Neo Geo Home Cart , over 1000 MEGS!!

Robi15

20 Year Member
When,when is it going to be releaced? The first Neo Geo Home Cart over 1000 MEGS!!! Metal Slug 4 or Mark Of The Wolves 2? It would make a mark in Neo Geo history!

I can't wait!!!!

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
I think it will be a while, possibly never? Its amazing that MS3 was 708 megs, but what did they use all of that space for?

Also, production of a 1000 meg cart would be quite expensive, that is why the Naomi is a CD based system....

Keith

Robi15

20 Year Member
Now that the newer games have the "Gigapower" chip, it should be cheeper for them to produce bigger games. The Metal Slug 3 was 708, just 292 megs left(!?). I also saw a article somewhere(i think it was NGF page) that the meg size does not control the cart cost. The game developing and artwork is the expencive part. In the world of arcade games, the producers generally try to make bigger and more advanced games to impress on the gamers out there. Idonno. Anyway, it's not allways the amount of Megs that make a game special.^_^

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited August 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited August 18, 2000).]

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Ummm... Sorry to burst your bubble, but the meg count of a game does control the cost. If you received that info from NGF, then they are flat out WRONG!

Manufactoring ROMs is not cheap, and the more you have, the more expensive it gets. This is why all of th newer game systems are using CDs, because of the cost of make ROMs and producing carts.

For example, a game like Puzzle Bobble has about $50 worth of ROMS in it, and it is only 32 Megs.

And this 'Giga Power' chip is nothing but a marketing ploy.

While game development is expensive, designing the artwork is dirt cheap. Also, the prototyping of a cart being prepared to go into production is another cost. Jeff Kurtz is probably better suited than myself to argue this point.

But I can say with 100% certainty that size DOES matter with cost.

Keith

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Paying all the people involved in making the game, music, artwork etc. would be a hugh cost indeed. And like a movie production the cost of making the movie is recooped on the amount of people that see the move or buy the game in the neo geo instance.

Now the majority if not all of this cost is recooped and then some from the amount of arcade carts sold to dealers. this is where snk makes there biggest profit.

when it gets to the home market it basically a profit margin game. You have to create the homecart inserts, manuals. stickers. and packaging. At that time though the biggest cost is the creating and making of the cart itself (designing a new board for the chips). the boxes are generic and the manual inserts and sticker although they have to be printed and designed. Running boards through a manf process is far more expensive the printing. and of course the cost of roms factors in also. Although I have not popped open my metal slug I would imagaine there is still a spot left to plug in another rom chip to prehaps reach the giga spec therefor costing more money.

Neo geo freak has some good info but it is often slanted to thier advantage. if you ask them to convert a cart they tell you it's $100. if you ask for thier homemade designed inserts manuals and stickers they want $500. I don't know why that expect so much for their inserts which is why I never buy converted cart artwork from them. Most of the designs are arranged from the MVS artwork and the color schemes is something they made up nothing official. (I personal prefer hot pink for action
smile.gif
) anyway come to your own conclusions.

Phil

Robi15

20 Year Member
Phil, that's right. But if they are going to releace a game for the home system anyway, the amount of megs will not affect (so much) on the final cost. So 1000 MEGS gamecarts are not impossible and should hopefully not be far away. Lets gome together and pray for it's happening very soon!

Robi15

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
You all make some good points, but I just want to point out a couple things quick here.

First off, there is a common misconception that there is a special chip in all gigapower games. The reality is, the only difference between "GIGA POWER" and "Max 330 Mega" is the startup screen. Once KOF 96 (I think it was the first, I could be wrong) broke the supposed 330 meg limit, they had to change the startup. Even then, it took them over 2 years to get around to changing it.

As for cart cost, well I really think everyone is sortof right on this matter. Of course larger ROMs are going to cost more than smaller ones, but I think that the marginal difference is really very small compared to the overall cost of cart manufacturing. I really do think that most of the cost comes from the plastic home cart molding, custom PCBs and yes the printing costs money as well. Think of it this way, there are so few home carts produced nowadays that home cart manufacturing doesnt get the benefit of quantity cost reductions. All this really makes no difference to us, the gamers, because we will be paying $270+ for every new game despite the meg count
smile.gif
Maybe more for KOF 2000, not because its a large game but because it is a marquee title and they pulled that crap last year with 99 (phone card). Just my thoughts ;-)

John

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
I don't think ANY Game has broken the 1000 Meg Barrier. Not Even KOF 2000..

How many Megs does KOF 2001 have?

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Mouse_Master:
<strong>I think it will be a while, possibly never? Its amazing that MS3 was 708 megs, but what did they use all of that space for?

Also, production of a 1000 meg cart would be quite expensive, that is why the Naomi is a CD based system....

Keith</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since I've been a member of these boards, which isn't very long, I must say that this is the first time I've seen you post. You were the one moderator I simply have never seen. Next would be the rarity of Dolphin Lord's posts followed be the equally elusive Jeff Kurtz. Biomotor Unitron, though, lately seems to post more frequently than ray_7. Just something that me me go "hmmmmmm".

ocsmod

Astra Superstar
KOF2001 size is a little more than 700 Megs according to the size of the MAME encripted ROMs (don't blame me, I own the original ;) ).

MS4 size is about 564 Megs according to a !Arcade! tech report. You may read it, it's quite interesting and easy to understand.

Playmore has designed a new custom chip to manage the program and audio code that allows to address all the code of the Vx mask, so in theory bigger games are now possible. But the extra space would be used for Program and Audio code only, as long as the graphics board has been used to its max in all the 600+ Megs games.

Here's the link:
<a href="http://www.neogeousa.com/ms4/ms4.html" target="_blank">!Arcade! MS4 tech info</a>

[ June 23, 2002: Message edited by: ocsmod ]</p>

MONSTER

New Challenger
Originally posted by ocsmod:
<strong>KOF2001 size is a little more than 700 Megs according to the size of the MAME encripted ROMs (don't blame me, I own the original ;) ).

MS4 size is about 564 Megs according to a !Arcade! tech report. You may read it, it's quite interesting and easy to understand.

Playmore has designed a new custom chip to manage the program and audio code that allows to address all the code of the Vx mask, so in theory bigger games are now possible. But the extra space would be used for Program and Audio code only, as long as the graphics board has been used to its max in all the 600+ Megs games.

Here's the link:
<a href="http://www.neogeousa.com/ms4/ms4.html" target="_blank">!Arcade! MS4 tech info</a>

[ June 23, 2002: Message edited by: ocsmod ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah...right. On some sites KOF2001 is listed with 892 megs. This is bollocks :) It only has around 700 megs.
Biggest game to date is still Metal Slug 3 with 708 megs.

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i suppose it is possible to have a game reach 1000+ megs i just looked at my garou mvs cart and it still has at least 2 extra spaces but i do not think that would even make it reach 1000+megs since what i have read the mvs boards cannot support 128 bit chips the max is 64 megs and yes read the article from arcade it is very informative but i am not a big tech guy and only know from what i have read in the past on these fourms but i believe it is possible to reach 1000+ maybe snk vs. capcom will reach 1000+ since they are taking their time doing this.

Robi15

20 Year Member
Is there a way to count the encryption? So that we could see what the gamesize would have been before they encrypt. We should have a cart over 1000megs easily. But maybe this can't be done..
(This is a 2 year old topic!! Man, what time fly's by)

Robi15

20 Year Member
Originally posted by NeoGoaT:
<strong>Robi, you're confusing encryption with compression.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shit, ofcourse. I mean compression. Thx NeoGoat. Encryption(!?) Wtf was i thinking about?!
alcoholic.gif
Huuu. Anyway is there a way to count out the COMPRESSED megs?

NeoGoaT

Mickey's Coach
No compression was used on Neo games AFAIK. I think since SNK liked those BIG meg counts they would have given the pre compression figure anyway.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: NeoGoaT ]</p>

I don't think you could get away with compression on a neo after all it is only 12Mhz the performance hit would be massive (if it had on board RAM then it would be a different story but it doesn't)

ocsmod

Astra Superstar
I actually think that Metal Slug 4 may have some kind of data compression.

Read it here:
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=004085" target="_blank">MS4 Size</a>

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
When,when is it going to be releaced? The first Neo Geo Home Cart over 1000 MEGS!!! Metal Slug 4 or Mark Of The Wolves 2? It would make a mark in Neo Geo history!

I can't wait!!!!
Fast Striker is the first Neo Geo game over 1000 megs.