Counter Wires in KOF 2002

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hi, I'm playing a lot of '02 lately and I'm getting to the point where I'd like to be able to take advantage of counter wires. Usually now, when it comes up, it's if I'm trading blows at the end of a round. When it comes up in the middle of a round, which isn't that often, a lot of times I get knocked down also, so I can't follow up. Does anyone have helpful advice to take advantage of these?

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The timing for these moves; the window has decreased since '01.

You will need more strict timing, even in the more forgiving engine of '02.

Basically, it is a free hit however tough it may be. You can use K''s qcb+b/d to land another hit or maxima's hcb+a/c.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, I'm fine with wire damage in '01, but that doesn't need to be a counter hit. For example, in '01 with Vanessa, qcf+D, f+C will wire someone anytime it hits, and it's easy as hell to link a qcb, hcf+A to it. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should look out for in '02, or if I just need to be ready when it happens... Does anyone use counter wires as a regular part of their gameplay?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Hopefully I'm thinking of the right year, but wasn't 2002 the year where the counter-wire was the fundamental part of Maxima's game? Basically, every time you're getting rushed down you do Vapor Cannon (qcb+A), which outprioritizes your opponent's offense and often counter wires. Then you can do ANOTHER Vapor Cannon, or if you have time running df+C,dp+C.

The damage is sick. :)

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Both Kula's One Inch and Critical Ice have counter wire, too.
I still remember the time when I bounced a Choi player off the
wall by knocking him out of his tornado DM with One Inch
twice in a row...
icon21.gif