NES on X-RGB2+

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'll just post this here instead of in unrelated...

I wanted to know how the NES system looks through the XRGB...nice? Odd? Distorted? Artificial? Spot-on?

I'm torn between playing all my original carts through horrible video format, and using an emu with lots of gameplay flaws...I thought this might be a good solution?

Thanx :smirk:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
what's so "horrible" about the NES's Composite output?????

It actually filters alot of the pixelaiton.......

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
norton9478 said:
what's so "horrible" about the NES's Composite output?????

It actually filters alot of the pixelaiton.......

What's wrong with pixelation? I like pixels, it's 8-bit, you're supposed to see pixels.

::still waiting for a post relevant to the topic::

scooby105

Kula's Candy
just play the damn games
video quality has absolutely nothing to do with game quality
its why most new games suck
all anyone seems to care about is graphics, not actual gameplay

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
well I guess you can play SMB 1,2,3 on a SNES running allstars and unlock original Excitebike on a 64. other than that the quality won't look any better.

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Why are you two even bothering to post? I've posted a question here about a specific query, to get a specific answer.

I don't want to chit chat about what my or your priorities should be when fucking around with your NES.

I play the games all the fucking time. I want to experiment with the video quality. THEREFORE...

"What does the NES look like through the XRGB2+"

Anyone kind enough to comment who has ACTUALLY TRIED THE XRGB2+ WITH AN NES HOOKED UP TO IT is welcome to do so, and is greatly appreciated. The point of this thread.

Thanx

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Snes has RGB........ Play allstars....

Besieds what's wrong with free bumps?

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
norton9478 said:
I dunno man, good luck finding someone who has had experience with it though!

Aww thanx sweetums that's so kind.

BTW the NES has more games than Mario 1, 2, and 3....

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
You won't get any better picture with that device if you take the signal from the composite output. You need either to buy one of the later famicoms with RGB output or modify your NES yourself and tapp the RGB before the composite/rf encoders. If you do that the picture will look terrific. It won't look any better than on a monitor with RGB input though. Not the answear you where looking for but close at least I hope.

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Pingu said:
You won't get any better picture with that device if you take the signal from the composite output. You need either to buy one of the later famicoms with RGB output or modify your NES yourself and tapp the RGB before the composite/rf encoders. If you do that the picture will look terrific. It won't look any better than on a monitor with RGB input though. Not the answear you where looking for but close at least I hope.

Which type of famicoms support RGB without modification? How easy is it to play NTSC games on a Japanese famicom console? Any mods needed?

This helps a lot, thanx!

buy one of the later famicoms with RGB output or modify your NES yourself and tapp the RGB before the composite/rf encoders.

There's no such thing as a Famicom with RGB output, and there's only one Famicom (The Titler from Sharp) that has an RGB-outputting chip. All other famicoms, without exception and including all the Chinese clones, have a chip that will output only (only!) composite video. No Svideo, no RGB, no Component, no digital.

As for running it through the XRGB, it'll look as good (or as bad) as any other composite video source; the NES isn't special in having particularly poor AV output (tho the NES2 has some nasty stripes).

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
You could also buy one of those adapters that let you play NES games on your SNES...SNES has RGB.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I totally forgot about the super 8.....

Something tells me that the Svid/RGB might not work tho on a Super8 or Tristar64.

I wish I had bought one of these when they were cheap...

AnechoicJinx

Edo Express Delivery Guy
norton9478 said:
I totally forgot about the super 8.....

Something tells me that the Svid/RGB might not work tho on a Super8 or Tristar64.

I wish I had bought one of these when they were cheap...

I'll try to get ahold of one and let ya'll know :)

Edit: nevermind, nothing I've read indicates that the Super 8 would be able to do anything near RGB :(

Last edited:
You could also buy one of those adapters that let you play NES games on your SNES...SNES has RGB.
nothing I've read indicates that the Super 8 would be able to do anything near RGB

The latter is correct, the Super8 is basically a Famiclone that uses the SNES for power and controller input, nothing more. As such it follows the above rule: All Famicoms (and clones) output only composite video.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Ah chucks...so this alos means my Tristar won't play in RGB? It's European (if that should matter).

Predator

Crazed MVS Addict
scooby105 said:
just play the damn games
video quality has absolutely nothing to do with game quality
its why most new games suck
all anyone seems to care about is graphics, not actual gameplay

Video quality has nothing to do with graphics, I like NES games but I hate crappy video quality. In fact I don't have a NES anymore because of this. The only way to play the games is emulation (video quality 10x better...)

Predator

Crazed MVS Addict