The Noob Thread (All Noobs Welcome!)

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a Noob thread after seeing the 'tudes around here. This thread is a place where you can openly discuss whatever you like about the Neo without some elitist prick judging the validity of your opinions on how many posts you have on a message board.

What is it that brings you new collectors to these forums?

When did you buy your Neo?

Any problems or dissapointments?

What is your current favourite Neo game and your most anticipated purchase?

I myself got my first Neo (A Jp AES) in around '93, at the height of my collection I had around 50 games, sadly the whole lot had to be sold in '98 to fund the end of my crazy teenage years!

I have recently picked myself up a Neo CD as I have far more formats sucking away my cash nowadays! I have to say I am very impressed, the load times are acceptable to me and so far I haven't really noticed that much of a difference in the games themselves (Except chronic slowdown in TSS!), I think I may be in the market for an MVS cab soon, either that or a plasma TV anyway.

My favourite Neo game is also my favourite game ever, Twinkle Star Sprites. The shooting is intense, it feels like a puzzler, graphics and sound are exquisite and the characters all crack me up!

In fact my only complaint about reviving my interest in the Neo is the community. Have any of the rest of you Noobs been welcomed at all or is it just flames all round? is this the unfriendliest 'community' ever? How is it these people assume because you are new to this site you are somehow to be dismissed?

I have been playing video games for 20 years and currently have a dedicated games room housing 15 consoles and 4000+ original games, I wouldn't consider myself a Noob in any way!

Still here we are, anyway, enjoy this haven for all things Nooby, keep it friendly!

buster_broon

The Rock,
all noobz at one point me thinks

actually found the neo forums a year before i joined, i had a dreamcast and for some reason it wouldnt let me open an account - so i had to wait until i got a pc - it used to be extra excellent here but i favor other places as the drama drives most people insane

had a neo since samurai spirits came out and that was my first purchase - it cost £180 from dream machines 2

no problems as such - most recent disappointment was teh hype surrounding svc and when it was released it was awful other disappointment was the mvs side of things, had a cab and a few games but the bootleg situation was a nightmare - dont use ebay for mvs stuff unless teh seller mentions that the cart is an original

favourite neo game is windjammers and always will be windjammers as for anticipated purchase probably when i buy rotd - again, one game i shouldnt have sold

Last edited:

Stokers

Geese's Thug
Teh noobs :buttrock:

I used to play a lot of neo geo games in the arcades back in the day. Stuff like fatal fury 1/2 Samurai showdown. And even back then i wanted to get a neo but couldnt never afford it. Also found a MVS with metal slug at college. That was a couple of years ago and i kinda forgot about teh neo while at uni. Recently got back into it when i played MOTW.

Bought my first neo in December 2003, so while ive been playing the games for ages this is my first system. First game was Kof 98 sent direct from japan, most expensive and most loved cart is probally MOTW.

Scammers on ebay, got burned for a copy of last blade :very_ang: other than that, the neo is a great albeit expensive hobby.

Hmm tough one, my fav game on the neo would probally have to be either the first metal slug - because its so good and all the time i spent playing it in the arcades. MOTW is also right up there. In fact i really enjoy fatal fury 2 the music is so good.

In terms of carts im most looking forwawrd to getting..... I only collect Jap carts so im after Metal Slug X

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Ode To A Noob

Originally posted by a stereotypical member of the Neo-Geo.com community
Whine, whine, complain, complain. Why can't you just figure everything out yourself, stupid n00bs? I'm sure this question or that comment was answered at some point in time of this site's life; look it up! Bitch, bitch, groan, groan.

Yeah, for the most part, that's the reply people here prefer to give. It must somehow make them feel better, knowing they've verbally abused total strangers who simply wish to enjoy and take part in the discussions of a great video game machine: the Neo·Geo. Sad, really. :oh_no:

Originally posted by Pepperachou
I thought it might be a nice idea to start a noob thread after seeing the 'tudes around here. This thread is a place where you can openly discuss whatever you like about the Neo·Geo without some elitist prick judging the validity of your opinions on how many posts you have on a message board.

Amen, brother! If being a newbie is wrong, I don't want to be right. ;)

Boredom, really: complete and total boredom. That, and I enjoy Garou: Mark Of The Wolves and the Metal Slug series above pretty much every other game out there.

When did you buy your Neo·Geo?

The NGH AES was purchased back around '98, but without a single game to go with it. I tell ya, it was absolute misery there for awhile: having that amazing system without any games to play. Thankfully, Garou: Mark Of The Wolves and Metal Slug X weren't too far behind. Back then, I was insane, buying two copies of every game, just so I could have one still brand new and never played. :rolleyes: That financial decision just about killed me. Although having gone MVS since last Christmas, I still have one new NGH AES copy of each aforementioned game, as well as Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, and Metal Slug 5. Guess you could say I keep 'em around for posterity.

Any problems or disappointments?

A few technical mishaps here and there with my new consolized MVS, but, all in all, I really can't complain. Everything's just fine 'n' dandy, now. :)

What is your current favorite Neo·Geo game and your most anticipated purchase?

Right now, I'm playing the snot out of Garou: Mark Of The Wolves and Metal Slug X; those are the only two MVS cartridges I own at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be getting an MVS copy of Metal Slug 4 within a week's time.

My favorite Neo·Geo game is also my favorite game ever: Twinkle Star Sprites. The shooting is intense, it feels like a puzzler, graphics and sound are exquisite, and the characters all crack me up!

You know, I've never had a chance to play that game. But, from the way you described it, I may just have to check that baby out. :cool: Thanks for the heads up!

In fact, my only complaint about reviving my interest in the Neo·Geo is the community. Have any of the rest of you noobs been welcomed at all or is it just flames all 'round? Is this the unfriendliest community ever? How is it these people assume because you are new to this site you are somehow to be dismissed?

I have been playing video games for 20 years and currently have a dedicated games room housing 15 consoles and 4,000+ original games; I wouldn't consider myself a noob in any way!

I could hate every single member on this board for one reason or another. Some may deserve it more than others, but I could easily find some reason to argue, bicker, and constantly fight with everyone here. I guess that's just my nature; I guess that's just human nature.

Thing is, I enjoy talkin' about the Neo·Geo so much, I'm willing to overlook flaw upon fault upon flaw. Yeah, quite a few of the members here are huffy, puffy windbags, but you just have to learn to live with 'em. Go along to get along, know-what-I-mean? ;)

Still here we are. Anyway, enjoy this haven for all things noobie, [and] keep it friendly!

Shut up, you noob!! :very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

Heh, just kiddin'. Thanks, Pepperachou, for giving the noob a post of his or her very own. Hopefully, I'll always be able to remain a noob here, even if only in spirit. :buttrock:

Cheers SuperMegaUltra, it was your flaming and Joe Mushashi's that caused this thread, you both did very well to keep your dignity and not resort to childish retorts.

Do check out Twinkle, you might want to check it out on (Shh, Whisper) A ROM! before you look a buying, all Neo versions are rare and expensive. Alternatively, if you have a Dreamcast then get it for that, it may sound like heresy but it is by far the best version.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

I bought my 6-slot MVS cab two months ago and I've loved every minute.

My current favourite must be... Metal Slug. Plain and simple. I just ordered full, new kits of Metal Slugs 4 and 5 from Arcadeshock! I'm, mildly put, excited!

Pepperachou said:
In fact my only complaint about reviving my interest in the Neo is the community. Have any of the rest of you Noobs been welcomed at all or is it just flames all round? is this the unfriendliest 'community' ever? How is it these people assume because you are new to this site you are somehow to be dismissed?

I got welcomed in nicely (thanks Mercenary X99). But yeah, I've seen some noobs got burned for asking a dumb question. But you shouldn't blame it on the whole community. Just some jackasses getting off.

But welcome to you!

Me thinks this thread should be stickied. Huh, mods?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ResOGlas = some elitist prick. :emb:

I hate you all. Oh yeah, enjoy your stay also ;)

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
I guess the site is pretty famous. I visited here for about a year before I joined the forums.

Bought it in Jan this year. I've only recently been in a financial position to be able to afford it. Played most SNK ports (Saturn, DC) and wanted to get the "real deal" I guess.

I expected more from SVC Chaos (my second most expensive game after MS5)

Viewpoint is my current favourite. Currently saving for Waku Waku 7 and MOTW :buttrock: . Could be a while tho :( .

Originally posted by Pepperachou.
Have any of the rest of you Noobs been welcomed at all or is it just flames all round? is this the unfriendliest 'community' ever? How is it these people assume because you are new to this site you are somehow to be dismissed?

I haven't been flamed or made to feel unwelcome, but then I haven't started a thread about the possibilty of putting SNES-style SuperFX chips in new AES carts :D

Dojang Jon

Rugal's Thug
Why?
Becausfe if I didn't get advice I'd never be able to finish my Supergun.
When?
I got a 98% pristine 4slot mvs in the mail a few weeks ago (<gasp> a sticker was scratched!! not like I care Im taking the top off and painting it anyway).
Problems?
Well, so far I've salvaged an old 1987 PC chassis and PSU but I am having the darn'dest time finding 28/56 Molex (akaJAMMA) or any DB 15pins.
Anticipating....
The inevitable price drop in KOF2002, in the meantime I'll play old MS and KOF and misc.

Madbury

n00b
Hi,

great thread as this is by far the most hostile forum I've ever been to.

Dunno. I was building a supergun to play some JAMMA PCBs then I purchased a MVS 1 slot off of evilbay with KOF99 and Magician Lord for about 60 quid. Since then I can't stop playing the damned thing. Wanted to learn more so came here.

See above

None? although I don't think the MVS 1FZ supports stereo sound, which is a bit of a bugger

Current fave is KOF99 with SS3 a close second. I'd quite like Waku Waku 7 or Pulstar next.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
"What is it that brings you new collectors to these forums?"

I have allways loved the Neo!:) Feels like im in another forum for visiting this thread... hmm also feels like we are siting here waiting right now for the bullys to enter this thread and tell us that we are friggin stupid n00bs!:D Who really cares. I havent felt any hostility towards me personally...but I have read som comments that was pretty unesesary.

I havent!! Is there really no videogame store on the net that sells them like new or something? Thinking of buying from eBay but but....i´d like some guaranty that the product feels somewhat new! I WANT AN AES NOW!:D I got a Neo Geo CD but thats not the same thing now is it!?;)

Yeah...not finding the AES system I want!

Right now I play the KOF series on my Dreamcast!:D

I got a Neo Geo CD but thats not the same thing now is it!?

I know what you mean but at least game prices are reasonable. Plus I would much rather have a Neo CD than play ports or roms.

I will upgrade to cart as soon as I reach 400 Megadrive games, finish my Saturn shooter collection, buy an X-Arcade stick, finish my Jaguar collection etc etc etc!

Man, I need a cheaper hobby, anyone for origami?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Its not just you guys that have a hard time with the flaming. I've been here a couple of years, but some of the crap that is spouted on this site is taking its toll. I even find myself sometimes acting like a dickhead to other members just to raise the drama bar just a little. It's ok, funny even for a while but it gets tiresome. I had an easy passage when I first came to this site, and there are some quality people around here. But the bullshit is out of control.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Cheers, SuperMegaUltra! It was your and Joe Mushashi's flaming that caused this thread; you both did very well to keep your dignity and not resort to childish retorts.

:tickled: :tickled: :tickled: Three rousing cheers right back at ya, Pepperachou, for creating such a fine thread! I appreciate your compliments, and look forward to a wonderful and continued banter of conversation between you and everyone else 'round here: both the noobs and crotchety ol' members. ;)

Oh, and a big thanks to Dojang Jon, finngamer, Madbury, son_of_bael, and Temjin for coming out of their shells and posting. To all you other noobs out there: come on out and post here! This really is a great place to while away the hours. Thing is, you have to take it one step at a time, here. So, come on in; the posting's fine! :buttrock:

Also, an honorable mention goes out to buster_broon, DevilRedeemed, ResOGlas, and Stokers for maintaining a very awesome repartee with us noobs. Rest assured, y'all are not the typical Neo-Geo.com member, and for that, we thank you. :cool:

Do check out Twinkle Star Sprites; you might want to check it out on (shh, whisper...) a ROM before you look into buying. All Neo·Geo versions are rare and expensive. Alternatively, if you have a Dreamcast then get it for that. It may sound like heresy, but it is by far the best version.

For better or worse, I have no ability or desire to use or play ROMs; computers and I have never got along all too well. Still, I'd love to check out Twinkle Star Sprites. Come to think of it, didn't they make a port for that on the Sega Saturn as well? If so, I know where I can pick it up, cheap. :)

Nice to see y'all basking in the safety of Pepperachou's Noob shelter!

I'm beginning to wish I had never found these forums, I now have a really strong desire to sell all my non-neo gaming stuff (except my Dreamcast!) and buy an MVS cab and a shed load of carts.

I am waiting to see what future support SNKP are planning on giving the Xbox though. Since the announcement of Metal Slug 3 and a few other choice titles I have picked up four of these bad boys...

The Nicest Arcade Stick Ever

With a simple cable mod and the XBCD drivers they also work on my PC, although I can't think of any PC applications that could possibly require an arcade stick :D

If anyone wants to know how to do the cable mod, just PM me.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Pepperachou said:
I'm beginning to wish I had never found these forums, I now have a really strong desire to sell all my non-neo gaming stuff (except my Dreamcast!) and buy an MVS cab and a shed load of carts.

I am so excited about my cab! :D

If you can find one near you, with no shipping hassles, go for it! It is my most stylish piece of interior decoration. Plus it plays games too! :glee:

Sure there are ports here and there, but the real deal is the real deal. But don't sell everything away! At least keep the four most important consoles in videogame history: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 and the Dreamcast.

Streets of Rage

Zero's Secretary

since i bought my neo last year ive come here just to find out about the games and keep up with prices

late on last year i picked up a consolized one slot with 5 games

im pretty dissapointed with last blade 2, maybe im not getting something but i find it a bit too slow

either MOTW or metal slug, both are fantastic games, i lost my part time job recently so if i ever have any more money im after Metal Slug 5 or something platformy like Sengoku 2 or Magician Lord

bones

Crazed MVS Addict
finngamer said:
I am so excited about my cab! :D

At least keep the four most important consoles in videogame history: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 and the Dreamcast.

Ahem, that's a biased perspective! Some of the cooler consoles perhaps, but most important? ...what about the Atari 2600?

...but I digress, go noobs! Picked up an AES system at the flea market last fall. Had it for a few months but ended up going the MVS route. Have a 2 slot big red cabinet now, looks great in the house! Favorite game so far is either Metal Slug 1 or 3, though Aerofighters 2 is close behind. Most looking forward to a drop in price for MS5!

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
bones said:
Ahem, that's a biased perspective! Some of the cooler consoles perhaps, but most important? ...what about the Atari 2600?

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit biased. ;)

But still, although Atari practically made the home-console market, it also destroyed it. Completely. So, in that perspective, it is not that important. But the NES, on the other hand, made the industry again, from scratch, and the world hasn't been the same since.

Maybe on my list (NES, SNES, N64, DC) the SNES and the DC were there for personal reasons, but the NES and Nintendo 64 are two of the most important, influential consoles ever.

NES: Scrolling game screen, light gun, many of todays game series started on the NES... and Zelda featured, for the first time, non-linear gameplay and save function.

Nintendo 64: Analogue control, controller vibration... And our minds simply can't comprehend what would 3D gaming be without Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. They affected EVERY game developer.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Re: Ode To A Noob

SuperMegaUltra said:
Yeah, for the most part, that's the reply people here prefer to give. It must somehow make them feel better, knowing they've verbally abused total strangers who simply wish to enjoy and take part in the discussions of a great video game machine: the Neo·Geo. Sad, really. :oh_no:

Sad indeed.

Covanent Elite

New Challenger
For a board owning such an expensive console it sure does have a lot of biter people.

Last month I got a Neo-Geo CD

Controllers ost $50 and I cant find Nam 1975

My favorite Neo Geo game is Samurai Showdown 2

I do have Top Hunter coming in the mail.

Its not Neo Geo but I am antcipating Metal Slug 3 on XBOX.

So far I have 7 games and I have about 6 to go and I'll have all the games I want on Neo Geo CD.

I guess the people making fun of "noobs" think they are special since they had a Neo Geo earlier.

It's almost like they feel its a rule that new people can't have Neo Geo's.

aria

Former Moderator
For the record, I only get annoyed when newbies don't bother to see "Glossary" on the left-menu bar. Maybe people don't know what "glossary" means, but it would clear up many of the more irritating questions.