 and 4. It's always refreshing to see new backgrounds in sequels. Any new music? New intro?