PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo, why I hate it

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 04:06 PM
So, I wrote to Nintendo. Asking them why they couldn't lend a hand to SNKP in publishing Metal Slug Advance, here's the answer I got. You won't believe it.

Hi Armando,

I believe that SNK declared for bankruptcy a few years back, so it may
be hard for them to get back to the level of developer they were a
decade or so ago. They made some of the greatest games ever made for the
NES, but it's been nearly 15 years since they made a game for us.

Now, we like to work with young, start-up companies when it comes to
making games, but I don't believe we simply purchase struggling companies
just for the sake of doing so (unlike other companies that will remain
unnamed). Hopefully SNK will be back in some form, so stay
tuned........

Nintendo of America Inc.
Stephen Scott

I just wanted to share with you guys. And change it to Genral Forums if it's a thread not considered "News and Rumors"

jethrek
04-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Personally, I'm alright with Nintnedo allowing SNK to get it done on their own. I mean, there's a LOT fo games in development for the GBA, and I'd rather Nintendo focused on making more of their own GBA games, rather than helping SNK do theres.

Evil Wasabi
04-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Not an unexpected answer really. I don't fault people that don't know SNK is still alive. And really they HAVEN'T made a game for them for 15 years so they really have no reason to care. Plus it looks like one guy wrote up that answer since its not a form letter.

NOA really knows about as much of the true workings of NCL as SNK of American knows about SNKP.

SNKJorge
04-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Metal Slug Advance got canned?

Originally posted by jeff bogard
So, I wrote to Nintendo. Asking them why they couldn't lend a hand to SNKP in publishing Metal Slug Advance, here's the answer I got. You won't believe it.

I just wanted to share with you guys. And change it to Genral Forums if it's a thread not considered "News and Rumors"

ClassicMode1985
04-03-2004, 04:14 PM
What a fucking retard:very_ang: People like this, is the main reason WHY I wanna burn mainstream to the ground...wash it all away...and flush it down...see you down in Arizona Bay...learn to swim Nintendo...

Dallas_Five
04-03-2004, 04:14 PM
the level of ignorance IS kinda funny. If you work for a videogame company you should have at least somewhat of a fucking clue about the industry (unless you're a janitor or something)...

shirt
04-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Nintendo has always came in a close second to SNKP for fucked up marketing decisions...

galfordo
04-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by xtoo_short20x
Metal Slug Advance got canned?

That's what I was wondering. Anybody know what's gonna happen with this game?

jethrek
04-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Dallas_Five
the level of ignorance IS kinda funny. If you work for a videogame company you should have at least somewhat of a fucking clue about the industry (unless you're a janitor or something)...

Actually, if you take off the "SNK fanboy" glasses for a moment you'll realize the statements are pretty accurate.

SNK's day of really supporting Nintendo goes back to the NES. On the SNES, they didn't publish so many, as they were concerned with the Neo Geo at that point.

SNK did go bankrupt, and is still rebuilding their programming talent.

Nintendo is letting SNKP worry about their title. Why would you want otherwise? Are you asking Microsoft to "help" with KOF2002? Hell, SCEA actively cancels SNK games in America, yet there's Nintendo hate here?

What a load of steaming horseshit. :rolleyes:

Nintendo has always came in a close second to SNKP for fucked up marketing decisions...

This isn't a marketing decision whatsoever. Nnitendo ISN'T jumping in to help publish a game that...

a) their help hasn't been requested on.

b) is being produced by a company that has had no other recent Nintendo titles, and isn't likely to sell many systems.

Why should Nintendo be jumping in for SNK? Is SNK offering to make all their titles GBA/GC exclusives? :loco:

galfordo
04-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I'll have to agree here. As much as I love the Neo, it's not Nintendo's duty to give SNKP handouts.

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanx for the opinions guys. I didn't know how to approach it. Come to think of it. You guys are right, other people published the neo geo games on the snes.

Dallas_Five
04-03-2004, 04:32 PM
How the fuck am i a "fanboy"? What i got out of that email was that Stephen Scott DIDN'T KNOW SNKP EVEN EXISTS. "Hopefully SNK will be back in some form"? Yah, really fucking accurate...

ClassicMode1985
04-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by galfordo
I'll have to agree here. As much as I love the Neo, it's not Nintendo's duty to give SNKP handouts.

True, now re-reading it, you can see Nintendo means well, but using SNK as some dinosaur reference is what ticks me off.

Takara was to thank for the SNES and GBY SNK ports

galfordo
04-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ClassicMode1985
True, now re-reading it, you can see Nintendo means well, but using SNK as some dinosaur reference is what ticks me off.

Yeah, the condescending tone is a little annoying. After all, the big N has had plenty of problems of its own lately.

Takara was to thank for the SNES and GBY SNK ports

Thanks a lot Takara :rolleyes:. Buying your port of Fatal Fury as a child with my hard-earned cash left a taste in my mouth so bitter that I didn't buy another SNK port for 12 years :D.

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Was he referring to Rare here?:

but I don't believe we simply purchase struggling companies

kernow
04-03-2004, 04:47 PM
no, please don't say MSA/CM won't make it out. :(

I've been waiting for years

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 04:48 PM

but I don't believe we simply purchase struggling companies just for the sake of doing so (unlike other companies that will remain
unnamed).

jethrek
04-03-2004, 04:52 PM

Probably.

Though at this point I firmly believe the only reason MS bought Rare was to cancel Perfect Dark 2.

slerch666
04-03-2004, 04:55 PM
I think he was just biting at Microsoft and their "if they have a good game (or history) BUY THEM!" tactics. Bungie, Rare...

As far as I am concerned, Nintendo not helping make MS Advance is fine. I mean, do you really expect them to help EVERY company that comes down the line make a game or 2? No. They'd never get their OWN shit done. Now, if SNK-P ASKED them for help and they turned them down, well that's a little different. We have no indication of that having happened, however.

And SCEA cancelling what, FOUR+ of SNK-Ps games pisses me off more than Nintendo not helping SNK-P make ONE game. The only thing MS has going for themselves, IMO, is that they don't give a fuck what's on their system, as long as people are making games for it. I think it goes back to being in the rotating number 2 and 3 position.

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Isn't that the same way the PSX was originally. I belive sony didn't care much about it's games up until final fantasy VII and Resident Evil 2.

ClassicMode1985
04-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, the condescending tone is a little annoying. After all, the big N has had plenty of problems of its own lately.

[b]

Thanks a lot Takara :rolleyes:. Buying your port of Fatal Fury as a child with my hard-earned cash left a taste in my mouth so bitter that I didn't buy another SNK port for 12 years :D.

hehe that rocks, thank you Takara for lying to me...because as soon as I saw the REAL Samurai Shodown..I nearly wanted to cuss Takara out :D

Thereverend
04-03-2004, 05:45 PM
I'll use this letter when somebody says OH SNK Should support nintendo.

Lets not forget FF SP on the SNES that was an Awesome port

and World Heroes 2

Takara got their shit together for those games.

jeff bogard
04-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I have a mag. that says FF SP was going to be published by Playmates, but eventually Takara published it. Anybody know about any involvement of Playmates with neo geo?

galfordo
04-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Thereverend
Lets not forget FF SP on the SNES that was an Awesome port

and World Heroes 2

I never played FF special for the SNES - I'll have to check that out.

As for World Heroes ports ..... well, I don't even like the Neo Geo versions of those games, so I think I'll steer clear of the SNES ports.

KagerouSama
04-03-2004, 08:30 PM
As for World Heroes ports ..... well, I don't even like the Neo Geo versions of those games, so I think I'll steer clear of the SNES ports.

They're interesting at best, Galfordo. But at least they're playable. Preferable to say, Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle and perhaps being stuck in a service elevator with Shamu, Ronald McDonald, and Richard Simmons.

As far as Takara goes, having read around....Hasbro has bought out their toy line, and Atlus seems to be holding their game company. So, if we were to ever see a port of the SNES Fatal Fury Special to the GBA, it'd be more likely to come from Atlus. (Or so I'd guess.)

Nice topic, but no real reason to hate nintendo other than the letter's author's ignorance.

--KagerouSama

Kazuki Dash
04-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Yeah, the condescending tone is a little annoying.

just remember, when someone reaches to give you a condescending pat on the head, remind them that it is a customary tradition to reciprocate with a kick to the balls...

f**king companies with their high-horse attitudes...
:rolleyes:

Dojang Jon
04-03-2004, 10:15 PM
is this a new MS or a port of the first one. Anyway a port of MS would have be a pretty damn cool portable game.

jethrek
04-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Dojang Jon
is this a new MS or a port of the first one. Anyway a port of MS would have be a pretty damn cool portable game.

From what I've heard it sounds liek a new MS, but maybe it's just a rehash with new elements.

MistressDragon
04-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Well at least he took the time to reply to you instead of sending out a letter that is sent to everyone and doesn't answer your question. And yeah, it's been 15 years..so I think they stopped caring.

finngamer
04-05-2004, 06:40 AM
is this a new MS or a port of the first one.

It's a totally new game. Should be out summer in Japan and fall in America. I don't know much specifics, but in addition to classic Sluggage, it should feature collecting stat-enhancing cards. Propably like speed, autofire etc.

But I really don't understand this thread. Why on earth should Nintendo help in the production? Why was it necessary to ask NOA about this?

Verythrax
04-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Bah. NOA it's only a pale shadow of Nintendo Co. NOA guys knows nothing.

Ask to Nintendo of Japan for REAL answers.

Thereverend
04-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by MistressDragon
Well at least he took the time to reply to you instead of sending out a letter that is sent to everyone and doesn't answer your question. And yeah, it's been 15 years..so I think they stopped caring.

Sorta like ben Harmen taking time on a sunday to inform you there are no plans to port Cool Cool toon for anything.

Things like that do show that they care about the fans (Nintendo and SNK Neo Geo USA)

Tehcno
04-05-2004, 11:57 AM
I never played FF special for the SNES - I'll have to check that out.

I used to love the World Heroes games but after I bought them for my AES I realized how much they suck.

As far as Metal Slug goes from what I know the project was not canned it was just pushed back like all of the Neo ports on the newer systems if I remeber correctly its Mid August that it is comming out.

Syxx573
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
<3 World Heroes

Second, I don't blame him for not knowing that SNK still exists... they only come out with a handful of games a year.

dbarrett0928
04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
So, i guess this is saying metal slug advance will not5 be released on gba?

finngamer
04-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by dbarrett0928
So, i guess this is saying metal slug advance will not5 be released on gba?

No, it doesn't. I don't know what's going on. Certainly it wasn't in any "Nintendo-needed" trouble.

Mushiki
04-07-2004, 01:49 AM
This thread is so funny, shows how much people hate Sony "just because".

When SCEA decides to cancel a SNK game, everyone whines, screams, shouts, insults and cries amazingly, but when Nintendo does, people start getting off the "SNK fanboy mode" and accepting/understaning the companies' decision.

Really amazing.

Evil Wasabi
04-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Mushiki

When SCEA decides to cancel a SNK game, everyone whines, screams, shouts, insults and cries amazingly, but when Nintendo does, people start getting off the "SNK fanboy mode" and accepting/understaning the companies' decision.

Really amazing.

I have nothing against Sony for these reason, I despise Sony for the shit quality of their electronics. If its not super high end its not worth the money.

Though the games side of things I see them beginning to make the same mistakes that Nintendo did. They're pissing off 3rd party devs. So once the console gap isn't so huge (likely next gen) I see a lot of devs jumping ship just like the exodus to Sony during the PSX/N64 years.

Mushiki
04-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by lithy
Though the games side of things I see them beginning to make the same mistakes that Nintendo did. They're pissing off 3rd party devs. So once the console gap isn't so huge (likely next gen) I see a lot of devs jumping ship just like the exodus to Sony during the PSX/N64 years.

Once more, not Sony, but SCEA.

Evil Wasabi
04-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Once more, not Sony, but SCEA.

Not entirely, even something as subtle as a hard as balls to develop for machine has made developers mad but they have to deal with it in order to reach some 30 million more customers.

Mushiki
04-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by lithy
Not entirely, even something as subtle as a hard as balls to develop for machine has made developers mad but they have to deal with it in order to reach some 30 million more customers.

A game selling 30 Million copies is something amazing, not easy to achieve.

Evil Wasabi
04-07-2004, 02:26 AM
A game selling 30 Million copies is something amazing, not easy to achieve.

That's not the point. Say you have a game on PS2 the whole audience is (I'm making numbers up at this point I haven't paid much attention to sales for quite some time) 30 million people. if you sell a 100,000 copies (enough to qualify for a PS2 greatest hits release) that's just a small fraction of the total userbase, but say you had the same game on the GameCube of maybe 5 million with GameCube's, 100,000 is a much larger percentage, and actually Nintendo's Player's Choice releases require a game sells 1 million copies which would be much much harder to accomplish.

galfordo
04-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Really amazing.

This is a very loose analogy you're making here. Sony outright cancelled SNK games for their system, whereas Nintendo is simply not willing to pay for development of a 3rd party game. Totally different scenario.

jethrek
04-10-2004, 11:17 AM

Really amazing.

God, you're a fanboy.

Nintendo HASN'T cancelled any game.

Thank you for proving you are a MORON.

finngamer
04-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by jethrek
God, you're a fanboy.

Nintendo HASN'T cancelled any game.

Thank you for proving you are a MORON.

Exactly.

FormlessOne
04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by jethrek
Probably.

Though at this point I firmly believe the only reason MS bought Rare was to cancel Perfect Dark 2.

I laughed out loud at that because I wasn't aware.

OrochiEddie
04-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Nintendo like any company is in it for the money and if they feel that SNK cant give them profit then they wont risk it. Simply as that.

galfordo
04-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by OrochiEddie
Nintendo like any company is in it for the money and if they feel that SNK cant give them profit then they wont risk it. Simply as that.

It's not Nintendo's job to pay for third partys' games - people shouldn't expect that.

Thereverend
04-10-2004, 10:50 PM
It's not Nintendo's job to pay for third partys' games - people shouldn't expect that.

Although I hear 3rd Parties have to pay out their ass to develop for Nintendo. More than for Sony or Microsoft (of cose that doesn't mean sony will let game X come out)

galfordo
04-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Although I hear 3rd Parties have to pay out their ass to develop for Nintendo. More than for Sony or Microsoft (of cose that doesn't mean sony will let game X come out)

Well, that may be true. My point was that Nintendo is just doing what they've always done - they're not targeting SNK or hampering their ability to produce a game. The same certainly cannot be said for Sony, although M$ thankfully seems to be coming around with a vengence :).

Thereverend
04-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Well, that may be true. My point was that Nintendo is just doing what they've always done - they're not targeting SNK or hampering their ability to produce a game. The same certainly cannot be said for Sony, although M$ thankfully seems to be coming around with a vengence :).

What does M$ have to lose? Nothing they can take away a huge share away from Sony putting games on XBOX sony deems unprofitable.

Plus SNK games are well suited to the controller S but that's another topic (that I became aware of getting my ass kicked at SVC Choas today at ANIME Boston) but that's another thread for another section and day.

galfordo
04-11-2004, 10:49 AM
What does M$ have to lose?

Well, pretty much the same thing that Sony does. Except the difference is that M$ isn't nearly as self-conscious about the power of their machine, since it's the current leader. But M$ could've very easily been closed-minded about it and said that the games look too dated for their machine, and that it might give the xbox a bad image or some bullshit like that.

Thankfully, they seem to be pretty receptive to SNKP.

Thereverend
04-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, pretty much the same thing that Sony does. Except the difference is that M$ isn't nearly as self-conscious about the power of their machine, since it's the current leader. But M$ could've very easily been closed-minded about it and said that the games look too dated for their machine, and that it might give the xbox a bad image or some bullshit like that.

Thankfully, they seem to be pretty receptive to SNKP.

Maybe they know ho huge the Emu Scene is and know that these games are $$$ in the bank people like mewho are too lazy to mod our XBOXes will sure buy em

snesaes
04-13-2004, 07:11 PM
The way I see it, is that Nintendo is going down fast. They've made way too many poor investments and aside from the GBA, they have nothing anymore in the gaming community. I honestly, can't wait until Nintendo goes down. I could elaborate on my opinion, but I don't think anyone would really be interested.

finngamer
04-14-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by snesaes
The way I see it, is that Nintendo is going down fast. They've made way too many poor investments and aside from the GBA, they have nothing anymore in the gaming community. I honestly, can't wait until Nintendo goes down. I could elaborate on my opinion, but I don't think anyone would really be interested.

Well, as much as it must pain you, Nintendo will NEVER go down. They have a large enough following of die-hards (that will secure ANY console launch, 'cept maybe the DS), but even if it didn't, the GBA (and the successor of GBA) will keep Nintendo fat. And this fact won't be changed by the PSP, because they have different target audiences.

But I'm frankly disturbed by your statement "aside from the GBA, they have nothing anymore in the gaming community". First off, the GBA is one huge "aside". Secondly, only a moron would judge a companys merits IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY by the sales of their console (though they are rapidly rising). Any multi-platform game-critic will tell you that Nintendo makes many of the best games, and houses many of the best exclusive games on their console. With possibly the exception of 2-D fighters. :D

Fygee
04-14-2004, 05:05 AM
You should all thank your lucky stars Nintendo's been around. If it wasn't for them, none of us would've had our precious Neo-Geos, as the video game crash of '83/'84 would've stuck and we'd all be collecting old Atari and Coleco machines. :p

snesaes
04-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by finngamer
Well, as much as it must pain you, Nintendo will NEVER go down. They have a large enough following of die-hards (that will secure ANY console launch, 'cept maybe the DS), but even if it didn't, the GBA (and the successor of GBA) will keep Nintendo fat. And this fact won't be changed by the PSP, because they have different target audiences.

But I'm frankly disturbed by your statement "aside from the GBA, they have nothing anymore in the gaming community". First off, the GBA is one huge "aside". Secondly, only a moron would judge a companys merits IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY by the sales of their console (though they are rapidly rising). Any multi-platform game-critic will tell you that Nintendo makes many of the best games, and houses many of the best exclusive games on their console. With possibly the exception of 2-D fighters. :D

You consider N64's launch was "secure"? Out of the 3 Next-Gen systems, Nintendo's in 3rd place. One of the main reasons being that it takes them 6-months to release a game worth buying. Gamecube went down to $100 when PS2 and X-Box were still in the $200-250 range. That's not doing so well. The only reason Nintendo "houses" many of the best exclusive games is because those are the only games they have since most 3rd party companies disregard Gamecube. It's gonna be a bad idea for Nintendo to release their next system. Especially if they do it before Playstation and X-box's next system. Sorry to break it to you,but in 2-3 years, Nintendo will be going the way Sega did. Which is sad to say, but it can easily happen. It's more likely to happen than Nintendo coming out in 1st against Sony and Microsoft. Hopefully Capcom will join them.

galfordo
04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Fygee
You should all thank your lucky stars Nintendo's been around. If it wasn't for them, none of us would've had our precious Neo-Geos, as the video game crash of '83/'84 would've stuck and we'd all be collecting old Atari and Coleco machines. :p

I agree - I think Nintendo has been very important to the industry over the years, and continues to be. I think that their games are really the only original next-gen titles out there.

As for Nintendo's future - I don't know. It could easily go either way.

SouthtownKid
04-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by finngamer
Well, as much as it must pain you, Nintendo will NEVER go down. They have a large enough following of die-hards (that will secure ANY console launch, 'cept maybe the DS), ... Man, I guess it's been a few years already, but it feels like only yesterday I was saying the exact same thing about Sega... Well, I hope you're right about Nintendo. Keep hope alive.

galfordo
04-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SouthtownKid
Man, I guess it's been a few years already, but it feels like only yesterday I was saying the exact same thing about Sega... Well, I hope you're right about Nintendo. Keep hope alive.

Yeah, I try to stay hopeful too - cuz I love the old big N. But with heartless, evil, deep-pocketed mass-market trash like Sony and M$ out there, you never know what'll happen.

Bluevoodu
04-14-2004, 11:19 PM
I am loving the cube... I have tons cube games..
I cannot get enough of the system. Its not perfect, but it has great gaming goodness. All my friends switched to Xbox's and ps2's.... but they still all come over to get the Mplayer madness the cube has to offer.

There is no comparison... and it cannot be matched.

Don't forget, Nintendo is making more profit than anyone else (basically) EVEN after they didn't meet their profit expecations.. they are MASSIVELY profitable.

They are the #1 software producer in Japan, # 2 in the US...
So what if their system is in #3?
Xbox isn't ahead by much.... and they only thing that keeps the Xbox ahead are the mods and hacks you can really do with it. People want th Xbox to be a cheap PC machine and hold hundreds of roms on the 250 gig hard drive..e.tc..etc..etc..

I think its funny... Nintendo has great stuff out right now.... you all need to go play and quit thinking about how they are in third place. Want them to be 1st again? buy Nintendo :)

Personally... Nintendo is the only company left (IMO) with decent quality software. yeah.... other systems get their good games too.... but for overall fun.... its the Gamecube.

I am not just a Nintendo fan... I do have extensive play into all 3 systems... and I do like other system's games.
There are good things about the Xbox and Ps2 as well.... don't get me wrong..... but IMO you cannot go wrong with the cube.

If I can find way over 50 games to have in my collection... you all should be able to find minimal 20. The average person has 14 games in the collection.... SO thats 6 games over the average person...

Enjoy the games... thats what is it about :)
And yes.. without Nintendo ... Neo Geo would never had made it.. and the market wouldn't be what it is today.

BTW... EVERYONE... IF YOU WANT SNK GAMES ON THE GAMECUBE:
write SNKneogeousa Consumer corp.... and tell them you want the Metal Slugs on the Gamecube... tell them you want the KOF's and other Neo Games on the gamecube.

If they see the demand... they will make it.. and I know this for sure. You all know how to contact them :)

BV

finngamer
04-15-2004, 12:14 AM
You consider N64's launch was "secure"? Out of the 3 Next-Gen systems, Nintendo's in 3rd place. One of the main reasons being that it takes them 6-months to release a game worth buying. Gamecube went down to $100 when PS2 and X-Box were still in the $200-250 range. That's not doing so well. The only reason Nintendo "houses" many of the best exclusive games is because those are the only games they have since most 3rd party companies disregard Gamecube. It's gonna be a bad idea for Nintendo to release their next system. Especially if they do it before Playstation and X-box's next system. Sorry to break it to you,but in 2-3 years, Nintendo will be going the way Sega did. Which is sad to say, but it can easily happen. It's more likely to happen than Nintendo coming out in 1st against Sony and Microsoft. Hopefully Capcom will join them.

Yes, I do consider N64 a succesful (enough) console. After all, it sold more than Saturn and Dreamcast put together. Compared to Playstation, it was pitiful, but at least Nintendo survived. AND in the meantime innovated many features that are a staple in modern videogaming. Like analogue control, controller vibration... Along with numerous software patents, like Mario 64's 3D camera (without which many of today's 3rd person games simply wouldn't exist).

Oh, and Cube is second in the worldwide console sales. That's why XBox is running scared and has had it's price cut in the states. But you simply can't compare the consoles' prices. With PS2's 200 price tag, Sony breaks even. With Cube's 99 price tag, Nintendo gives a little from their own pocket. But with the XBox's 150 price tag, Microsoft loses, on average, 200 $ per console sold. It's a very expensive piece of machinery, and people simply aren't buying it at the price of manufacturing. THAT's not doing so well.

In the immediate future, I can't really see Nintendo coming first over Sony, but it won't die either.

But you really should stop saying things like "I can't wait till Nintendo goes down" etc. It's every gameplayers duty to wish well to Nintendo. (Oh, and in case you're wondering, I do own The Xbox and PS2, as well as the Cube)

jethrek
04-15-2004, 01:37 AM

Nintendo's quickly rising to 3rd in the US, and IS second worldwide. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, the N64 sold quite a few units, it just never took #1.

Sega jumping out of the console industry took a chunk out of innovation for it. If Nintendo falls out there will be no innovation left.

snesaes
04-15-2004, 03:14 PM
I stiill don't see how Nintendo is expecting to support Gamecube's successor, GBA, and their little DS system all at the same time. They'll probably just ditch GBA since it's just SNES part 2, which I think is the best thing about it. Just think where Nintendo could be if they would of went with Sony. That would of been the best system ever. Personally, I don't think Nintendo has what it takes anymore and they just need to accept it. The sole reason I bought my Gamecube was for Super Smash Bros: Melee. I regret buying it since the only other games I have for it are RE, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime. When a company pays out of their own pocket on a system, meaning that they basically are giving you money to buy their product, that doesn't bode too well for Nintendo.

Bluevoodu
04-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Nintendo is very profitable.. and they are still making money on their systems after the price drop.

Just think where Nintendo could be if they would of went with Sony. That would of been the best system ever. Personally, I don't think Nintendo has what it takes anymore and they just need to accept it. The sole reason I bought my Gamecube was for Super Smash Bros: Melee. I regret buying it since the only other games I have for it are RE, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime.

I ( for 1) am glad Nintendo didn't go the path of Sony.
At least Nintendo kept their uniqueness.

If you only find 4-5 games to play on the cube... there is something wrong. There has to be AT LEAST 20.

and I go back to my point... IF you want SNK games on the Gamecube.... TELL SNK NEo GEo USA CONSUMER CORP ABOUT IT.

and the cube aside.. the GBA market is massive. And Massive is an understatement.

I do not think they will have a problem with the DS, GBA, and cube at all.

BV

jethrek
04-15-2004, 07:18 PM
When a company pays out of their own pocket on a system, meaning that they basically are giving you money to buy their product, that doesn't bode too well for Nintendo.

you just described X-Box, not GCN. Nintendo breaks even on their system. :oh_no:

galfordo
04-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bluevoodu
and the cube aside.. the GBA market is massive. And Massive is an understatement.

Yep. People don't realize how enormous the GBA market is - even if the cube was doing lousy profit wise (which it isn't), Nintendo could still eat some pretty substantial losses without going under.

The big N isn't gonna die with a dominant portable like the GBA.

Dojang Jon
04-16-2004, 12:41 AM
I'd say /nintendo's biggest weakness is little software variety. Deep down I'm an RPG (videogame not the paper stuff) phile andthe Cube simply doesn't have anything on par with final fantasy. Plus they're weird...like no DVD reader and the extra small disc (do they WANT to have less storage per disc?). On the other hand the Mario BRos kick butt (please make a Super Mario Bros. 4 sometime in 2d)

KagerouSama
04-16-2004, 01:16 AM
If you truly want all the goodness of a GameCube, along with all the rightness of a DVD player, you could always import a Panasonic iQue.

If you want Nintendo RPGs, your only real options are Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Phantasy Star Online.

Mario Bros 4? Wouldn't it be 5? Seeing that Super Mario World would have been four. Five if you include the original Super Mario Brothers for Super players as the original Super Mario 2, and Super Mario 2 as Super Mario USA.

Mario Brothers
Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario Brothers for Super Players
Super Mario USA/2
Super Mario Brothers 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island/Super Mario World 2

Nah, I suppose the next 2d Super Mario would be about nine or ten.

:eye: :eye: Here I am posting when I've already promised myself I'd go to bed...
G'night,
--KagerouSama

roninbuddha
04-16-2004, 04:41 AM
this thread = wow, and all the while i thought videogames were just presing some buttons and having some decent fun

finngamer
04-16-2004, 05:32 AM
they're weird...like no DVD reader and the extra small disc (do they WANT to have less storage per disc?)

The lack of a DVD player (or a CD-player, for that matter) contributes to the price. Nintendo can sell the Cube for 99 without much troubles.

The small discs actually cut down loading times. So it's not that big a deal to switch a disc once during Resident Evil, when compared to, say, 2 seconds more waiting at every loading pause. But the main reason for the small discs is anti-piracy. They don't sell this size in the stores, so a pirate would need their own factory. Whereas the PS2 is ABSOLUTELY PLAGUED by piracy.

Which really boils down to the point. Profit-wise, the console race isn't as black and white as "PS2 has outsold the Cube 5 to 1". Because Nintendo makes most of the high selling games themselves, they get to keep all the profits. And since Sony relies on the 3rd parties, they only get a fraction of the profit per game. This, coupled with the fact that there is simply NO piracy on the Cube and tons of on the PS2, makes the profit ratio something like "PS2 makes money over the Cube (only) 2 to 1" Which is pretty well done on Nintendos behalf, when compared to the installed user-base.

And the GBA market is a completely other matter. It is Nintendos licence to print money.

I stiill don't see how Nintendo is expecting to support Gamecube's successor, GBA, and their little DS system all at the same time. They'll probably just ditch GBA since it's just SNES part 2, which I think is the best thing about it. Just think where Nintendo could be if they would of went with Sony. That would of been the best system ever. Personally, I don't think Nintendo has what it takes anymore and they just need to accept it. The sole reason I bought my Gamecube was for Super Smash Bros: Melee. I regret buying it since the only other games I have for it are RE, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime. When a company pays out of their own pocket on a system, meaning that they basically are giving you money to buy their product, that doesn't bode too well for Nintendo.

It is true that the Cube doesn't have many RPGs but that's what the GBA is for. Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 are absolute fantastic, Breath of Fire is a remake, but great. And remakes of FF I and II have just been announced. In the meantime you'll have to make do with FF Tactics Advance. And believe me, Nintendo won't abandon the GBA over the DS. It has tens of millions of users. And I agree, the best feature of GBA is that it continues the SNES legacy.

And about the non-profit selling or negative-profit selling; Like I said, Nintendo takes only a small amount of damage, if any, on Cubes sold whereas the Xbox forces Microsoft to "give money" by the bucketloads. While Microsoft is clearly DESPERATE, Nintendo is just doing smart business. The profits of videogames have always been in the software.

son_of_bael
04-16-2004, 06:53 AM
ok, well first up the N64 was a success (sold 28 million consoles, more than the genesis), it just doesn't seem that great compared with nintendo's past successes (Gamboy 110m, NES 62m, SNES 49m).

Reasons why Nintendo will be around for quite some time:
Nintendo is a VERY cash rich company.
GBA sales just past 20m.
Most software that people want is 1st party (mario etc).
Their IP is worth $$$, which as Marvel found out, is another licence to print money.
Pokemon.

People keep saying that they are going the same way as Sega, but look at the above points and see if any of them apply to Sega, then understand why they are now software only.

Dojang Jon
04-16-2004, 04:08 PM
pokemon..curse that abomnination. What was actually a good portable RPG became filled with cookie-cutter monsters and the franchise cascaded into a kiddy fan service with 59 identical incarnations. For some reason the Japanese kids keep plugging money into it, no longer a fad but a pestilence on society! :very_ang:
h
ok im not too serious here but the N better stop all the pocket-nonsense