I need serious fighting game help

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
After playing against some human opponents on the NGPC and King of Fighters 2000, I came face to face with the terrible reality: I have bad reflexes. Whenever I play against AI oppositions, there was always one strategy I could fall back on, and that was defend like hell, when the opposition performed some move that had some serious lag, I roll in to throw or combo up with specials of my own, but against human opponents they generally are fairly good about keeping up the pressure, keep me away from building any serious defense by poking the hell outta me with well placed light punches and kicks, or just plain throwing me. I need some seminars or something to help me develop self-esteem and understand how to take risks, as well as how to rush down, how not to eat fireballs and punches, and how to link normal attacks seamlessly with rushes, jumps, rolls and specials :help:

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Heh, I was in the same predicament for the longest time; a lack of human opponents made me think I was good due to waxing the computer routinely. The one thing that put me on the right track was learning to break my human opponent's rush downs with counters so I could get some breathing room for myself. Then it was all about learning which moves in my fighters arsenal were most effective vs jump ins, linked well into specials/supers, etc Your strategic offense will vary depending on the types of fighters that you use. You cant play a grappler same as a shoto same as a charger. Which type do you usually use?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
My staples are Kyo and Iori, I can play grapplers ok, but I'd like to become better at them and learn to pull some of those two-in-one with more finesse. I suck bad at Shotos, I don't know why but I've always been that way. But jumping too far or too close, popping K's uppercut at the wrong moment and at the wrong place only to end up on the other side of my opponent is a constant problem, and the same goes with Kyo's R.E.D. Kick.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
dunno if this will help, but I'll throw my two cents in the jar...
*clink clink*

I also wind up playing the CPU a lot due to the lack of any good arcades and any decent human competition, and I know I'm much worse than my college years...having said all that, I may be one of the few people who welcomed the opportunity that came with the arrival of SVC Chaos...

why do you ask? because SVC brought back the concept of rewarding aggressive play...MAX mode gives you the flexibility to hone some really nasty aggressive techniques...plus the fact that the time constraints on MAX mode force you to think fast in order to fully take advantage...

I know a lot of folks will bring up the whole "broken game" thing up, but with all its flaws this game did manage to awaken some long dormant tricks and techniques against all the newcomers who stepped up thinking they could just plug in their CVS2 skills...

heh, my RYO sure did bring pain to many of 'em
:cool:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:

I also wind up playing the CPU a lot due to the lack of any good arcades and any decent human competition, and I know I'm much worse than my college years...having said all that, I may be one of the few people who welcomed the opportunity that came with the arrival of SVC Chaos...

why do you ask? because SVC brought back the concept of rewarding aggressive play...MAX mode gives you the flexibility to hone some really nasty aggressive techniques...plus the fact that the time constraints on MAX mode force you to think fast in order to fully take advantage...

:cool:
I too definitely love the aggressive style of play in SvCC. Yeah the game is not good for being real competitive, but its fun as hell.

I generally play aggressive in all fighting games, just poking the hell out of my opponents and not giving them much space. I'm really screwed, though, if I run into a counter master :p