My Mini Neo Geo Project cab..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This and the Neo Geo Gold 2 slot are my current projects...
(I will take pictures of the Neo Geo golds progress as I get parts and finish things.
I have the control panel off and almost totally sanded,ready to be painted.

My Mini Neo Geo 1 slot Project cab..
MKII_004.jpg

It's pretty small,It has a Mortal Kombat pcb set in it...It works well...I'm pulling that MK board set out and selling it on Ebay.
The control panel layout is horrible...really horrible,but I like a project.
I'm changing that control panel set up to smaller sticks and a different layout.

It's a solid cab,no damage and will clean up nice..I haven't did anything to it yet.
It has one loud speaker in the center so It's going to have to be Mono...(man,it's pretty deep sounding in that shroud).

It has a standard Arcade Power Supply in it and looks to be Jamma..

I'm going to put in a MV-1 PCB this week and make it a one slot.
((changing that control panel set up to smaller sticks and a different layout/overlay etc.)

I put this in tech because I'll have Technical questions to ask for sure..

If it doesn't work out the way I want,I may just put the Irritating Maze set up in it..
Cut a big hole in the Center of the control panel for the Track Ball..use a few of the button holes and cover up the rest.

What I need is an idea for the small lighted top..
The Mortal Kombat Logo in there is a Sticker...
There are 5-6 lighted bulbs in there..

I need an idea for the top ..I want it to say Neo Geo,But I don't have any scans of Neo Geo to use etc..

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Wow, is it even worth making that a two player cab? I mean, the control panel looks dinky, and it's going to be so small with 2 sets of 4 buttons. Maybe a 1player neo cab?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
c.t.h said:
Wow, is it even worth making that a two player cab? I mean, the control panel looks dinky, and it's going to be so small with 2 sets of 4 buttons. Maybe a 1player neo cab?

Yea..As bad as the layout is..

I played my uncle today and he's a big guy..We both had no problem playing a two player game.

It looks small but it's not that small..

The sticks are to far toward the bottom of the control panel...& The left stick is too far right.
I need to raise them up move the left stick over and use the button layout like a Mini Dedicated Neo Geo Cab has.

I pretty much have that all planned out already.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lithy said:
Is that an original MK cab?

I honestly don't know..I seriously doubt it though...

The PCB setup inside looks like it's been there and all the wiring seems matched...(It fits in perfectly)
I test switch/volume/on -off etc..all in places like they were always there..
Maybe a MK put in a generic cab.

The Monitor is rotatable though....(?)This may have been something else...I don't see any remains of an old set-up.

I'm not a MK fan ....I recently sold both MK 2 sets boards I had..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I want to make the layout like this..

c4_1_s.jpg

The sticks on the MK are so big they make the control panel look so small...

Last edited:

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
lithy said:
Is that an original MK cab?

No, that is an early Midway cabaret (mini cab). Looks to be a Ms Pac man. The logo on the coin door is a dead giveaway to it being a Midway cab. Bah, can't believe they would use that cab for an MK2. Are you sure you wouldn't rather restore that to a Ms Pac? ;)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
No, that is an early Midway cabaret (mini cab). Looks to be a Ms Pac man. The logo on the coin door is a dead giveaway to it being a Midway cab. Bah, can't believe they would use that cab for an MK2. Are you sure you wouldn't rather restore that to a Ms Pac? ;)

The funny thing is I thought about making it into a Ms Pac Man...
but I may buy my bother in laws Ms Pac Man for my wife.

I can still do that though..... now or later..

MKII_009.jpg

MKII_008.jpg

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
It's also possible that it was a Galaga mini at one time. I'm fairly certain both Ms Pac and Galaga used the same style mini cab (Pac Man did not). There may be an ID tag inside if you looked. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
It's also possible that it was a Galaga mini at one time. I'm fairly certain both Ms Pac and Galaga used the same style mini cab (Pac Man did not). There may be an ID tag inside if you looked. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Thank you..

The vendor I bought it from had said something about Galaga but I was looking at another machine and wasn't really paying attention.

I thought he was talking about a machine he had at the location I bought this..but I didn't see a Galaga..
So I think you nailed it..

Do you know where I would find the tag..inside..?

Though I'm a Neo Geo nut,the real only reason I want to make this into a Neo Convert is because I already have 90 of the parts to do it whereas anything else is added cost..
But,..I'll have to do some shopping around and see what the cost of things are to make it restored to original..

Capcom CPS popped into my head tonight since I also could use it for those and stick some Capcom stickers on it that I have..

But I think Yellow and blue Capcom stickers on a brown cab would be horrible..:loco:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I would go with a classic game for that cab too (classic as in Pacman, Galaga type games). BUT, I would either go with a MAME cab for it or put the ultimate classic in it: ROBOTRON.... :buttrock:

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
chris1 said:
Thank you..

The vendor I bought it from had said something about Galaga but I was looking at another machine and wasn't really paying attention.

I thought he was talking about a machine he had at the location I bought this..but I didn't see a Galaga..
So I think you nailed it..

Do you know where I would find the tag..inside..?

Though I'm a Neo Geo nut,the real only reason I want to make this into a Neo Convert is because I already have 90 of the parts to do it whereas anything else is added cost..
But,..I'll have to do some shopping around and see what the cost of things are to make it restored to original..

Capcom CPS popped into my head tonight since I also could use it for those and stick some Capcom stickers on it that I have..

But I think Yellow and blue Capcom stickers on a brown cab would be horrible..:loco:

Hmm. My Pac Man is actually a Galaxian and the tag that ID's it is stapled to the inside on the left. That might be where you can look. The mini cabs didn't have side art, only plain woodgrain sides, so there wouldn't be any art on the sides.

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
Also, it could be somewhat costly to restore it to Galaga, depending on how important original parts are to you. An original Galaga PCB that works goes for around $180. Since this cab is JAMMA, you could just run the game with a JAMMA adaptor instead of rewiring the cab. There are bootleg Galaga pcb's out there and there might be some that are JAMMA (i've seen many Ms Pac jamma's).

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
Hmm. My Pac Man is actually a Galaxian and the tag that ID's it is stapled to the inside on the left. That might be where you can look. The mini cabs didn't have side art, only plain woodgrain sides, so there wouldn't be any art on the sides.

SuperGunGuru said:
Also, it could be somewhat costly to restore it to Galaga, depending on how important original parts are to you. An original Galaga PCB that works goes for around $180. Since this cab is JAMMA, you could just run the game with a JAMMA adaptor instead of rewiring the cab. There are bootleg Galaga pcb's out there and there might be some that are JAMMA (i've seen many Ms Pac jamma's).

Thank you..:)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
Not a problem :) If you do find out what cab it was for sure, I'd be interested to know. I love those mini cabs, but they aren't cheap.

Oh yea...I'll let you know for sure..

I had the cab running for awhile today ..I have to clean it up inside and out..
I'm going to look inside it tomorrow for the tag and change the sticks to a smaller set........ Supers for now to play with,then maybe finalizing with some Sanwas.

.I want to finish most of the Control panel etc on the Neo Gold before I start on this cab..

I'm getting ahead of myself with projects.

I started making an Xbox joystick into a Neo Geo AES compatible stick.
I'm still waiting on the parts that were shipped today.

Then the Neo Gold and now this.....It's fun though..

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
chris1 said:

I'm getting ahead of myself with projects.

I started making an Xbox joystick into a Neo Geo AES compatible stick.
I'm still waiting on the parts that were shipped today.

Then the Neo Gold and now this.....It's fun though..

I know how you feel. I got the chance to pick up a free Pole Position cab (mostly empty, but it still has some very useable parts). I don't know how long it will sit before I can mess with it, but for free, I had to do it :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
I know how you feel. I got the chance to pick up a free Pole Position cab (mostly empty, but it still has some very useable parts). I don't know how long it will sit before I can mess with it, but for free, I had to do it :)

Oh yea,..That's going to be an awesome project..

Congratulations..Nice Find..:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
looks like it should be fun! good choice!

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Def loox like a fun project no matter what you do w/ it. Good luck.
And post pix when you finish w/ it. :D

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Sundance said:
Def loox like a fun project no matter what you do w/ it. Good luck.
And post pix when you finish w/ it. :D

Thanks man..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I could almost fit a Candy Cabs Control panel into this cab.
(identical to the Control panel on my MVS 25 Candy)

If I was to move the joysticks closer I could get this Joy/button layout type to fit.

If I had a control panel from a Neo 19 Candy cab I bit it would fit.

I put a Big Red 1 slot marquee in front to get an idea of cab size.
(I have a better 1 slot marquee on my wall)
MKII_016.jpg

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Have you thought about changing the placement of the 'A' button. I was thinking that it may fit your overlay area better if you moved the 'A' button down to the flat side on the front and used your thumb for it. This would allow for more room for 2 people and for all the buttons comfortably. Stand if front of your mini and try this and see if its an option. Its just a thought..but it might work.:cool: