Getting online an Xbox or PS2 with a USB Ethernet Set up

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
My best friend has been bugging me to get on Xbox Live and PS2 Online for months, and he has Ethernet (But its connected via the USB Port on his PC) and its really got me confused how to go about this

How can he get online? I have seen Ebay have auctions for adapters to convert USB to Ethernet Link Cable for example...but I feel like there is probably another way...

Can someone show me a site or how to?

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
You could re-route your bandwidth through a secondary Ethernet card (cat5 based -- PCI expansion card) into something like a D-Link router. Of course, some knowledge of networking would be required to accomplish said task. I suggest just buying an Ethernet-based cable modem and doing it the old-fashioned way; you’ll thank yourself later.

Edit: Why use a USB cable modem? I'm using an Ethernet-based cable modem that is connected to a D-link router; my Xbox, PS2, and PC are connected to this router and they work perfectly (even on the first time the network was established). I don’t think you should be racking your brain over a USB solution when easier solutions exist.

Last edited:

kc

Belnar Institute Student
you cant.

end of story

go buy the internet pack for 40 bucks

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
NeoLord said:
You could re-route your bandwidth through a secondary Ethernet card (cat5 based -- PCI expansion card) into something like a D-Link router. Of course, some knowledge of networking would be required to accomplish said task. I suggest just buying an Ethernet-based cable modem and doing it the old-fashioned way; you’ll thank yourself later.

Edit: Why use a USB cable modem? I'm using an Ethernet-based cable modem that is connected to a D-link router; my Xbox, PS2, and PC are connected to this router and they work perfectly (even on the first time the network was established). I don’t think you should be racking your brain over a USB solution when easier solutions exist.

That's exactly what I said to him, but thanks to Direct TV for doing such a lovely and idiotic job for him.

Yet since he lives in a very small town, that doesn't even support any kind of cable modem services, so he is SOL and had no real choice. Kept telling him to move the hell out of there...stubborned fool...

I, on the other hand, live in a city and have AT&T BroadBand with a normal router

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Dsc00244.jpg
front

Dsc00245.jpg
back

Ok my friend just showed me his setup..and literally this is messed up, he says there are TWO Cables from the Direct TV satellite going into this..just for one computer...I can't figure out who the messed up a simple job like this

The question, how can he break out of it?

I thought it was easy..but it looks like the $40 suggestion is gonna take some other steps

Last edited:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
ClassicMode1985 said:
*bump* Stupid photo hosting sites..cant trust them

How does he connect his game systems? Does he use a hub / router or some other method (i.e. like the one mentioned in my previous post)?

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
He doesn't, that's why I made this post hehe, trying to help him figure out how in the hell to get him play online with his Xbox and PS2