SvC vs. SS5 vs. KOF 2003 Help me choose one!

Which game should I get?

• SNK vs. Cacom: SvC Chaos

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Samurai Showdown 5

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Be patient and wait for King of Fighters 2003

Votes: 25 46.3%

• Total voters

cLo

Marked Wolf
Ok, here's the deal. I'm getting a Jap AES system in a trade, and can only afford to get one game at moment. The problem is that SvC is the only game I've played, yet I really want to get SS5 and KoF 2003 as well. For those of you that have played all three games, which one do you think is the best as far as game play and lasting appeal go? I'm leaning toward SvC since that's the only one I've played, but any input you guys may have will certainly help and be appriciated.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
the correct answer is D) sell your kidney and buy all 3...kidding
:glee:

but seriously, what kind of experience have you had with the KOF and SS games? it may help give you a better answer...

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
SVC is a great game, and I'm sure you'd be pleased with it by all means, but I voted for KOF 2003. After playing it several times I have to say that the game rocks! If you did happen to purchase KOF 2003, sight unseen, I doubt you'd be unhappy with that decision. My choices would be KOF2K3, SVC, and then SSV. Good luck with whatever you end up getting man:p .

BIG

sony fanboy
If I had to choose between the three,I would have to go with either SvC or KoF'03.

SvC = the only Neo game with Capcom characters.

KoF '03 = First,maybe last,KoF game with tag mode,awesome cast.

I'd go with SvC,since it's THE only game on the Neo with Capcom characters,not to mention the fact that it's the only non-mvs title (cart form).

SS 5 is okay,but I'd rather wait for SS 5 Special.

cLo

Marked Wolf
Kazuki Dash said:
the correct answer is D) sell your kidney and buy all 3...kidding
:glee:

but seriously, what kind of experience have you had with the KOF and SS games? it may help give you a better answer...

As far as KOF goes, I've only played 2000 and 2001. I loved 2000, but didn't like 2001 as much.

I love the SS series. SS2 is the game that got me into Neo-Geo in the first place. I've played SS3, but didn't like the game style change.

cLo

Marked Wolf
B.I.GPSYCHE said:
If I had to choose between the three,I would have to go with either SvC or KoF'03.

SvC = the only Neo game with Capcom characters.

KoF '03 = First,maybe last,KoF game with tag mode,awesome cast.

I'd go with SvC,since it's THE only game on the Neo with Capcom characters,not to mention the fact that it's the only non-mvs title (cart form).

SS 5 is okay,but I'd rather wait for SS 5 Special.

Are they making a home cart version of SS5 Special?

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
cLo said:
As far as KOF goes, I've only played 2000 and 2001. I loved 2000, but didn't like 2001 as much.

I love the SS series. SS2 is the game that got me into Neo-Geo in the first place. I've played SS3, but didn't like the game style change.

based upon that, I'd say go with SVC first(a sure thing for you), then SSV(or Special if that come to AES), then KOF '03

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SSV. Its got gameplay and even with all its damage bullshit, its still more balanced then svc. SVC is the least balanced neo fighter.

2003 is a low year for KOF.

BIG

sony fanboy
cLo said:

I'm quite sure SS 5 Special will probably be the last AES release...

Then again,I could be wrong.

Here's hoping that SS 5 Special will get its AES release.

Last edited:

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
KoF 2K3 would be my first choice. Nice new faces, nice tag element, all around fun. My absolute last choice would be Chaos which is remarkably average in everyway.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'd seriously suggest SvC. While it may not be balanced or whatever, it's still the most fun out of the games mentioned. I hate SSV. I can't get into it. It feels like trash. 2k3? It doesn't feel like KOF to me. Lots of timings are completely different that I just can't get used to. It's still fun to play though.

Out of all three games, SvC and 2k3 are the only ones I have fun with. Out of those two, I've had more fun with SvC. Even with the hit detection and balance issues, this game is still insanely fun to play. I really recommend it over all the other games, but I'd still recommend picking up 2k3 somewhere down the road afterwards.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I love SS5, but now that special is coming out, it may be the Metal Slug 2/Fatal Fury 2 of the two and be no good. I just don't see how some can dislike SSV.

SNK vs Capcom is, without a doubt, a broken game. Not polished at all, and pretty all around crappy compared to the Neo game line up. And 2k3, I feel, is pure and total dog shit.

I would say SSV by quite a bit. If you want to hold off on SS because of zero special, then I say SvsC. It's got problems, but does some things pretty well (good character art, conversations, it has Capcom chars in it, and has some good bgs and music here and there).

Spike

cLo

Marked Wolf
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering SvC yesterday, and I got a hold of some extra monies, so I'll be pre-ordering KOF 2K3 tomorrow :D I still want to get SS5, but I'm going to wait and see if there will be a home cart release of SS5 Special.

BIG

sony fanboy
Good choice,cLo!

KoF'03 is awesome,definitely pick that one up.

Congrats on the purchase,enjoy!

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Go with KOF 2003. That's what I'm saving up for. SS5 Special is coming soon, and I can't give an opinion on SvC, other than I cant wait to try out Zero.

Vince2K

Crazed MVS Addict
Wait for KOF...

SVC is fun, but quite cheesy.

SSV is really fine, but SS Special is coming soon...

If you wait for KOF, at least, you'll have the opporunity to buy SVC and SSV later, at a cheapest price. I'm sure that a lot of SVC and SSV will pop up on the second hand market in a few days.

MSRdude

Super Sidekicks 3
yea, i didnt like SVC that much. KOF 2003 is great, and SS 5 would be second

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
SVC.... only because it is unique of the three.... neat to play as Capcom characters.:D

gemen

Mickey's Coach
I was facing the same question. I am buying SVCC. kof03 MVS will be the next. One reason for SVCC AES is that it doesn't have MVS, I don't want to only hookup one game on my cab.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Vote

SS V cause the following factors;

SvC appeals to old school fireball trap freaks.
KOF 2003 features tag system (Sorry, but I hate tag systems).

SS V came close to fixing everything I didn't like in SS III-IV, but still didn't fix everything (Bring back regular throws and adopt a gurad drop system already!) :mad:

Even without the translated text, it's still a blast to play.

Neo Gunloc

Rugal's Thug
I'd go for SSV as well.
Maybe I'm just a biased fanboy, but Haohmaru and co. have always been my favs. over any Kyo's or Ryu's.

Still, SVC and KOF 2003 are good games in their own right.
It's just that SSV is more appealing to me.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I used to say SvC but now I think I'm going with KoF 2003. Both SS5 and SvC are fun but very flawed to me, kind of a guilty pleasure for both.

KoF 2003 certainly isn't perfect but it just feels more fluid than the other two. It also seems to be more balanced (well aside from Duo Lon & King).

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
cLo said:

All signs point to yes right now, but who knows what will happen. In other words, yeah probably.

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Don´t make a mistake, pick up the BEST KoF 2 Date...KoF2003...

It´s brilliant imo!!! :cool: