A couple of quick questions !

scudman

n00b
I'm a newbie to the Neo scene, can anyone answer these really dumb questions of mine !
What is a Phantom1 ?
I have a Jap AES system, will it play US games without any mods etc?

I know these may seem daft questions to people in the know, but i'm still learning !

Cheers,simon

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
scudman said:
I'm a newbie to the Neo scene, can anyone answer these really dumb questions of mine !
What is a Phantom1 ?

A Phantom-1 allows you to play MVS (arcade) cartridges on your AES (home) system. The guts of these two cartridges are identical, but their sizes are not. All the Phantom-1 really does is change the physical size of the slots and reroute the electronics.

Oh, and some MVS games don't work with the Phantom-1, FYI.

I have a Jap AES system, will it play US games without any mods etc?

Yes, but it will play the games in Japanese. If you'd like your JPN AES system to play the games in English, you'll have to get a debug bios mod. Consult either JMKurtz (moderator for the tech forum) or KennyBoy to have this mod (and others) performed.

I know these may seem daft questions to people in the know, but i'm still learning !

Cheers,simon

No problem at all, man. I'm glad to see new guys coming into the Neo scene. The longer you guys keep the Neo scene growing and healthy - the longer I'll get to enjoy it :D!

Welcome aboard.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Just a little comment, most games have a language option so you may be able to play them in English anyway.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Pep said:
Just a little comment, most games have a language option so you may be able to play them in English anyway.

The games that came out after '95 have the language option - most others do not.

Also, the language options censors the game when you've got it in English mode. If you've got the debug, you can just go into MVS mode and have the best of both worlds.

Anyway, you could get by without getting the debug bios, but I've done it both ways - and I definitely recommend it.

scudman

n00b
thanks for the info guys, i will try a few games and see if they come up with the english language option, if the games i have all seem to be Jap text i will try and get the bios upgraded, I live in the UK are you aware of anybody from the UK who could do this for me, or is it easy enough for me to do it myself?

thanks again, simon

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
scudman said:
thanks for the info guys, i will try a few games and see if they come up with the english language option, if the games i have all seem to be Jap text i will try and get the bios upgraded, I live in the UK are you aware of anybody from the UK who could do this for me, or is it easy enough for me to do it myself?

thanks again, simon

If you can use a soldering gun and have a steady hand, you could probably do it yourself. I don't know anyone who installs them in the UK, but I'm sure there are some people around there that do - you'll just have to do some looking.

Cassius

Benji, everyone loves Benji!
the member dreamstationx would be able to do the bios service for you, heres the link to his website www.neostore.f9.co.uk. Welcome aboard and be prepared to kiss all your savings goodbye ;)