Urgent Supergun RCA wiring help needed.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
Hey Guys,

I was wondering of someone could post a pic of how they wired their SUPERGUN sound through the RCA jacks.

I am going with the standard MONO that the harness provides, but I would love to see a picture of how someone's looks with an RCA jack. Thank you

-ToeJam

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well first you need an attenuation circuit.

speaker_to_line.gif

When wireing RCA jacks, remember that the signal goes to the inside and the ground goes to the outside.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
So on thye wire going from JAMMA harness to + on RCA jack I need a 10K resistor on it?

Also on the - on speaker I need a 1K resistor?

edit:-

Or would I have to have each resistor connected to each other as well as to the wires going to the harness? That's what I am confused of in the picture. Wouldn't it short out if they were all connected to each other like that?

I'm a noob so I'm just speaking out my arse.

:help:

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ToeJam said:
So on thye wire going from JAMMA harness to + on RCA jack I need a 10K resistor on it?

Also on the - on speaker I need a 1K resistor?

edit:-

Or would I have to have each resistor connected to each other as well as to the wires going to the harness? That's what I am confused of in the picture. Wouldn't it short out if they were all connected to each other like that?

I'm a noob so I'm just speaking out my arse.

:help:

The 1k ohm resistor would be connected between the positive and ground connections just like the diagram shows.

Also, instead of connecting the - (ground) to the actual Jamma - audio pin on the Jamma harness, I would suggest using one of the regular ground connections on the harness. Otherwise you might have problems with wavy video.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
ok so let me see if I got this clear then.

Line out (+ on JAMMA) will run to connect to the junction of the 10K and 1K Resistors and the Line GND will connect to a regular ground wire (pin 28) on the harness that will also connect to the GND on the RCA jack at the 1K resistor side?

If the answer is yes I am solid on the topic then. :glee:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ToeJam said:
ok so let me see if I got this clear then.

Line out (+ on JAMMA) will run to connect to the junction of the 10K and 1K Resistors and the Line GND will connect to a regular ground wire (pin 28) on the harness that will also connect to the GND on the RCA jack at the 1K resistor side?

If the answer is yes I am solid on the topic then. :glee:

Yup...keep in mind this circuit is only really suited for Neo hardware and might not be a good idea for use on other Jamma PCBs.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
ah ha! I'm glad you said that.

I do plan on hooking other JAMMA games to said device. Should I just not worry about this feature then? Orrrrrrrr was I am thinking of doing is hooknig such circuit to a Molex that'll disconnect for other Jamma PCBs.

For other PCB's should I just connect the + and - to appropriate spots on RCA jack?

Tell me some thoughts.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ToeJam said:
ah ha! I'm glad you said that.

I do plan on hooking other JAMMA games to said device. Should I just not worry about this feature then? Orrrrrrrr was I am thinking of doing is hooknig such circuit to a Molex that'll disconnect for other Jamma PCBs.

For other PCB's should I just connect the + and - to appropriate spots on RCA jack?

Tell me some thoughts.

well, you could just stop by your local car audio shop and pick up a commercial speaker to line level adaptor. It would probably better be suited for general purpose usage.

You could also just totally skip the attentuation alltogether....but you would need to make sure the sound on all your Jamma boards is turned nearly all the way down to prevent damage to your audio equipment.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
Anotehr Solution,

JAMMA speakers :)

Get a small speaker for the hell of it :)

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
there is a split jamma layout with attenuation curcuit, just remember that you can get the ground off the harness or the powersupply for the attenuation curcuit.

supergun_layout.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you have a board with HEAPPHONE connections, you could just get an Rca-headphone adaptor and just use that....

Madbury

n00b
Its horses for courses really.

I've not used an attenuation circuit in my SG and I've not had any probs. Remember that arcade PCBs produce amplified sound which could blow your hifi and almost certainly will blow your TV. Just make sure the sound is down. THe only advantage of not having attenuation is that you can connect the audio out directly to some speakers eliminating the need for an extra amplifier.

On as side note I've wired a switch up to switch between stereo and mono operation. So I can run my MVS in stereo and then switch it to mono for the JAMMA boards. :glee:

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
I want to thank you all for the help. What I decided to go with for now is to hook my SG up to a small speaker. Funny thing, I thought it would produce crappy audio but that SOB gets pretty loud. Nothing like playing all my games from NEO -> Street Figther 2 -> Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (to name a few) on my Supergun with nooooooooo problems whatsoever.

Broken, I want to thank you TONS for the help you've provided me outside these forums, and everyone else thanks as well. I have 1 player wired up. Burnt my right middle and index fingers on soldering iron; so I'll wait for blisters to heal before completing 2nd player controls. :idiot:

That's just my update for now. Keep on Rockin' :buttrock:

-ToeJam

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think that the speaker sound much better than an attenuation circuit...

even if you use a at circuit with a stereo

It sounds much rawer and purer through a speaker.