Taking care of mvs and aes games?

XRS

Crossed Swords Squire
Ok guys, since I baught a hell lot of neo games lately, I wanted to get suggestions on how to take care of them if anyone can help? And also the best way of storing them? Most of my games are still new and never played, do you need to still cleen these every so often if not played?, and is this true what I heard about , that games can develope bit rot?, cause that scares me
Thanx

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I store all my MVS carts in Shock Boxes and I only clean them once really well when I get them (unless they are new).

Bit rot is generally only a concern with carts that have EPROM chips, and even then, there are plenty of arcade PCBs out there that are nearly 25 years old, full of EPROMS, and they are still working. It's a good idea to cover any visible EPROM windows with electrical tape to further prevent degradation over time.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
While I don;t think that AES and MVS carts are as reliable as other Console Carts (that have much higher production runs), they won't scratch like a CD/DVD/GD ROM. They are also easier to repair. Since they are enclosed, they tend to last longer than standard arcade PCBS.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I only clean a game when I get it (if it's used). If the game is not left in the system forever, you will not have to clean it very often if ever.
I store my AES games in a dark cabinet. This will prevent sun fade on the inserts.
Don't be too aggressive when you open/close a snap-lock case. The biggest problem with old-style cases is the potential for the tray to crack. Just be careful when you remove/replace the cart...and what ever you do don't drop it!
Also, keep the manual on the top of the cart if it is in a snap-lock case. The SNK logo can leave an impression on the manual.