GamePro editor comments on SNKP

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5735

There´s a post from DanElektro, writer/editor of GamePro.

"For everybody who complains that Neo stuff never gets any press, part of that problem is that Playmore/SNK has no concept of how press attention can help their products, and it was only through this independent site that we were able to get the visuals and info on the game. Our official press requests, as usual, went unanswered."

Sounds like a valid complain. It certainly rings true.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I completely disagreee.

I'm doing an article on SNKP now for MG and they got back to me within HOURS.

Maybe DE didn't ask the right way?

;)

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
VanillaThunder said:
I completely disagreee.

I'm doing an article on SNKP now for MG and they got back to me within HOURS.

Maybe DE didn't ask the right way?

;)

Has the first issue been shipped out yet?

I can't wait:multi_co:

cLo

Marked Wolf
I don't believe that statement one bit. There's alot of video game magazines I've seen which had the advertisment about SNK's comeback or the PS2 KOF 2000/2001 double pack. Where as Gamepro's review of Metal Slug 5 in their lastest issue is only two or three paragraphs with five microscopic screen shots.

Curt

apostate
I gotta agree with this

I hardly ever hear of SNK in the mainstream

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Logicdustbin said:
Has the first issue been shipped out yet?

I can't wait:multi_co:

I believe it ships on the 31st of March, I know it's on the presses as of last week.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Considering the absence of widespread advertising for
the KoF 2000/2001 double pack, they obviously don't
comprehend the significance of proper marketing, giving
me more of a reason to think that any potential Xbox
releases are sure to flop.

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I wouldn't put it past SNKP considering some of the other "questionable" marketing decisions they and the former SNK have made over the years.

Then again, maybe they just don't like gamepro for whatever reason.:glee:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I could see them not wanting coverage in GAMEPRO or EGM. If it ain't in PLAY Magazine I ain't interested. It's all moot now anyhow, anything new will be concerning SAMMY and the SNKP shit on ATOMISWAVE.

MERCENARY X99

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
maybe snkp in the us dont have a clue??

there is a shitload of advertising where it counts here. aka their site, famitsu and arcadia.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
Mercenary X99 said:
I could see them not wanting coverage in GAMEPRO or EGM. If it ain't in PLAY Magazine I ain't interested. It's all moot now anyhow, anything new will be concerning SAMMY and the SNKP shit on ATOMISWAVE.

MERCENARY X99

dude, play magazine is terrible. they have some good screenshots and layouts, but their writing sucks. they have the most ridiculous hyperbolated and superlative comments to grace any mag, ever. "rygar is not only the best action game this year, it's the best action game ever","metroid prime was created for my senses to live in." please. given that the mag was created by ex-gamefan employees, i kinda expected this but not to this degree.

aria

Former Moderator
Underdog said:
Japanese company with a lousy US division? Never happen.

;)

Heh.

oh come now... SNK always knew how to court the US market.

As we know from certain members of other websites, questioning SNK-P's events or promotions here in the US is downright un-American. ;)

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
just like JAPANESE movies, music, stuff, maybe SNK-P's market focuses only on its Japan market, and just does foreign distribution for exrta income

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Well, they did a pretty good job advertising the Neo-Geo Pocket here. The mainstream gamer knew what it was, what games were coming out for it, and actually cared to a certain degree provided they weren't hardcore Nintendo nerds.

They also did a good job back when the Neo was new.

I just wonder what the hell happened after that. :\

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Funny. I remember in the mid -'90s, GamePro was giving SNK some love- two- page reviews of KOF '94, KOF '95, Metal Slug 1 (possibly others... they did review NG games pretty frequently...), and some love for the NGPC as well. :)

I do have the issue of Game Informer that had the two page comeback ad. :glee:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Can't you people just call it SNK, or do you love playmore that much that you have to include it in their name? :very_ang:

DanAmrich

n00b
We always tried to give the Neo love in GP. But times (and the company) have changed.

PR is better now than it was, but arcade/MVS stuff is still almost impossible to cover. Mike Meyers PR is doing a good job of getting people the home releases and assets so that coverage can be done timely.

'Course, I don't know what Neo's future is in GamePro anymore, because I no longer work there.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
DanAmrich said:
We always tried to give the Neo love in GP. But times (and the company) have changed.

PR is better now than it was, but arcade/MVS stuff is still almost impossible to cover. Mike Meyers PR is doing a good job of getting people the home releases and assets so that coverage can be done timely.

'Course, I don't know what Neo's future is in GamePro anymore, because I no longer work there.

Damnit you were my favorite editor :( Oh well.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SNKP knows that its products aren't popular here, and that they probably never will be. They focus the vast majority of their marketing capital on the JPN market, and figure that that the fans here that will want their products probably already know about them.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
DanAmrich said:

Dan, why not just log into your old account? LINK

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well, the advertisements behind MI are a start for SNK to attempt to get back into the mainstream. They'll need to make some good games first.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
CurtWRX said:
I gotta agree with this

I hardly ever hear of SNK in the mainstream

I agree with it to a point...
SNK hasn't been the most visual company in US based magazines. But a LOT of it has to do with the mainstream audience. When the next generation consoles came out, such as the Playstation and the Saturn, a lot of people looked at SNK as an "outdated" system. 3D became the norm and machines that only did 2D games were considered to be "old school" in the eyes of a mainstream US gamer. The only true breakthrough games in the US audience for SNK after 1995 were Bust-A-Move and Metal Slug. We all know that there a lot more greatness to the system besides these titles, but compared to the 3D eye candy that the Playstation & Saturn provided the Neo Geo didn't stand a chance against those gamers that needed more visuals than gameplay.

Besides that... Companies pay thousands of dollars to advertise in these magazines, some even doing it more than others so they get more ads and reviews. It's the same thing with FM Radio and pop music... the companies that spend more money to get their products talked about, the more that they're hyped, seen and heard. SNK/Playmore could spend the hundreds of thousands to push a project here in the US and get all sorts of "exposure" in the mainstream, but if the mainstream audience automatically thinks 2D=BORING, then it would be wasted money as they still get little to no sales.

If gaming magaznes were more inclined to embrace ALL aspects of the gaming industry... the mainstream, the underground, international, etc... and not just what is "hot" at the moment, then it would be a lot easier for SNK to sell and push their products in the US. And these days, the focus on gamimg is dominated by the home market, so SNK/Playmore needs to keep their focus on getting titles onto X-Box, PS2 and Gamecube. KOF:MI is a 3D game on updated hardware, so that will help get through to the visually brainwashed. And if the gameplay is solid for us hardcore fans, then there should be plenty of talk and exposure on our shores.

With that said, I'll continue to play SNK/Playmore titles even without a US mainstream following. I could careless if my favorite games are "number one" on any chart or are breaking sales records. In the end, it's my money and my time and I spend both doing the things I want to do.

Well, they did a pretty good job advertising the Neo-Geo Pocket here. The mainstream gamer knew what it was, what games were coming out for it, and actually cared to a certain degree provided they weren't hardcore Nintendo nerds.

They also did a good job back when the Neo was new.

I just wonder what the hell happened after that. :\

Pretty simple, actually. Nintendo dominates the handheld market and always have. The Gameboy has even managed to beat out more superior handhelds due to their extensive library of game titles and marketing power. Don't get me wrong, the NGPC is great and games like MOTM should have given them the push they needed to sell units. However, it boils down to the mainstream gamer and another issue between gameplay versus visuals. The mainstream audience were all for the GBA, and even the best NGPC titles looked outdated next to the worst GBA titles. Put that together with an extremely long list of playable games, and there was no way that the NGPC could compete.

Personally, I think the Turbo Express is the best handheld ever, with the Sega Nomad coming in a close second. The idea of being able to play the same titles "on the go" as you would on a regular console still sways my decision. I own the GBA and the NGPC, and the only title I play currently on the GBA is Bubble Bobble: Old & New. I couldn't choose between either one of those handhelds, but I can clearly understand why a mainstream gamer would choose the GBA over the NGPC.

Last edited: