somewhat formal apology (kof2k3)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, so I've been shitting on 2k3 and all I knew was the gay rom. Well, about two weeks or so ago I decided to buy 2k3 for my MVS. Don't know why... did it after the $189 hype and what not, even. I decided I wanted to be true to the KOF series and even buy a KOF that I hated.

Then I played it. Many things on the original were better than the rom. The interface looks so much better on my arcade cab. The transparent (well, it can't be real) life bars and names are great. The graphics really are nice as hell. And, the sound effects and music are so much more crips when you compare them to 2k2 back to back. 2k2 sounds muffled when you get done with 2k3. Overall the game has great presentation for sure.

Yes, I still don't like the CDs and second throws removed, but I'm living fine without them. Heck, some characters still have the old CDs in the air and the ground (Athena's is forward AC now). I really even enjoy the tagging system. I still don't care for the new characters (gay hero team), but Ash, I admit, plays great.

So, in other words, I'm sorry for shitting on this game for the last month or more. I had no right. It's a very good game.... well, I am KOF's bitch after all, as I seem to love pretty much every one. Still can't get into 99 however, and I've been playing that for four years now. So looks like 99 is the only one I can't stand, with 2k1 a very distant second.

Spike

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Hey at least you were mature enough to admit. Most people will fight to the death about their opinon and won't even budge.

I'll really have to get quality time with this title. Maybe after 6 months when the homecart price comes down, but until then I'll hunt for 'cades that are going to have some decent competition :oh_no:

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Now Spike, I want to see you and KOF2k3 shake hands and act like adults.

I'm sure KOF2k3 wants to apologize to you as well.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
So you changed your mind about something, it happens.

I didn't like GG but I played it a bit more and I like it now.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as Spike.

I played the ROM for a few weeks and was basically meh about it, but after getting the homecart I'm really liking it. I still don't feel it has nearly the depth of '98 or 2002 but it's definitely fun.

The only problem I have now is that for whatever reason I can't do combos for shit in this game after playing 2002 for whatever reason, maybe it's just the overall speed that's screwing me up...:spock: :emb:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Phoenix Down said:
I'm in the same boat as Spike.

I played the ROM for a few weeks and was basically meh about it, but after getting the homecart I'm really liking it. I still don't feel it has nearly the depth of '98 or 2002 but it's definitely fun.

The only problem I have now is that for whatever reason I can't do combos for shit in this game after playing 2002 for whatever reason, maybe it's just the overall speed that's screwing me up...:spock: :emb:

You can't buffer moves like in past KOFs. I didn't like it at first, but it makes for combos to take a bit more skill, IMHO. So, you have to wait for a move to be almost done before you can crank out the next one (like Kyo's QCF K and then his Serpent Wave... you have to wait, then do the move, then HOLD the button, and then it hits).

I admit it, I like the game a lot. Wish throws weren't messed up, but beyond that, it's great.

Spike

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
why call the Hero team the "gay" team?, just bcuz they look and dress "different" doesnt mean they are already gay... i guess many people dont understand and respect japanese fashion/culture

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The game may look better, but it still plays like ass. That's one thing that doesn't change from the rom.

And the hero team isn't gay.. just Ash. What a flaming homo.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I am glad you now like King of Fighters 2003, it is indeed a great game.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
The game may look better, but it still plays like ass. That's one thing that doesn't change from the rom.

And the hero team isn't gay.. just Ash. What a flaming homo.

Except for what you think about World Heroes, I find that I agree with you more times than not. It does play very differently, but it's not different than what they do from year to year. 97 to 98 saw the exclusion of "short cut" commands, and 98 was tighter. Some complained for that. Then from 99 to 2k, the strikers actually became useful. Play control tweaks have gone on for the whole series. This year you can't buffer moves as much, and you must crank out the commands as you want to do them, unlike other years. It IS different, but not bad at all.

My problems were how they took out some moves, and how I didn't like the new characters that weren't from older games (because I love the MOTW chars). I do like Ash now, even though he's gay.... erm... Japanesely different.

Much much better than SNK vs Capcom, which I also can stomach. Poor poor Guile.

Spike

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
What I don't like it how you can't buffer moves, like you already stated above. I hate how you can't do that. Maybe I'm a lazy gamer, but I just cannot get used to how they did the engine in 2k3. I really miss the CD attacks as well. Just a lot of little stuff was changed that really makes this KOF play bad for me. Like Kim's hishokyaku reverted to the tick damage, but is only it's original 'D' command (which comes out slow and has ass for range this year). It's hard to buffer for when you land to a universal block position (db) for another move to come out.

Ugh, I really don't want to go on.

But you're right, every KOF has played differently. It's funny because the last two KOFs that came out LWK would get flaming pissed about how it played, and I would always tell him that it's change, and change is good. Can't play the same game each year. However, I guess this time I can't play 2k3. I just don't like it, it plays like crap. I'll probably buy the port though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You should not be apologizing for trashing the game but apologizing that you used a rom to judge the game.

Everyone knows thate emulation just makes teh original suck........... That's why I hate it. Peple use the emulatior to review the games.

Sklabah

Another Striker
This non-buffer thing... Is that why I'm having trouble with the QCB-HCF motion when facing right for a DM? I swore my controller was busted, but I have no problems with 2K1 moves using the same motion, nor 97 or 96 for that matter. It's really annoying.

Funny thing is, when facing left, I can pull the moves just fine with the same controller. I'm confused...

help.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
The game is good and fun but not something I can take seriously ala SVC. It being broken and the very sluggish controls and priorities are just plain annoying, when I play 2k2 after it it feels like the sequel.

Oh and Kim's new air move is way better than its grab version from 2k2, it has excellent recovery and you can really trap and trick ppl with it. I like Kim now, he became more of a skill character again rather than a combo monster (2k2).

For DMs and stuff you have to do them then and there, no HCFs waiting a little and doing QCF+P or K, you have to do it all in one go fast.

This game had SO much potential but Playmore pissed it all away.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I agree about the 2k2 version. Still, it was a cool little throwback to KOF 94 and his FFS version of it. However, in 2k3, after I crossup with it I just can't string together more hits for a longer combo. It's much easier in 98 :(

Lupin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying this game. I think this game has the stuff KoF is made out of. I feel it offers more than KoF2k2. KoF2k2 is a good game, but a very conservative KoF, not much real risk involved. I feel most of the KoF instalments were games that took risks(some major some minor risks). KoF2k3 is just that, a KoF that takes a risk. Some things that I'm used to have been changed or removed so it forces me to play differently, and I think that is a good thing. It really feels like a new game, I havent felt this much newness in a KoF since KoF99.

I love the new Garou Team, I do miss Andy, but I feel Tizoc(Griffin Mask) really completes this team. I dig Ash(the way he plays not the way he is designed), but am still trying to get used to his team mates. Two different paths w/ two different bosses(and one path offers a cool sub-boss battle), some cool backgrounds, and I like the tagging.

Only thing that I can't get into is the music, but that's been the case since KoF2k.

Real Cool Game.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
what does it mean if instead of playing the rom I played the real
game and I wasn't impressed by it?
I feel so confused.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
One thing about 2k3 I automatically assumed before I played it that:

Tizoc,Malin and Jhun would suck donkey balls!
But I was proved wrong....

Tizoc kicks some major hinny BIIGGG FAAAAWWLLL and Malin is a real upstart and Jhun has been totally overhauled he rawks:buttrock:

:spock:

Stokers

Geese's Thug

Im of the opposite opinion, i think the game plays as well as it ever did, however my main problem is with the games look.
None of the new stages are worth mentioning, the only one i kinda liked was the rooftop with the snk logo and neo smiley.

The charecter art is piss poor, and some of the sprites look dull as they have been used for the last 27 years. I dont know what the hell they did to terry, and the last boss is a bit of a shocker as well.

Now ive only played the rom as of this moment, and have toyed with the idea of getting the homecart - if it does make any difference at all then it might be worth it.