Metal Slug Mobile

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Old news but here's some info for those in need of it

DBI speak:
"The Metal Slug series of 2D platform and shooting arcade games from SNK are widely accepted among gamers to be amongst the best 2D arcade games ever made. The Metal Slug Mobile experience is a unique and humorous combination of frantic shooting, jumping and driving that constantly surprises and delights. This classic arcade title was also hugely successful on the Neo Geo Pocket and Metal Slug Mobile is based on this version of the classic title.

The side-scrolling shoot-em-up features multiple action-packed missions set in different locations including the jungle, docklands and a war torn town.

Fight against a variety of re-spawning enemy snipers and soldiers. Watch out when the enemies bring on the heavy artillery such as helicopters, bazookas or machetes. Playing as hero Marco, you also have different weapons and machinery at your disposal including a pistol, machine gun, tank and plane. Throughout the missions you can collect various health and power-ups including gas can, medical kit and even lollipops..."

Running:
MetalSlug_155x176_8_bit_animation_1.gif

Screenshots:
MetalSlug_115x138_8_bit_screen_1.gif

MetalSlug_115x136_8_bit_screen_2.gif

MetalSlug_115x136_8_bit_screen_3.gif

MetalSlug_115x137_8_bit_screen_1.gif

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
As far as portable telephone games go, that doesn't look half bad. :)

Thing is, I'm from the school of thought that says a Metal Slug game should only be played on a machine that provides the minimal necessary amount of animations, characters, and explosions which defines the very essence of a Metal Slug game. Furthermore, any good Metal Slug needs to be properly displayed on a decently-sized screen. :shame:

However, not everyone can enjoy these luxuries, and for those limited to only the portable Metal Slug: 1st Mission, Metal Slug: 2nd Mission, or Metal Slug Mobile, it's definitely better than nothing at all. :buttrock:

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Review of Metal Slug Mobile

Story

Raw Recruit Marco Rossi, your orders are to destroy the rebel army's command and control capacity and free the prisoners,

Controls

Marco
4 Move left
6 Move right
2 Jump
8 Crouch
5 Fire Weapon
1 Fire up

Metal Slug
4 Move left
6 Move right
2 Jump
8 Crouch
5 Fire Vulcan
1 Fire Cannon (needs ammo)

# will pause your game
* toggles sound effects on and off

Overall the controls are pretty clunky. Hard to dodge gunfire and tough to get to the right level to fire back at enemies, the best bet is usually to take the hits and just stab your foes.
Characters:

Characters

Marco Rossi

The only character for you to play as in this iteration of Metal Slug.

Weapons

Knife: Your close range killer one stab for the grunts and its all over.

H: I assume Handgun as it is not the Heavy Machine Gun that its big brother has, it fires a single shot in the 4 directions per button press.

M: Machine Gun can fired continuously by holding down 5 is the only upgrade for Marco during the game

C: Cannon for the Metal Slug only, nothing much to be said here.

Sound

While there is some great sounding typical Metal Slug Mission 1 music, its unfortunate that this only plays during the title screen as far as I can tell.

Sound effects seem ok there is a gunshot noise, a knife noise, and a dying grunt noise is all I could distinguish. Why you ask? Because for some reason while the music is nice and loud, the sound effects are immensely quiet, and are mostly drowned out by the beeping of the button presses.

Items

Aside from weapons you can find a few other items to help you out.

Collect a frog for 300 points or a toilet paper roll for 400 points

Kill enemies to get loafs of bread, health kits, or gas containers to restore your health.

Grab Shields to get a rank promotion or a Coin to add a continue.

Enemies

A variety of grunts are in this game most will be familiar especially if you've played the NGPC variants of Metal Slug. Handgun grunts, Bazooka grunts, sword grunts that hang down out of the trees.

Then you have enemy vehicles

One form of a tank and one form of a helicopter is all you'll run into in this one.

Vehicles

On the note of vehicles, the only slug that Marco will get to pilot in this short mission is the Metal Slug, the classic tank can still jump, duck, and rotate its machine gun with all the same clunkyness that the controls give to Marco

Hostages

Along the way you will have to rescue hostages, I'm assuming there are no hidden hostages and the most I have gotten per stage is 5, they actually don't even give you anything.

Gameplay

Mostly akin to the NGPC slugs in style and gameplay this Slug has Missions taking place outside, in the jungle, and two in the Metal Slug. The weirdest thing about this slug is, no bosses. Not even one, this isn't like the NGPC slug that has a few bosses and some levels you just run through. There are zero bosses. The toughest it will get are spots where the screen will stop scrolling and you will have a few baddies or a couple helicopters to destroy before moving on.

The life system is managed also like the NGPC slugs thankfully, due to the controls, you will get hit a lot, you will also get lots of bread to keep you alive. After each mission you gain life (I'm not sure quite yet if this is directly related to how many shields you have picked up i.e. your rank)

Fortunately just as you will noticed that at the peak of your jump if you want to keep moving right you will stop and have to repress right to keep movie, the bad guys seem to have the same dilemma. Grunts will just stop and fall midair not completing any sort of normal arch, at one point one of the 'stop points' every grunt that hops out does this, making this stop point stupid easy to get through.

I think I'm done, let me know if you have any questions. On the whole as a game its suckalicious, but as a cell phone game is pretty good. Worth 6 bucks? Up to you, it helps that my mom usually just pays the cell phone bill for me ;)

Overall for me a 7/10 considering its a cell phone game, controls could've been better but they also couldn't have been much better.

This review is dedicated to Nick.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Above is my review I wrote from another thread, but I now that I see the Slug Jet in those screenshots, I'm wondering how you get to it...gonna play through again.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Thats fuggn sweet. I need to see if Verizon carry's it on there service. Thanx for the post, i'm all excited now....finally a game worth playin on my phone. :eek:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sundance said:
Thats fuggn sweet. I need to see if Verizon carry's it on there service. Thanx for the post, i'm all excited now....finally a game worth playin on my phone. :eek:

Just confirming that yes Verizon's Get it Now has it :) Also has the King of Fighters too.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
kanakura said:
Where can i buy or download it? :rolleyes:

The fuck is the roll eyes guy for? Anyway what kind of phone or service do you have.