Need info about building custom controllers for 2-slot consolized MVS

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I want to make custom joystick controllers for use with the consolized 2-slot MVS I am getting. I have looked at wiring diagrams, and feel like I have a good idea of what I need. However, I do have a few questions about it.

- If I can find a 15-pin d-sub joystick extension cable that is long enough (at least ten feet), I am planning on using that. If not, I am looking at using a VGA extension cable and getting 15-pin d-sub connectors to replace the HD 15-pin connectors. Do those seem like reasonable choices, or is there a better solution?

- I got the wiring diagram for the NG controller pinout from gamesx.com; I doesn't look like I will need pin 8, which according to the diagram is for +5V (I will be using Happs sticks and buttons). Am I correct about this? Also, according to the diagram, it shows both pins 4 and 9 being assigned to the "D" button. Is this an error? If so, which is the correct pin?

- Other than the obvious components I will need (sticks and buttons, cables and wire, maybe 15-pin connectors, plus wood or MDF and screws), are there any other components I will need?

TIA for any help.

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
I'm currently in the middle of building a new neo-specific stick.

You don't need the +5v line at all as this is used for powering the encoders used in the 'new style' sticks and control pads that came with the AES.

As far as I'm aware, just hook up pin 4 for D, no need to hook up pin 8 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I got a standard joystick extension cable from e-bay which at 1.8m is a bit short for you. You could simply get two and stick them together, beats modifying another cable.

Other than the buttons, stick and MDF for the case you don't need anything else unless you want some vinyl or plexi for an overlay.

My current arcade stick

Give me a shout if you want any help or dimensions etc.

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for the info; great looking stick! I would like to get the dimensions on yours; that would be very helpful. I'm leaning toward using plywood, is MDF that much better? Also, what angle did you use for the slope of the top? Thanks again for your help.

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
I would definately go for MDF as it's much easier to work with than plywood.

Sanding and shaping MDF is a doddle and it doesn't split as easily.

I have no idea what angle I've used for the slope as I haven't bothered to work out the trigonometry :)

The dimensions are:

Top, 350mm * 250mm

The back of the box is exactly 3" high and the front exactly 2".

The base is 220mm * 300mm.

The sides are constructed of 22mm MDF and the top is 15mm thick.

This allows me to use a Sanwa arcade stick supplied by Ultimarc and mount it on the bottom of the wood rather than having to use a router to get a flush top mounting (see Jon Tam's excellent tutorial on top mounting a sanwa stick )

My new stick is a flat box and as I'm using a japanese ball top stick as opposed to the thicker based Happ sticks, the box will be quite a low profile, less than 3" in height. This also makes building the box much easier as I don't have to cut diagnol sides.

The finished article should look quite a bit like this (the model 1). There is a link at the top of the page which shows how this guy made the model 4 case. You don't need to be as technical as that but you get the idea.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for the info. I ordered the sticks and buttons today, and located some 10-foot (3-metre?) joystick extension cables.