KOF 2002 PS2 Impressions

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
I don't checked the menus and selection screen, only in-game action.

The backgrounds are real 3D (not like 2001), but it have a lack of more vivid details and colors, although it have the same variations of the original backgrounds (day, night, etc.). The people in it are still 2D.

The music are the same from MVS, don't know if the game have a option to change the music style. Probably not.

The gameplay is intact, but I have to play more to know for sure. I couldn't see the new chars because I'm at work, I will see more when at home.

Sorry if it is old news, or not necessary.

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
kool i posted about info on this tittle in urelated say any ideas if it haslong load times i heard they are kind of long

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Why would KOF 2002 have long load times when 2000 and 2001 didn't have hardly any?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Is that all anyone has to say about the game? Seems kind of anti climactic....

Please give us more info that we haven't known for months.

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
So I come home and play the game:

Backgrounds:

The BGs are in full 3D now. There's a option to change it to NORMAL (3D) and ARCADE (2D).

Korea: The city back there have some life now. There are cars passing by the bridge, the birds are 3D (although they keep flying like flies over a trash can in the middle of the BG), and there's airplanes constantly flying near the great tower. That tower have two elevators going up and down. This BG is the most pretty one at his night version. Maybe SCEA wound't like these airplanes flying too next to the tower...

Japan: Don't have significant changes at all.

China: When the red gates are closed and Bao is at the middle of the BG, the red gates open for a while.

Holland: The windmill are nice, and three ballons are moving in the sky to all directions. There's more grass in the ground too.

Camboja: There's MUCH more trees, and the shrine back there is 3D and bigger than your 2D version. The stones in the ground have better details, since it are 3D now.

Mexico: King is out of this BG, since she's fighting now. The TV screen showing Heidern is a little more nitid image. There's a SNK PLAYMORE logo up in the center of the stage, above the wood bridge. In the night version, the torch in center is more brighter, but still 2D.

Italy: Almost full 3D now, you can see all things below the elevator's floor. There's chains in the left swinging with realistc movements, and all the gears are polygonal made. There's a pathetic camera man too...

SkyNoah - Cockpit: The damaged cockpit of SkyNoah, Rugal's airplane, having monitors and computers all over the place. There's ladders leading to the 2º floor where the windows are broken, making the wind blows strong into the cockpit and making a lot os papers fly quickly to all directions.

SkyNoah - Hangar: Now we know how the chars manage to escape from SkyNoah's self-destruction: the helicopter used by Heidern to escape is here and the door is open making some BG's objects be sucked out of the airplane (boxes, oil drums, cars, and even militar tanks!).

Strange... There's no 3D version of Rugal's stage?

Music: There isn't AST tracks... Only the same from MVS version... :crying:

Extra chars: The same from DC port (Shingo and King), plus Geese, Goenitz and Orochi Iori. You must play the CHALLENGE mode (divided in Team, Single and Time Attack) to unlock them. My friend Kododis unlocked Geese, Goenitz and Orochi Iori in Team Attack, and I unlocked Shingo in Team Attack after beat 18 teams. The artwork of Geese and Goenitz in the Player Select screen is a shame. Someone trying to copy the original artist's style., I guess...

These chars are ripped of from SvC: Chaos directly. No surprise, but even in the original game they're over powered... :oh_no:

Graphics: Not much to say. The special moves have the same effects of the SvC Chaos, but the chars not. I mean, they're "over pixelated"... There's a option called GRAPHIC, where you can choose the SCREEN to TYPE A (normal) or TYPE B (large), but in TYPE B the chars become too pixelated, and the 2D people in BGs even worse, so all of you probably will sticky with the TYPE A mode.

EDIT: The gameplay is intact, and the load times are longer than 2000/2001, but not annoying.

Last edited:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I thought the load times on 2001/2000 were annoying enough... SNKP should be able to do a much better job with load times, just compare their times to those of CvS2. SNKP is either doing a half ass job on their ports or are purposefully trying to steer the hardcore to AES. The one port that I love of SNK's (not a playmore one I don't thing) is the Dreamcast KOF 99 Evolution. This game rules, good load times, sweet effects and extras from the AES/MVS versions. I don't think that playmore has been interested in putting that much work into their ports...

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
Geese's infinite is more easier to do than in SvC Chaos, and there's a strange bug with him.
When you send the opponent flying with a weak Reppuken and hit them still in the air with a Explosive Attack (C+D), the attack don't cause any damage.

Goenitz and Orochi Iori have some frames redone. Goenitz's small jump with C and D, and crouching Orochi Iori have new animations.

In the GALLERY menu, all the gags of the credits can be viewed (not all, some are missing).

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Orochi Iori Y said:
I thought the load times on 2001/2000 were annoying enough... SNKP should be able to do a much better job with load times, just compare their times to those of CvS2. SNKP is either doing a half ass job on their ports or are purposefully trying to steer the hardcore to AES. The one port that I love of SNK's (not a playmore one I don't thing) is the Dreamcast KOF 99 Evolution. This game rules, good load times, sweet effects and extras from the AES/MVS versions. I don't think that playmore has been interested in putting that much work into their ports...

I know, they could have cut 3 seconds down to 2 and a 1/2. :rolleyes:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
BUMP

So is that it?

Doesn't seem like a very exciting game.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Syxx573 said:
I know, they could have cut 3 seconds down to 2 and a 1/2. :rolleyes:

I can't comment on this this particular game. I have KoF 2002 for DC, so don't really plan on getting it for PS2 unless there is a great improvement.

Anyhow, in games like KoF 99 Evolution for DC SNK did things right. There is minimal load time and there are things that keep you entertained between matches. I would have to play some my games and take notes to tell you all of the games I can thing of that have this problem, but one I can think of is Dream Match 99 for DC. No music with black screen during loading time between matches etc. It is just bad. I can stand some wait time, but the way to do it is with a smooth transition like Evolution does it. That said there is no reason for there to be any noticeable load times for Neo Geo ports to the PS2... but they are there.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
nothing extra in the endings?

and what about party mode?
any extra modes puzzle?training?chara art?extra battle modes?

I'd hoped for extra charas like Eiji(yeah I know stop bitching already) and maybe MR BIG or krauser (couldn't have been that much trouble besides all the other charas were already in SVC and 2k1)

:crying:

still doesn't look bad tho

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
AssassinStrike said:
nothing extra in the endings?

Nothing, but there's a strange thing: the chars in the credits gags are in better resolution (like PS2's SvC chars) than in-game.

AssassinStrike said:
and what about party mode?
any extra modes puzzle?training?chara art?extra battle modes?

There's no Party Mode anymore (thank God...), only a Challenge Mode with three sub divisions: Team Attack (unlock King), Time Attack (unlock Geese, Goenitz and O. Iori) and Single Attack (unlock Shingo). It isn't better or more fun than Party Mode, though.
The GALLERY mode have artworks of all the chars (the extra chars too), and all the credits gags.

Only these, nothing more...

AssassinStrike said:
I'd hoped for extra charas like Eiji(yeah I know stop bitching already) and maybe MR BIG or krauser (couldn't have been that much trouble besides all the other charas were already in SVC and 2k1)?

Would be better than the three "new" chars, all overpowered and abusable (with the same bugs and infinites from SvC), making then useless. Pathetic effort from SNKP.

AssassinStrike said:
still doesn't look bad tho

Still a good port, SNKP only lost possibilities to make better things or come with some better options/extra chars.:mad_2:

Last edited:

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks very much Yamazaki_RJ very enlightening review I’ll prolly get it sooner or later where did you order it from?

If only the damn postal would stop stealing my mail I swear at least 50% of my mail gets stolen I’ll prolly have to treble insure it.
The gallery sounds very promising.

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks. I'm happy to serve the Neo forums.

I didn't ordered mine yet, short $$$...

Good luck with your mail! :D

MistressDragon

The Ultimate 11
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:
Ouch, ugy cover art, otherwise, looks ok.

The cover art isn't that bad. But it probably could have had just a bit more effort put into it. I really like the screen shots, they look like it would be fun to play.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Well, I got mine, and I must say: It's FANTASTIC! I love my AES version, but man: SNKP added some wonderful details that make it all worth-while! The backgrounds come to life like never before: shadows fall in different directions depending on the light source, the change of day drasticly changes the color pallette on your character, transparent effects galore, and now the tower/cathedral stage has 4 versions, each at different locations along the tower/cathedral. Plus, all this is nice High rez!:drool:

Oh yes: it playes perfectly too, and the "arcade" graphic mode perfectly emulates the original graphics and effects (even the flashing shadows) of the AES/MVS original. Plus, the SFX and Music have perfect stereo seperation, and are crisp and clear.

Great job SNKP!!! :D

Last edited: