Neo Geo MVS Prototype Discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
The more we look into the world of Neo Geo quite frankly the more bizarre things seem to get. Prototypes, once lost suddenly appear. Games that are cancelled find their way into the marketplace as complete games. New art sets are created for games that have already been released. Well, here's one more oddity that I have personally uncovered.

I've been buying bulk Neo Geo items from an outfit in Southern California. Some of you have seen some of their auctions on eBay over the past several months. They've been offering Neo Geo motherboards, graphics sets and miscellaneous other Neo Geo items. According to that company, they bought several pallets worth of stock from the ORIGINAL SNK USA when they closed their doors in the USA a few years ago, on or about the time that SNK pulled the Neo Geo Pocket Color franchise from the US market.

If you may recall, SNK was getting pretty cozy with Sega about the time that the Pocket Color was launched in the USA. The Pocket Color itself had a genuine Sega title, Sonic the Hedgehog. The Pocket Color was also linkable to the Dreamcast. Well, it appears that SNK was in the middle of porting over one of Sega's finest fighting games over to the Neo Geo MVS system. I guess the plug got pulled before any of this made it to press.

Like I was saying, I purchased a bulk quantity of MVS loose carts from the California Company. Most were dreadful commons; most did not work at all. But one caught my eye as I was digging through the boxes. At first I thought it was Bang Bead. I could make out one word on the loosely affixed label. Virtua. It was followed by some Japanese text.

I hastily popped the cart into my system. It did not boot. I cleaned the cartridge and the game powered on. To my amazement, the game was Virtua Fighter 2. It looks like the Sega Genesis version except that the game is lighting fast suffering none of the slowdown of the Genesis version.

Me thinks that this may indeed be a rare item. I have included pictures to prove my find. Please do not ask me to dump the ROMs. I cannot in good conscious do such a thing. Besides, I do not want to break the seal that was apparently placed on the cart by Sega!

vfng1.jpg

vfng2.jpg

vfng3.jpg

Source

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Hooray for teh spam.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Checks calendar... goes back to sleep.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Daklighterx said:
Is it 4/01/2004 already?:mr_t:

yeah, that was too obvious

edit: good stuff though

kudos

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
And with your AES->NGPC adaptor, and the Phantom1, I will have a portable colossus that can play this great fighter on-the-go!

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Hahaha, you actually had me going until you had the photochopped with the TV. Nice work Tip :tickled:

aria

Former Moderator
STUCK!

This needs to remain at the top of the forum.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
i miss the old egm

;)

you had me going there!
very fun stuff.

:mad:

thanks for making my heart beat faster,
i need that from time to time.

Billy

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Having just read a run-down of April fools jokes in danish newspapers, this didn't exactly do it for me ;)

Curt

apostate
Good stuff tiptonium.

I was really excited, SEGA On the NEO!

Too much for a sega fanboy to handle.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Hehe good one Tip, just like last year's NGPC > Gba Mod, loved that one too.

Robert

20 Year Member
April 1st is still a good time. You can see how guys are creative. You should create a topic for the best april fool in the creative section.

Status
Not open for further replies.