KOF 00 vs. 01 vs. 02

kc

Belnar Institute Student
confused which one to get, need help

thanks

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Most things come down to opinion, but I'll tell you what I think.

2000 has the best music and backgrounds of the 3. If that's all you were looking for, you'd be set with this one. It has a lot of effort put into it, because I think SNK knew it would be their last KOF. That's why (I think) they threw in all the extra strikers (not to mention they seemed to wrap the story just in case there wasn't going to be a KOF '01). It's got strikers from a lot of other Neo games like Samurai Shodown (Nakoruru), Last Blade (Kaede), Metal Slug (Fio), and even that robot guy from Robo Army.

Unfortunately 2000 isn't as fun to play as '01 or '02, in my opinion.

'01 and '02 are both a lot of fun for me but because they play a bit differently, they're kind of hard to compare. '01 has a lot of crazy combos involving strikers that can end a round real quick. It also has wire damage which equals free DMs for a number of the characters. Some people complain about '02's BC combos. But to be honest, I'm not really good enough to take advantage of them (the damage is scaled down, so you really have to be good to make it worth your while). On the other hand, I can abuse the hell out of wire damage.

For me, '02 edges out '01 because of the roster. '02 is the only KOF with the New Face/Orochi team, and Billy, Angel, and Ramon and Vanessa all in the same game. I wouldn't say it's a cut and dry choice, though. There are people who's opinions I respect who prefer each. The best idea is to put some time in on each and see which style of play you enjoy most.

I went through the exact same choice a couple months ago. I tried them all, and weighed all their strengths (and I could only afford one). There were parts I liked of each, but in the end, I bought '02.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
I fuggn love 2k2...but i haven't played 2k3 yet so. Of the 3 you suggested i'd have to say 2k2. It seems to play the closest to 98 and 98 is the best version overall.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
For me KOF 2000 is the last KOF that I really love. I got into 2K2 for a while, but it just feels slapped together. 2000, while definitely not the deepest of the series, is tremendously fun to play. It also has the absolute best character art of the entire series - most importantly for me though, is that it's the last KOF that feels right. Good backgrounds and music. And King is an absolute monster in that game.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You will have a blast with 2k2.. I won't restate points already made... 2k2 has a faster/responsive gameplay than it's predecessors.
2k2 on pure RGB is the shizzle.
-BB

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
You will have a blast with 2k2.. I won't restate points already made... 2k2 has a faster/responsive gameplay than it's predecessors.
2k2 on pure RGB is the shizzle.
-BB

Word. 2K2 is an all time high in the series, a blast.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Magnaflux said:
Word. 2K2 is an all time high in the series, a blast.

While I am a HUGE '01 fan, '02 has definately struck a cord with me. I absolutely love it. It is kind of a throwback to the '98 style KOF's, while maintaining the fast and chaotic gameplay of '01.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
KOF 2002 is all you need man. *Some "HATE" on it, but it's a great game, though Rugal is a ridiculous "Cheese" laden bastid as usual in this outing as well.

MERCENARY X99

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
Out of that bunch I'd personally go with 2k2. Its a blast when you play with some friends.

kc

Belnar Institute Student
kof.jpg

I was not aware that KOF2000 had so many strikers,

yea im getting kof2000

thanks for your help

BTW that feo from metal slug in that pic

emuguy

n00b
King of Fighters 2002 is by far much better than 2001

I've played King of Fighters 2001 and that game has a new system than the previous King of Fighters. The intro graphics are very cool, but the game play is very difficult to do the special moves of each character, and I haven't played King of Fighters 2002, but I've heard that, that game is better than 2001. There is even debate that Kof 2002 is better than Kof2003.

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW and you will see exactly how much controversy there was about the topic of kof2002 being better than kof2003.

First off people have said, "The games cliché, the movement of the second person coming into the screen is too slow. And there were more Complaints of that game."

JUST CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW.
THE TOPIC IS about: Which one is better KOF2002 OR KOF2003?

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78981

Last edited: