1-Slot to 6-Slot conversion?

AllFamGEO

n00b
I am new to this, so please bare with me. I have just bought a Neo Geo on ebay and it has an MV-1F pcb. As I am starting to build a library of games, and am already getting tired of switching carts, I want to upgrade to a multislot pcb. I'd like to go all out and upgrade to a 6-slot. My question is, what are the requirements? Is this possible? From my reading at HardMVS, I believe I'd have to make a JAMMA-MVS converter. Is there anything else that would have to be done?

Also, I'm a little confused about something. I read that JAMMA utilizes only 3 buttons while MVS utilizes 4. I was under the impression that my system was JAMMA, yet theres 4 buttons and they're all used when I play Art of Fighting.

Any help would be most appreciated! Thnx.

-AFG

The JAMMA spec officially calls for three buttons at specific locations on the edge connector, but there are six unconnnected (or Optional) buttons for other uses, like the cart select switch (which you'll need for a six-slot in your 4-slot cab) and button 4.

There's a pinout here where you can see the not-connected pins.

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
I'm actually converting a 1 slot dedicated Neo Geo to a 4 slot.

The standard JAMA harness should be mostly fine. The main things you'll need to be concerned with are:

- switching the test button from pin 15 to pin M
- wiring in a select button
- switching the audio from JAMMA mono to MVS stereo

Briggs HardMVS site does a pretty nice job summarizing the differences. He even has a nice cheat sheet:

http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

AllFamGEO

n00b
Cool, sounds good. About the mono-to-stereo swap, though, I only have one speaker. Doesn't stereo require 2 speakers?

-AFG

Doesn't stereo require 2 speakers?
Wow, if ever there was a newb litmus test this question would be it. Quick man, scrub your post or your reputation will forever be tarnished!

Last edited: