Forum Member CandyCab - Sad News - PLEASE READ! (Update 3/15)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Forum Member CandyCab - Sad News - PLEASE READ! (Update 4/30)

[EDIT (Bobak): Candycab has returned to the forums! See his own welcome back thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89568

----------

Mods: Would appreciate it if you could sticky this... if this is not welcome in this section feel free to move it.

Many of you might be familiar with one of our neo brothers here, who goes by the name of "Candycab" and has been a regular poster here and also a moderator over at my own forums. If you know him, you may have been wondering where he has got to this past month or two, but I'm afraid I have to be the bearer of some sad news, but thankfully some good news also.

I emailed him a while ago to find out what had happened to him as I hadn't seen him in a while , and a few weeks later I got a reply from his brother. He was involved in a shooting on the job (he is a police officer) and ended up in hospital very badly hurt. When I say bad, here's a quote from his brothers email:

He has been a bit groggy for the last week or so but
still his old self, which is good to see. I can also shed a bit more
detail on what happend now that I have had a chance to sit and talk with him {although he is still pretty fuzzy on most of the details ,he does remember alot of what happened} and a few of his coworkers that were directly involved a bit more.

While serving an arrest warrant via tactical entry to a closed
business/persons home ,he was shot in the chest twice at around 6 to 8 feet from two slugs of a 12 guage shotgun. He was only outfitted in what is known as a level 3A vest which is rated for 44Magnum/12 Guage at the maximum and not full body armour ,as a result the vest stopped both rounds but the
trauma from the impact was pretty severe. Had he been wearing full body armour he would have been able to shrug it off and go home with no more than maybe some bruising,but he wasnt.
The result was 4 smashed ribs with a major puncture to his left lung and a pretty bad tear to his right, aswell as quite a bit of internal tissue damage all over from the force of the impact.

He actually went into cardiac arrest twice on the way to the hospital via a life flight helicopter and had to be defibrilated twice, so far he has undergone around 12 to 16 hours of surgery to repair the majority of the damage and may have to have a few more in the future as everything heals up since they had to essintially rebuild the vast majority of the rib damage
with alot of titanium bits to join what was left of the rib bones. He has been asleep/out of it in the Intensive Care Unit for most of the last month and a half or so on a morphine drip due to the heavy pain involved with this type of injury. Speaking to a couple of the doctors they told me the sort of force that had impacted his ribcage area was probably equall to someone hitting you in the chest as hard as they could with about a 20 pound sledge
hammer ,and had the trauma plate not been in the vest to absorb the impact it would have easilly been four or five times that amount.

Thats pretty much brings you guys up to speed on whats happening ,he is going to be going to an after care facility soon {which is essentially down the hall from him now} until his lungs heal enough to not have to be monitored for any possible fluid issues and he is sore as hell {he says it actually hurts to breath right now ,which is supposed to pass} but otherwise
doing fine. Once he is moved I will be buying a laptop for him to surf the net on when he can, so hopefully you guys will be hearing from him in the coming months ,doctors say he should be able to go home in probably around 2 months or so.

Anyway, after speaking to his bro again, he said it was ok to post this here as a lot of people here know him well. I'm going to email him with this link so that he can print it out and take it with him to the hospital to show him... as I know he would appreciate it.

For those wondering, this is not a hoax and most of you know me and know that I'm not the type to BS about something like this. Please, I'd appreciate it if you could keep flames and stuff away from this thread and just post messages to send on to him. Candycab is a great guy and good friend, and I want to once again wish him a speedy recovery!

Kaz

Last edited by a moderator:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I knew he was a cop and when he went missing I worried about it being the case that he had been shot. Glad to hear that he should make a full recovery though, he's been missed in chat.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i knew he was a cop, but damn! my condolences go out to him and his family. this year isn't looking good for ng.com members. within a matter of days we have tora in a coma, and candy fucking shot up. sure he's alive and that's what matters, but still...i wish i could help the poor guy.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
a shotgun in the chest...

man i'm not kidding if I said that the first thing that went through my head was MS2 mummies blasted by the shotgun :-S

fortunately he's ok... better injuried than dead

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear about that Kaz. I don't really know CandyCab - but I'm sure that if he's a good friend of yours then he's a pretty decent guy. Hopefully he'll have a nice recovery.

Thank God he was wearing some body armour - two slugs from a 12 gauge is pretty much a death sentence for anyone.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
PS any news on the guy that shot him? I'm trying to search for any news story that may be online.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
lithy said:
PS any news on the guy that shot him? I'm trying to search for any news story that may be online.

Hope they find and punish him!

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
lithy said:

No idea to be honest... I'll have to check with his bro. To tell the truth I barely thought about the guy that did it at all, I was more worried about Candycab himself when I got the email.

Mouse_master: Thanks for stickying it :)

Kaz

BIG

sony fanboy
Best of luck to ya,Candycab.

Disneyland...CA isn't.

Hope ya get well,soon.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Good luck to Candycab, I hope for a speedy recovery.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm crying a little now, jeezus... well it could be worse.

Candy, if you're reading this, DanAdam is wishing you a speedy recovery. I'll play some NTM for you.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
good cops should have football player salaries for going through with this shit, i hope he's ok, and the scumbag that shot him rots.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Thank god for bullet proof vests.

Hope you make a full recovery candycab (and hopefully not stuck at a desk job, I know you hate em)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
well shit, that's terrible. I hope he recovers fully.
If anyone contacts his brother again please send my best wishes.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Thank God for the invention of bulletproof armor, it looks like it has just saved another life.

Sounds like he's going to pull through alright, so I'll wish him my best and hope he makes a full recovery.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
wow. a shotgun to the chest?
amazing.
im glad he's "ok"...and what an amazing story.
good luck.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i knew he was a cop, but damn! my condolences go out to him and his family. this year isn't looking good for ng.com members. within a matter of days we have tora in a coma, and candy fucking shot up. sure he's alive and that's what matters, but still...i wish i could help the poor guy.
Yeah, this definitely shows that we are all vulnerable and anything is possible.

Get better soon Candycab.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
I'd like to add my condolences as well, and hopes for a speedy and full recovery. It takes a brave person to go out risking their lives for people who don't know them and sometimes don't like them. More of a man than I, I'll say that much.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Im glad to hear he's alive and getting better. Someone should bring his neo to hospital for him.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Man, someone posted a message wondering where he was recently. My reply was that "I hope he wasn't killed in the line of duty", as I knew he was a Law Enforcement Officer. But to find out he was actually shot is a horrible coincidence.

Best wishes for his quick recovery.