Neo Geo Super Gun?

Mike

Bead Banger
Does anyone here have a Supergun? If so what type? (HGA, MAS)How do you feel about it? Does it work properly? Any problems?

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Hi again Mike, I have a MAS Supergun with 2 1 slots and a 4 slot. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine, and am fairly happy with the video signal. One thing, if you buy one do so only to use the S-video as the composite video is pretty sub-standard. Besides that, I get a mediocre to good S-video signal and really good stereo sound. The jamma harness is too short, but an extension can easily be purchased.

The sticks that come with it are fairly solid, though I prefer home controllers run through the MVS PCB. Lemme know if I can answer some questions.

Lee (garg7) http://www.neogeotemple.com

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hey Lee, just wondered what you mean about the s-video output of the supergun being "mediocre to good"? I've been considering getting a supergun for a long time, already have a nice little batch of MVS games, but haven't quite taken the step yet . . . I pretty much know that sooner or later I'll buy a complete good condition 4-slot dedicated cabinet, but the supergun would be a nice option . . . to play my MVS carts on my 27" TV.

Oh, and also, is your one slot MVS board the older kind with joystick ports on it? I understand that the new 1-slot boards (minis?) don't have any joystick ports . . only the older 1, 2, 4, and 6 slots.

And I almost forgot, isn't the 4-slot MVS board a MONSTER in size? It looks pretty huge in all the pics . . .

Mike

Bead Banger
Does anyone have any information on the HGA supergun produced by www.gwtrading.com?

I am about to order and would like to know how it works for you.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Sorry I don't have info, but I wondered why you are ordering a HGA system rather than a MAS SuperNova? Aren't they the same price?

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Heya Chimpmesiter, I said the Nova was mediocre to good because it doesn't live up to the excellent S-video that comes out of a modded Neo home console. The home console seems to have better quality video hardware, and the S-video mod really shows it. The S-video on a super gun is still better than the regular composite from a cart system IMO, but doesn't match a modded cart system.

Yes, I have a 1 slot and 4 slot with the old joystick ports and they work flawlessly - really cool as I can play with home or Nova sticks depending on what I want, though I prefer home. The 4 slot is big, but not too big. It's about double the size of an old 1 slot, but it's much thinner because the circuit boards are stacked, though the carts stick up when inserted. The 4 slot is cool to leave running too because it cycles through all the game openings, and the 'select' button on the controller allows you to advance each slot if need be.

Lee (garg7) http://www.neogeotemple.com

Mike

Bead Banger
I didn't know that they are the same price, but aren't they the same thing?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, they serve the same purpose (jamma connection to a TV set with video and audio outputs), but they aren't the same thing. GW Trading's unit is much more recent on the market, and I remember hearing that the first generation of their unit was pretty crappy. I'm not sure which one is better, but I know that the MAS SuperNova has been around a HELL of a lot longer . . . so I kind of wonder about the GW Trading unit's quality, reliability, etc.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Ok, Mike, I'm heading over there right now . . . if the HGA has improved, I'll definitely consider it instead of the MAS SuperNova. Haven't gotten either yet, and I already have about 35 MVS carts so I better get moving soon . . . thanks.
smile.gif

Mike

Bead Banger
It's pretty sweet huh? I like the internal cooling fan it has. 2 oversized controllers and it's all brand new.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Yes, Mike, it does look pretty awesome. Have you heard from anyone who bought one? I'd love to have some feedback about it . . . it helps to find out if there are any problems. I do like the idea of "feature connectors", and I like the fact that it will work with a Neo MVS board with no changes . . . whereas the MAS system needs rewiring for the 4th joystick button, I think.

C

charles

Just a question, if I may. Why do most people buy Super Guns? Is it a space thing? That's the only reason I can figure, and maybe the (semi)portability.

Because for the same price as a Nova and 2 or 4 slot board you can buy a stand-alone 2 slot cabinet.

Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by charles (edited August 26, 2000).]

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I think there are a lot of reasons, including:

• Portability (you can lug it around to a friend's house, tho the Supergun ain't tiny)
  • Space (a full cab weighs like 400 lbs. and takes up a bit of space, hard to move around too)
  • Ability to play many jamma compatible games easily, just hook them up to the SuperGun (well, maybe with minor mods for different joystick arrangements)
  • Ability to send your signal to a 27" or larger TV set, through s-video (yes, I know s-video isn't as good as RGB, but it isn't terrible either)

Those might be a few reasons. Personally, I'm looking to get a 4-slot cabinet in good shape, eventually. But I'm also considering a SuperGun or HGA system (Mike has me looking at the HGA now, anyone tried it out yet?).

What can I say, I'm a Neo nut to the extreme!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif