Loose cart slot video display issues?

Freelancer

Banned
I've been trying to diagnose and isolate the reason as to why I'm getting graphical "glitching" on my AES system. I've done some research and searching in these forums to see if I could answer my question, but perhaps a direct approach is best.

Here's my issue. I got this AES system (US system/very low serial # in the 10,000's) in a bundle deal some time ago. The console itself has a large crack in the shell extending from the back section to around where the cart port is. The system works fine but has the typical fuzzy composite video output that seems to be prevalent in a lot of these earlier systems.

Anyway, I'm having some graphic anomalies on 2 of my 10 AES games. Ninja Combat and Super Spy (both brand new, NOS games) both have what appear to be random black lines and dots all over the sprites and in some of the backgrounds. Even the "NEO GEO" logo has a spotted appearance whenever I boot these two games. Oddly enough, my other 8 games do not have these issues. They all play fine without the graphical garbage.

My system, game and slots are clean. I've opened the unit up to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary. Everything looks fine to me. I've tried adjusting the carts while they are in the cart slots to see if any slight movements will yield improvements, but again, no improvement.
Are my cart slots loose? Or are my Ninja Combat and Super Spy games "damaged" in some way? Please help.

Curt

apostate
Well all I can say is sometimes my Neo Games glitch up.

but I just reinsert the cartrdige very evenly until I get it to work.

Freelancer

Banned
CurtWRX said:
Well all I can say is sometimes my Neo Games glitch up.

but I just reinsert the cartrdige very evenly until I get it to work.

I've tried that over and over to no avail. And worse, it's only Super Spy and Ninja Combat that do this! It's not an issue of them being dirty carts either since they're brand new and have been cleaned several times.

All my other AES games play fine, with no hint of these glitches. I'm at a loss as to what the reason may be aside from loose slots. :(

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It reads like you indeed have a loose area in your slot(s).. Heres what you do to make sure..
remove the top cover of your console,insert the problem cartridge(s) and turn it on.
Pick up the console from the right and left of the base with both hands and lean/angle it in your direction so that the cartridge leans forward as well... If the picture clears up,it's the slots..
try leaning/angling it in the opposite direction as well if you yield no results with the picture after the 1st procedure.
It reads like your slots are loose but NOT very bad.
-BB

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If the are NEW carts, then try inserting over and over again... sometimes the carts are overcoated and need to be "broken in"