Problem with a memory card...

TerryB800

War Room Troll
I just got a brand new Neo Geo memory card off of ebay. The seller claimed it was "Brand New, never used". Indeed, it would appear that it's brand new. Anyway... I attempted to use it, and it refused to retain any data. I tried saving my progress in Magician Lord and nothing happened. Sooo, it appears the card isn't working at all. Any suggestions or advice?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
TerryB800 said:
I just got a brand new Neo Geo memory card off of ebay. The seller claimed it was "Brand New, never used". Indeed, it would appear that it's brand new. Anyway... I attempted to use it, and it refused to retain any data. I tried saving my progress in Magician Lord and nothing happened. Sooo, it appears the card isn't working at all. Any suggestions or advice?

The battery might be dead. Or, you might want to try formatting the card and see if that works.

PESTILENT

Armored Scrum Object
300wins said:
The battery might be dead. Or, you might want to try formatting the card and see if that works.

I'd bet it is new and it needs formatted.

TerryB800

War Room Troll
Ok, I tried formatting it, but the system won't recognize the card. So I guess it's safe to assume that the battery is dead. Dammit. And I don't know who's going to replace it, as I have no idea how to solder things, as required in hardMVS's memory card battery replacement guide.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If the system isn't recognizing it, then maybe the reader doesn't work...

DO other cards work in the system?

Sometimes you have to bend the pins on the reader back so the card will work....

TerryB800

War Room Troll
Well, I went ahead and replaced the battery using the instructions from hardMVS. It worked, w00t. And the best part was... no soldering required! Good thing, too, as I have no idea how to solder. Anyway, thanks for the replies people.