Difference between Newer Blue Phamtom and Older Black Phantom?

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
I was wondering what difference is between Newer Blue Phamtom and Older Black Phantom? I have had the Blue one serveral times, but am thinking of buying the Black one and need to know if it will work with Prehistoric Isle 2, Nightmare in the Dark, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 3, and so one kits! Help me out! Thanks!

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
This was copied from www.neogeousa.com/index.html

Friday November 8, 2002
Phantom-1 Compatibility:

We thought we would address some concerns about the compatibility issues between the Phantom1 and the newer MVS cartridges such as Rage of The Dragons.

It is a well known fact that the Phantom1 was not designed to work with bootlegs.

We have tested all of the newer carts with the Phantom1 and all worked flawlessly on every revision system.

We wish to share with you a few sample photo's of what will not work with the Phantom1.

Rage of The Dragons/Metal Slug 4 Bootleg
rotd_b.jpg

rotd1_b.jpg

rotd2_b.jpg

rotd3_b.jpg

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Thanks for the info. I have read that before. I am more looking to find out if the Black Phantom has issues that were corrected by the Blue Phantom or something? Thanks!

indy650

n00b
i have a black phantom-1 and it plays ms4 shengo 3 and rage of the dragons with no problems:) :)

WGolly

Known Scammer. Fook Better Explain Himself
I think the only difference is that the blue will work on all systems, even if the slots are loose, whereas the black only works with certain board revisions, an it will not work if the slots are loose. The black model should work with the newer encrpted games (pi2, ms3,etc.) as well, but don't quote me on that search on these boards to be sure, and its' a bit cheaper. I've seen them on the selling board recently for around $150. Your prob better off spending the extra on the blue phantom to be sure it works.

Last edited:

indy650

n00b
the black phantom dosent work that great on the newest games like metal slug 5 it tends to losk up system while playing sometimes even while loading menu screen

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
I got a MAS SuperNova, but I will not edit my original thread as to help others with the same question. Thanks!