SNK Ships Final Neo Geo AES Game In July

Reality Check

World Hero
Most of you probably know about this but I'll post it anyway

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1570242,00.asp

SNK Playmore today issued a pre-order solicitation for the very last Neo Geo home cartridge game. Samurai Spirits Zero Special, an upgraded and rebalanced version of the game available in North American arcades as Samurai Shodown V, will see release in Japan on July 15 for the typically exorbitant price of 41,790 yen ($385).

That will be the last bit of software support for the longest-lived console in videogame history. SNK, in some form or another, has supplied the Neo Geo AES home system with absurdly expensive games since its debut in 1990, although the flow of software has of course slowed to a trickle in recent years. Now, however, its upcoming arcade titles are all in development for Sammy's Dreamcast-based Atomiswave hardware.

Zero Special makes many small tweaks to the original edition's gameplay and adds several playable boss characters from throughout the series' history. Neo Geo die-hards looking to pick up a copy are advised to pre-order quickly, since the print run is likely to be short indeed

Curt

apostate
Sounds like the most solid confirmation I've heard, I can't wait till Shawn Starts taking pre-orders. I like the part " the typically exorbitant price of 41,790 yen ($385)"

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Only one more Neo release.:crying: It has been almost fifteen years since the Neo was released...not a bad run. :buttrock:

:buttrock: Neo Geo forever :buttrock:

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
So, Samurai Spirits Zero Special really is the last NGH AES title, eh? Well, it was fun while it lasted... Adios, Neo·Geo. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Unfortunately, this probably won't bode well for the remaining NGH AES Samurai Spirits Zero / Samurai Shodown V stock.

I want to say that I am totally thrilled by this news, thanks to SNKP and Shawn presumably since who else would have a hand in this right?

Neo Geo die-hards looking to pick up a copy are advised to pre-order quickly, since the print run is likely to be short indeed

I love this comment too... and how true it could be. Teh hype of the 3rd party.

Now forgive if this has been answered already but will we see english and JP releases or just JP?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
^^^Eventually Shawn will let us know about the posibility of a US release...
Most likely IMO, since it is the last one.

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
no word still on a US release? that sucks. ah well, I'll be going MVS soon anyhow..

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
SuperMegaUltra said:
Unfortunately, this probably won't bode well for the remaining NGH AES Samurai Spirits Zero / Samurai Shodown V stock.

Just ship the extra SSV stock back to japan and have them rechiped to SSV special like in the old days, Probably just a few chips needing to be replaced anyway. Kinda like Kizuna is just a official Savage Reign Conversion :)

However I hope there is a better poster policy or at least follows his word, else I will just preorder from NCS this time around.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
son_of_bael said:
no word still on a US release? that sucks. ah well, I'll be going MVS soon anyhow..

Hasn't even been announced at the neostore yet...calm the fuck down.

:rolleyes:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
*sigh*
so this is the end of new things from the hardware that's become like an old friend...

while it may be sad not to have anything to look forward to in the future, I feel more than lucky that there is just so much the NEO has done game-wise that we can continue to revisit for as often as we'd like...

and for that I will always be grateful...
:buttrock:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
In any case, I think it's kinda appropriate that the last AES games is a Samurai Spirits game. No matter if I'm a fan of the series or not.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
the last official neo geo release was Sengoku 2001.

Everything afterwards was a homebrew.

EvilWasabi said:

OUCH! And to top that off, Sengoku 2001 wasn't a SNK programmed game either.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
And to top that off - it sucked. Double OUCH!

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I am glad that I held off getting Samurai Shodown 5. I would have felt kind of cheated if I had bought Samurai Shodown 5 seeing that Samurai Shodown 5 Special is only a slightly better game. I doubt it will have an English story mode but I think that it will be worth picking up since it is the last Neo Geo AES game ever to come out. It makes me kind of sad really. I never got my Eightman 2 or my Mutation Nation 2. I hope that I will have enough money to get this game after I drop some serious bones to get a Ninja Master's. :drool:

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
EvilWasabi said:
The last official Neo·Geo release was Sengoku 2001.

"Corporate Homebrew," eh? A very controversial statement, to be sure, but what else would you expect from the illustrious "King of Spammers"? :idiot:

Heh. ;)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
From what I understand, SSV owners really have no reason to buy special. Aside form a couple of extra characters, what does special really offer?

Hellsing

B. Jenet's Firstmate
After so many years of fun I hate seeing it all end.
R.I.P. little Neo-Geo the greatest in home entertainment ever.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I'm not sure why everyone's so happy about this.

There shouldn't have to have been a SS0S release in the first place.

They should have taken their time with SS0, and released it with the SS0S bosses and balance, instead of sending it out as a rush job.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:

to be honest,
the last official neo geo release was kof 99

kof 2000 = gray zone

sengoku legends 2001 onwards = shame

2003 is alright to be honest,the snk feel is nowhere to be found though

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
I'm not sure why everyone's so happy about this.

There shouldn't have to have been a SS0S release in the first place.

They should have taken their time with SS0, and released it with the SS0S bosses and balance, instead of sending it out as a rush job.

not a match . struggle !

they released disgusting,horrid,broken games like slug 4 and chaos

ss0 is a masterpiece compared to those 2 and other "gems" like rotd...

playmore = no shame

kc

Belnar Institute Student
Fran said:
to be honest,
the last official neo geo release was kof 99

kof 2000 = gray zone

sengoku legends 2001 onwards = shame

2003 is alright to be honest,the snk feel is nowhere to be found though

To be honest I loved KOF2000,
:mr_t: