Neo Geo Gold Arcade machine Ground Wire/Other Questions-Update.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I brought my Neo Geo Gold Arcade machine home today.
When I opened up the back I see a Green Ground wire hanging near the monitor chassis that has a very wide arch where a screw would hold it.

It reaches the side of the monitor chassis but there isn't any loose screws that it could of came off.
I traced it and the other end goes to a post on the isolation transformer..
This wire has been off when I got the cab(working)..but I want to put it back to where it's supposed to be.
Where does it go..?
Should I just fasten it to the Monitor chassis..?:help:

ZGOLD.jpg

The manual for this particular cab was inside it(plus 26 quarters,Woo Woo!!)
The manual doesn't say anything about this wire that I can see.:(

Bringing this in..I hurt my back..Man,I'm hurting..I can't do anything major to it today.....
I still have to get the lil MK cabaret Arcade machine in here.(this week)
But,not today..

My back stairs are made retarded..they are to big with a large ridge at the ends that makes getting a wheel cart up them a real pain..
That's how I messed myself up today..I should be alright by tomorrow though..

It needs cosmetic work,a nice lil Project for me..
I'm changing a lot of things on this machine since I have most of the parts to do it...a total restoration as time allows.

Putting in all new buttons/sticks/the lower coin door..Marquee lights..though the MV-ELD LCD Panel was unplugged and I haven't turned on the cab today...(I have spares)

It has it's original Power supply in it but it's been bypassed..and the cab has been wired up to another..Basic type power supply..
The same way my Big Red was when I got it.
The funny thing is this cab has the same Company sticker on the back of it from Fremont C.A. that my Big Red has on it.
Luckily I have two spare/original power supplies..Thank goodness I buy these when I see them pop up on Ebay.

The wires in the cab haven't been cut so all I have to do is plug in(adjust voltage) the replacement power supply.

I want to check out the original power supply..It's pretty clean..
maybe just a fuse blew out and they never opened it to check.

Last edited:

Arcade 14

Overtop Pathfinder
the ground wire is only so the the monitor chasis cant get a charge. like how the coin door is grounded so it doesnt get a charge so it wont shock you if you touch it. You can connect to anywhere to the monitor chasis, doesnt really matter, but personally i wouldnt worry about the wire not gonna hurt anything

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Arcade 14 said:
the ground wire is only so the the monitor chasis cant get a charge. like how the coin door is grounded so it doesnt get a charge so it wont shock you if you touch it. You can connect to anywhere to the monitor chasis, doesnt really matter, but personally i wouldnt worry about the wire not gonna hurt anything

Thank you so much...

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
I've also heard that sometimes ground wires (like the one to your monitor) are puposely disconnected for various reasons, like the ground causing a problem with the picture.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
SuperGunGuru said:
I've also heard that sometimes ground wires (like the one to your monitor) are puposely disconnected for various reasons, like the ground causing a problem with the picture.

Hmmm..
That may answer why I can't find a screw loose for it..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Well,I attached the ground wire to the chassis and everything is ok..
I put in the replacement Power Supply and the cab fired right up with "sound":multi_co: Sweet!!
I was very surprised on how loud these gold cabs are...
And how big they are compared to a big Red..

When I bought this cab the sound was out and the seller had no idea why.

I narrowed to it most likely being the power supply that was in it,before I put in an original..(bad 12V)
Though I haven't tested the 12V on the old PS yet.

But then tonight I popped in the two games it came with to see if it was a game problem causing no sound..

Fatal Fury and Bust A Move..

Bust A Move is an EPROM version/boot,different from my other BAM cart.
With this cart in I get NO sound at all..Bust A Move in the second slot.
I haven't cleaned the Bust A Move carts prongs yet so that may be the problem..((((otherwise it's a bad cart causing no sound..

Yes..?

I have Samurai Shodown III & Metal Slug 2 in it now running fine.

The sweet thing about this two slot board is it has the On Board Memory Slot..MV-2F PCB
I can just leave a memory card inserted and be able to save..

Zeo_071.jpg

Do the Neo Gold Machines come with the MV-2F PCB ..standard..?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Arcade 14 said:

That's right.

Chris1, I have the same exact cab. We can maybe share tips
we learn along the way?

I have put some work into mine.

One thing I noticed, is that the control panel will be a bitch
to find (Gold color)...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xtoo_short20x said:
That's right.

Chris1, I have the same exact cab. We can maybe share tips
we learn along the way?

I have put some work into mine.

One thing I noticed, is that the control panel will be a bitch
to find (Gold color)...

Chris1, I have the same exact cab.

Yea,I remember..I was going to PM you..

We can maybe share tips we learn along the way

That'll be great!!Thanks..

One thing I noticed, is that the control panel will be a bitch to find (Gold color)...

Yup,your right..I had bids on one when this cab was in storage and that sucker sold for an incredibly high price.

I hardly ever see them listed on Ebay or sold anywhere..
If I could make a Re-pro of the gold control panel I would for people who need them.

The Gold overlay I have on the cab seems to have a lot of overspray on it/black paint..like someone kept painting the metal control panel front.

The sticks need to be changed and all the buttons..
The buttons are mismatched.

Tomorrow morning I'm gutting the whole control panel..
I need to clean it,paint it/Scrub the overlay/change the sticks and buttons.

The 2 slot gold marquee had black paint overspray on it but cleaned up very well with soap and water..

Does your cab have a On Board Memory Slot..MV-2F PCB..?

SNKJorge

chris1 said:
If these could be made..Would anyone buy one..?

zmn.jpg

Hell yeah.

Originally posted by chris1
Does your cab have a On Board Memory Slot..MV-2F PCB..?

Yes.

Btw, yours seems to have a new monito?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xtoo_short20x said:
Hell yeah.

Yes.

Btw, yours seems to have a new monito?

I'm looking into seeing if someone who had these can make more..

I think I do have a new monitor..
I was cleaning that whole area and took out the glass and noticed the monitor is way to clean for this older machine.

Yesterday I took off the control panel..

I'm going to paint the control panel,Put the old overlay back on(cleaned up) and put some used Supers in it until my new/ordered ones come.

I played the machine for awhile yesterday before I took off the control panel...
It's very different then what I'm used to...The monitor is high.
(In regard to my other cabs)I like it though...

I want to play this machine..I was going to throw on another control panel just so I can play it.
I don't know why when I have the other machines,,
I guess it's just the thrill of having a another machine..and it being a Neo Geo.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

What kind of supers did you get?
Did you get the ones with the black plastic cover or the ones
with the metal cover?

chris1 said:
I'm looking into seeing if someone who had these can make more..

I think I do have a new monitor..
I was cleaning that whole area and took out the glass and noticed the monitor is way to clean for this older machine.

Yesterday I took off the control panel..

I'm going to paint the control panel,Put the old overlay back on(cleaned up) and put some used Supers in it until my new/ordered ones come.

I played the machine for awhile yesterday before I took off the control panel...
It's very different then what I'm used to...The monitor is high.
(In regard to my other cabs)I like it though...

I want to play this machine..I was going to throw on another control panel just so I can play it.
I don't know why when I have the other machines,,
I guess it's just the thrill of having a another machine..and it being a Neo Geo.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xtoo_short20x said:
What kind of supers did you get?
Did you get the ones with the black plastic cover or the ones
with the metal cover?

Metal Cover/shaft..
Since they look like the originals..
http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/super_joy_e.htm

I like the Supers..I'm actually thinking about getting two more now for the Tekken 3.

I have two new Ultimates in that machine and I hate them.

NOTE:
I didn't get them through Happ though.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xtoo_short20x ...or anyone who may want one..

This is the info I got from the seller....

They will be $30.00 each plus shipping.Try one first to make sure it is alright.
These are not the original overlay's. It's from the same source we get the regular ones from. They are 26 mil. in thickness. Not as thick as the originals. Also the gold is not shinny like the originals.

It takes 5-10 days to get them..

I'm going to buy one of these so I can check it out..

Opinions..?

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Good luck with you're cab my friend. Don't you just love new projects.:D

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
I'd definitely be interested in knowing how this turns out. Please post the details and let us know how they look when yours arrives.

chris1 said:
xtoo_short20x ...or anyone who may want one..

This is the info I got from the seller....

They will be $30.00 each plus shipping.Try one first to make sure it is alright.
These are not the original overlay's. It's from the same source we get the regular ones from. They are 26 mil. in thickness. Not as thick as the originals. Also the gold is not shinny like the originals.

It takes 5-10 days to get them..

I'm going to buy one of these so I can check it out..

Opinions..?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
Good luck with you're cab my friend. Don't you just love new projects.:D

Thanks my friend..
Yes,I love new projects and this cab is proving to be a worthwhile one..
I bought some supplies last night to strip and paint the control panel..
Though I haven't had the chance to start on it,the control panel is sitting in a plastic tup until I can get to it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
TheGreenMachine said:
I'd definitely be interested in knowing how this turns out. Please post the details and let us know how they look when yours arrives.

Thanks ..Yes..I'll update the details etc.

The seller gave me a shipping total of $6.00 today for the overlay.

The seller told me today he can get the 2 slot Gold marquee made..& he can get a control panel overlay for a Neo Geo Mini like lill-cs ,but he would need a sample.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
I would be interested in one but mine is in good shape, then agian it would not be bad to have a spare.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
It looks like the one in you're pic chris1 whould he need the dims or the overlay? LMK

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
It looks like the one in you're pic chris1 whould he need the dims or the overlay? LMK

Yea,,I send him that pic..Thanks to you for taking such a great pic.

I'm not sure what he needs..I think he may need the overlay and that's not a possible thing..

He says he needs a sample..
Though,I'm trying to see what I can do to get this made for the community I may not be able to since I don't have this particular overlay.
And I wouldn't send this rare overlay out or even ask anyone too.
Someone may live close to this guy and make it possible.

But,if he needs dims then I need your help lill-c ..

He may be able to do it with close up pics,scans,a pattern...and dims..

I'm going to send him the money tomorrow for the Gold overlay...and report back..plus finding out what he needs for the mini.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just let me know what you need. I could do a CAD dwg of the mini overlay and email it to him or you if thats what it takes so people could have the overlay.:D

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
Just let me know what you need. I could do a CAD dwg of the mini overlay and email it to him or you if thats what it takes so people could have the overlay.:D

Sweet!!

I just emailed him for his address,to send payment for the Gold overlay.
I also asked what the minimum he would need to make he mini overlay..So I'll report back.

This will be great If we could get this stuff made.....:buttrock:

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
cris1 try useing simple green on the overlay to get the paint off from the overspray bit be carefull on the red plastic where the led for the credits are as it will make the red bleed. I usd this when I cleened up the BIG RED and the MINI and it works grate. I even took apart the buttons and took the springs out and soaked them in hot water and simple green for a while and the scrubed them up and put them back together.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
cris1 try useing simple green on the overlay to get the paint off from the overspray bit be carefull on the red plastic where the led for the credits are as it will make the red bleed. I usd this when I cleened up the BIG RED and the MINI and it works grate. I even took apart the buttons and took the springs out and soaked them in hot water and simple green for a while and the scrubed them up and put them back together.

Thank you..

Yea,I srubbed it with soap and water and got all the overspray off.
It's missing tiny spots underneath that I may be able to fix with black and gold paint..
I'm going to use this overlay until I get the other..or a replacement..

I need to totally sand down the Control panel and paint it..I have that all off..
I want to link the two cabs together with league bowling.(Red & Gold)
The candies too far for the cable to (reach)
I don't want to put another control panel on it to do this,for I'd have to wire up all the buttons since all my spare control panels that I could use are bare.

But,I could use a AES Joystick..or Pad..

Since now(today) after selling another item I got for free from the vendor that I bought this Neo Gold cab from..
I made up the $250.00 I paid for it.
Now it's like I got it for free and everything I put into it will be it's true value/my work/time etc..

I kind of wish I had the Control panel finished though..for I have 1 or two friends coming over tonight to see it...It's not too pretty with no control panel on it.:( :D

But they could care less..My one friend only care sfor the new stuff and wants to play Link-up or Co-op HALO...