MVS 2 slot sound problem :s

Furrikain

New Challenger
Hi,

Well, here's the deal:

First of all, my cab has somekind of weird pcb with a credit counter and stuff on it, and pretty much all cables go through it (see pic).
The board also has 2 dials to adjust left and right speaker volume.
While adjusting the volume, the sound in the right speaker died and i haven't been able to get it back.

Here's a pic with some things marked:

soundproblem.jpg

1 and 2 are the plugs for the right and left speaker.
A and B are the volume dials for right and left speaker and C is the connector leading to the MVS board.

A is defective (in case you're wondering about the shiny stuff, that's pcb cleaner; i figured i'd see if it would help - which it didn't) I also now the speaker itself works, because when i switch the plugs on the pcb, the sound just shifts from the left to the right.

I'm thinking about soldering a new dial onto the pcb, but i was wondering if there isn't an easier way.

For instance, couldn't i just take the 1 and 2 connectors and just bypass the pcb by soldering em directly to the MVS board? Or perhaps solder them to a headphone plug and use a headphone jack on the MVS board?

I'm not really an electronics whizz and a total MVS n00b, so all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for bearing with me and reading this long post ;)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Just bringing this info over here..

Originally posted by chris1
I think this will get more responses in Tech..

What type of Cab is this etc..?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's an ELAM Group N'Styl cab (made in france). That's all i know about it and a google search turned up waaay to much crap to find something reliable; hence my suggestion to just bypass that weird PCB.

Can you take a picture of the cab..?

I know I can't help on this one but any and all info will be helpfull to the person that can..

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I agree with Chirs....

Just save the headaches and bypass the stuff....

Furrikain

New Challenger
norton9478 said:
I agree with Chirs....

Just save the headaches and bypass the stuff....

That was my own suggestion actually ;) But that's the problem: how do i do that? :D

So i guess i'm gonna bypass it then; who can tell me the best way to connect my cab's speakers directly to the board?

off topic: norton9478 i saw in another thread you wanted to make a NES pad for your GC, you should check out the hori controller for the GC on Liksang, it's pretty much an SNES controller and works great with the gameboy player :D

EDIT: you can find more pictures of the cab here

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
That's really a unique-nice looking cab..

ZVBN.jpg

wijzenplzktnx.jpg

wtfdips.jpg

Many more pics in the link..I just pulled out 3.

http://users.pandora.be/furrikain/cab/

I'd pull the plug off that sound board..trace which wires are for the speakers from the harness ..not cutting the plug off but splicing in-between the wires and running them to the speakers.(Bypass).Also taking off what wires currently go to the speakers and remembering how it was hooked up.,,(this way if you need to go bach to the original set-up you can.

If I think I may have a problem putting something back together I take digital pictures so I can refer back to them..

NEO GEO PINS
http://www.crazykong.com/pins/Neogeo.pin.txt
NEO GEO 2,4,6 SLOT
http://www.crazykong.com/pins/NeoGeo246.pin.txt

Furrikain

New Challenger
chris1 said:
I'd pull the plug off that sound board..trace which wires are for the speakers from the harness ..not cutting the plug off but splicing in-between the wires and running them to the speakers.(Bypass).Also taking off what wires currently go to the speakers and remembering how it was hooked up.,,(this way if you need to go bach to the original set-up you can.

If I think I may have a problem putting something back together I take digital pictures so I can refer back to them..

NEO GEO PINS
http://www.crazykong.com/pins/Neogeo.pin.txt
NEO GEO 2,4,6 SLOT
http://www.crazykong.com/pins/NeoGeo246.pin.txt [/B]

Thanks for the explanation chris1, it's gonna help a lot :) I just want to make sure we're on the same page here:

Basically i solder off the original speaker wires, find out which 2 wires coming out of the big connector on top of the board are for L and R sound, and solder those directly to the speakers?

Is that correct? If so, i'll take a look at it with a printout of those neopin txt's with me, but i have to say i don't have very high hopes in succeeding right away, that connector looks like a mess :eek:

In those textfiles, does this represent a pin (see below)?

---------------------------|---|---|---------------------------

That's about it i guess, forgive me my paranoia but i know far to little about these things to fix em so i can't afford to screw this one up ;) Soldering should be no problem IF i locate the right pins
to solder too

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Furrikain said:
Thanks for the explanation chris1, it's gonna help a lot :) I just want to make sure we're on the same page here:

Basically i solder off the original speaker wires, find out which 2 wires coming out of the big connector on top of the board are for L and R sound, and solder those directly to the speakers?

Is that correct? If so, i'll take a look at it with a printout of those neopin txt's with me, but i have to say i don't have very high hopes in succeeding right away, that connector looks like a mess :eek:

In those textfiles, does this represent a pin (see below)?

That's about it i guess, forgive me my paranoia but i know far to little about these things to fix em so i can't afford to screw this one up ;) Soldering should be no problem IF i locate the right pins
to solder too

Yes,that represents a pin..
The harness connection on your board starting from the left side.

Just as your board is standing vertical in your cab this is what your harness should be hooked to use both speakers for Stereo.

If you was to look at it from above..or if you turned your board as it is toward you still standing vertical

The Parts side being the top of the harness...

Pinouts
---------------------------------------------------------------
SOLDER SIDE | PARTS SIDE
_______________________________|_______________________________
Ground | A | 1 | Ground
Ground | B | 2 | Ground
+5V | C | 3 | +5V
+5V | D | 4 | +5V
-5V (Not Used) | E | 5 | -5V (Not Used)
+12V | F | 6 | +12V
KEY | H | 7 | KEY
Coin Meter 2 | J | 8 | Coin Meter 1
Lockout 2 | K | 9 | Lockout 1
Speaker(+) Left * | L | 10| Speaker(+) Right *
Test Switch | M | 11| Audio Line Out **
Video Green | N | 12| Video Red
Video Sync | P | 13| Video Blue
Service Switch | R | 14| Video Ground
Coin 4 | S | 15| Coin 3
Coin 2 | T | 16| Coin 1
2 Player Start | U | 17| 1 Player Start
Player 2 Up | V | 18| Player 1 Up
Player 2 Down | W | 19| Player 1 Down
Player 2 Left | X | 20| Player 1 Left
Player 2 Right | Y | 21| Player 1 Right
Player 2 Button A | Z | 22| Player 1 Button A
Player 2 Button B | a | 23| Player 1 Button B
Player 2 Button C | b | 24| Player 1 Button C
Player 2 Button D | c | 25| Player 1 Button D
Select Down | d | 26| Select Up
Ground | e | 27| Ground
Ground | f | 28| Ground

* Connect Speaker (-) to one of the ground pins to complete the circuit.

If you hook up the wrong positive on the left speaker and it was for the right all you have to do is reverse them..

Hook up/Speaker(+) Left * | L | .........to the left speaker.
Hook up/Speaker(+) Right * |10|..........to the right speaker

Then...A wire from each speaker to ..any of these grounds on your harness.
Ground | e | 27| Ground
Ground | f | 28| Ground

The main problem is..I don't really know how your harness is set up..
So you may not have the same ground locations..

Plus you need to make sure that Sound board is not hooked up at all..for it may loop and fry something..

Do you have a diagram of your cabs harness set up..?
Do you have a voltage meter.?

I'm not sure what level your Volume switch is set at..but make sure to lower it..

It looks like a lot of wires are hooked up to that board..
I'm not sure of what else it does..

You don't want to unhook something else that's needed..
It's hard when you can't see this stuff in person..

If I made any mistakes Tech guys please straighten my ass out...
I don't want to steer this member in the wrong direction..

Last edited:

Furrikain

New Challenger
i don't have a diagram of my cab's setup, but i already took a look using a diagram of an MVS connector i got from hardmvs (made a bit more sense to me) and it looks like it's the same. I'm pretty sure i already located the speaker wires and assumed i located the ground pins as well, but now that you posted this you've got me doubting.

Fact is though that the outer right pin has 3 wires soldered onto it (including one that's bigger than the other wires) so i'm assuming this is indeed the ground and would make sense since the location is the same as the ground location displayed on the hardmvs diagram.

The plan is to indeed entirely bypass the other pcb and i'll make sure to lower the sound volume on the mvs board before testing.

Thanks a lot for you help chris1, i think i'll be able to do it now :D

I'm assuming the worst thing that could happen is blowing my two speakers? If that is the only thing that can go wrong, i'm not worried at all, it wouldn't cost much to replace two el cheapo 4 watt speakers ;)

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, i pity the fool that doesn't come here for mvs tech support :mr_t: :tickled:

EDIT: forgot to ask: is it OK to solder to a ground that already has wires soldered to it? i'm assuming yes, but feel free to remove my doubts ^_^

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Furrikain said:
i don't have a diagram of my cab's setup, but i already took a look using a diagram of an MVS connector i got from hardmvs (made a bit more sense to me) and it looks like it's the same. I'm pretty sure i already located the speaker wires and assumed i located the ground pins as well, but now that you posted this you've got me doubting.

Fact is though that the outer right pin has 3 wires soldered onto it (including one that's bigger than the other wires) so i'm assuming this is indeed the ground and would make sense since the location is the same as the ground location displayed on the hardmvs diagram.

The plan is to indeed entirely bypass the other pcb and i'll make sure to lower the sound volume on the mvs board before testing.

Thanks a lot for you help chris1, i think i'll be able to do it now :D

I'm assuming the worst thing that could happen is blowing my two speakers? If that is the only thing that can go wrong, i'm not worried at all, it wouldn't cost much to replace two el cheapo 4 watt speakers ;)

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, i pity the fool that doesn't come here for mvs tech support :mr_t: :tickled:

EDIT: forgot to ask: is it OK to solder to a ground that already has wires soldered to it? i'm assuming yes, but feel free to remove my doubts ^_^

The first thing I would do is to take the small harnesses off that Sound board and see if you cab turns on..

The reason..
Is that board somehow a main component of your cab..
What else is hooked up to that..?
Does other parts like the monitor or power going to your board run through that board.?
Unhooking things may cut power or lessen power to something else.

I would set-up one speaker just taping the wires up..

Ok..looking at the pics again..

Take off plugs one and two that go to the speakers.

Find out what wires are coming out of plug C from the board for sound from pins L & 10 and cut them off that harness..Don't let them stay conneted to that harness..
You need to break the connection the board has for sound set-up going into the sound board from your motherboard to bypass.

If you have a thick Black Wire in the E/F/27/28 pin locations then just tape a wire from the speaker to that for a ground.

I just want you to try one at a time..You may have to raise the volume on the board to get any sound..
What Ohms are your speakers..?

I don't think you'll pop the speakers..I don't want to pop the Sound chip so try one at a time.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,

Yes..that's the plan..

But not I'm not sure what else that bigger harness is for..
If your cab runs with it off then your ok..

Otherwise I'd cut the two speakers wires going into harness C and wire them each speaker from plug 1 and 2.

Then two wires going to the thick ground from each speaker..

I'm going to be sick if anything goes wrong so please be carefully..I've never seen anything like what's in your cab..

Furrikain

New Challenger
chris1 said:
Otherwise I'd cut the two speakers wires going into harness C and wire them each speaker from plug 1 and 2.

Then two wires going to the thick ground from each speaker..

[/B]

That was my intention in the first place, i'm not gonna mess with the other connectors, just the 2 for the speakers.

I don't think a whole lot can go wrong this way.

And even if it does, it'd suck bigtime but i only payed 75$ for the cab, 2 slot board, puzzle bobble and pop n bounce in the first place, so money-wise it won't be like i'm destroying something expensive. If i payed more, i wouldn't even be touching it myself ;)

Thanks again for the reply :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Furrikain said:
That was my intention in the first place, i'm not gonna mess with the other connectors, just the 2 for the speakers.

I don't think a whole lot can go wrong this way.

And even if it does, it'd suck bigtime but i only payed 75$ for the cab, 2 slot board, puzzle bobble and pop n bounce in the first place, so money-wise it won't be like i'm destroying something expensive. If i payed more, i wouldn't even be touching it myself ;)

Thanks again for the reply :)

Great!!:)

Try it and let me know what happens..

$75.00 For all that..Holy..

Wow what a score....Congrats!!!

Furrikain

New Challenger
I'll be going to the electronics shop for some soldering stuff and electrical wire sometime next week, i'll make sure to post the outcome in this thread :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Furrikain said:
I'll be going to the electronics shop for some soldering stuff and electrical wire sometime next week, i'll make sure to post the outcome in this thread :)

Great..
Good Luck..

I'm looking forward to hearing the good news.