My dreams crushed!!

Dizrythmia

n00b
I purchased a Neo Geo from a friend about 2 years ago for $50AU (bargain!!!!). It has sat in my house unplayed ever since.
Now, when I got my Neo Geo it was boxed but with no cables. I also recently bought a PC Engine Core Grafx 2 which had similar cables, & lo & behold, I plug the AV cable & AC Adapter into the Neo Geo & they fit. Turn the Neo Geo on & I see the screen flicker black, then blue. I figured it must work so purchased a game to try. I purchased "Art of Fighting 2" from someone on Ebay & received it in the mail last night.
I plug in the cartridge, turn it on, & immediately I see a blue screen with a series of black squares at the top. Not the Neo Geo splash screen I've been waiting 2 years to see. Now obviously something isn't working. There are a few Neo Geo techs out there, so I thought I would ask, does it sound like the game or the system??? Or is it the PC Engine cables?? If the system what part of the system?? I figure it will probably be hard to say without looking at it, but I can only ask :)

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
It's more than likely the power supply. They may fit, doesn't make em the right voltage. TAKE OUT THAT POWER SUPPLY IMMEDIATELY, don't wanna ruin your Neo. Get an official power supply and try again.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Sorry to hear that..

I think you may have pushed too much Voltage..

I think a PC Engines Output is 10.5V DC 730mA

Whereas a AES systems is...
Power tip from AES. NEO-O

Input 120V ~60Hz 22 W.
Output 5V 3A

I think the AES systems may have different power supply requirements per model.

Dizrythmia

n00b
I saw the thread about using a Megadrive power supply, so I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the advice. The AV cable for my PC Engine also works on my Megadrive 1. Would there be any issues using this AV cable with the Neo Geo??

Dizrythmia

n00b
chris1 said:
Sorry to hear that..

I think you may have pushed too much Voltage..

I think a PC Engines Output is 10.5V DC 730mA

Whereas a AES systems is...
Power tip from AES. NEO-O

Input 120V ~60Hz 22 W.
Output 5V 3A

I think the AES systems may have different power supply requirements per model.

Being that I am in Australia I cannot use the official PC Engine power supply. I use an adjustable power supply. I actually run my PC Engine on 7.5 volts & it works fine. I tried the Neo Geo on that. It does go down to 5 volts as well... I have a step down converter if needed, but I'd rather not use it..... I'll have to see.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Different home units use different power supplies.

Post the serial # and region and someone here should be able to help you match up the type of psu you need.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
arn't the power requirements written on the bottomof the neo?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Look at the bottom of your system, there's a label that says "use pro-pow AC adaptor only"

If it's PRO-POW or PRO-POW2 you have to use a 5V PSU, if it's PRO-POW3 you can use anything between 7V and 40V.

Also, it's important that the polarity of the plug is positive outside and negative inside.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I believe a CoreGrafx uses 9V and 650 mA.

The issue I believe is you don't have enough current going to the Neo.

NEVER EVER use a plug unless you know it's the same output!!! EVER!!!! I don't care if it fits, it can screw up your system!

Should make that a sticky or something.

Dizrythmia

n00b
Thanks for the help so far guys. I should have known better admittedly, having the large video game collection that I have (I've got a private classic game museum). I was admittedly overeager about trying the whole thing. No excuse I know..... I'm at work now, so I'll be calling my girlfriend at home & getting her to tell me what it says on the bottom of the Neo Geo. It doesn't specifically say what voltage or wattage is needed,. that much I do know, or I would never have tried a different power supply. As I said it's not an official PC Engine supply, it's 3rd party & adjustable from 5 volts up to 12. I only tried 7.5, as it seemed like a nice medium. Not too high if it's 5 volt & not too low if it's 9 volt. I've always tried that in the past if I've been unsure about something. I'll have to get the specs of that supply as well.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wierd thing about plugs is:

I always used a sms adaptor in my nes.

Then one day i tried a nes adaptor on my second generation sms. the video would only display wavy black bars.

then i plugged the nes adaptro into my first gen sms... POP CRACKLE AND Smoke... I blew it up.....

Dizrythmia

n00b
Here is what is listed on the sticker on the bottom of my Neo Geo:

SNK
NEO-GEO
neo geo
model no. NEO-AEC
rating 8w
use pro-pow ac adapter only
serial no.
908 042941
SNK corporation made in japan

So I assume the system runs at 5v???

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Dizrythmia said:
Here is what is listed on the sticker on the bottom of my Neo Geo:

SNK
NEO-GEO
neo geo
model no. NEO-AEC
rating 8w
use pro-pow ac adapter only
serial no.
908 042941
SNK corporation made in japan

So I assume the system runs at 5v???

Yes, and supplying the machine with a higher voltage wasn't a good idea: 7.5V is definitely too high and could damage it.
Set the PSU at 5V and the plug at the correct polarity.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
multi

If it is a 5v model.it must be 5v regulated also those multi voltage adaptors only supply about 1/2 of an amp where the Neo needs about 2 amp supply....

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
Why would you try to use another supply just because the plug fit?? Come on now, you didn't really think that might not cause problems?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
IF it's 8 watt wouldint it be one of the 9v models?

I thoguht both of 5v models were 5v@3amps........ THat's 15 watts.

Dizrythmia

n00b
I think I'll just buy another Neo Geo off Ebay. I only paid $50AU for it & for a Neo Geo that's pretty good. If I find my deck works when I have the correct power supply & AV cable then I'll Ebay it or keep it as a spare.
Till then I still have my Neo Geo Pocket :)
Thanks for all the help

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Dizrythmia said:
I think I'll just buy another Neo Geo off Ebay. I only paid $50AU for it & for a Neo Geo that's pretty good. If I find my deck works when I have the correct power supply & AV cable then I'll Ebay it or keep it as a spare.
Till then I still have my Neo Geo Pocket :)
Thanks for all the help

Sounds like a good idea. After you get the right power supply, make sure you clean your AOF 2 cartridge thoroughly before you try it out. Scrubbing the contacts with alcohol-soaked q-tips seems to work pretty well, although I guess contact cleaner would be optimal. Anyway, don't forget to do a thorough cleaning job on that cart, especially considering how old it probably is.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
IF it's 8 watt wouldint it be one of the 9v models?

I thoguht both of 5v models were 5v@3amps........ THat's 15 watts.

5V/3A is the power supply specs. The machine only draws about 1.5A, which makes the 8 watt indication fairly correct.