Magician Lord!

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
With all the change recently, it’d be nice to get back to teh ROOTS. There is a good faq out there for Magician Lord, but I love this game and recently got it on AES. Thought I’d post some thoughts…

The difficulty seems to be what most people talk about. It IS tough- I’ve read that MVS is actually easier, but still, the game is definitely designed to take your quarters- but like many shooters/platformers, the game is all about patterns. I know some peeps hate these types of games, but I actually find it satisfying to figure out a strategy and successfully pull it off. If you don’t have unlimited continues or the debug chip, though, I could see a hate developing for Magician Lord. But after the recent platformers I’ve played the hell out of (Aria of Sorrow, Zero Mission), the difficulty level is a refreshing challenge. There truly is a sense of accomplishment to clearing a stage…

The controls are really nice for an older game. Elta responds quickly to the joystick, the jump button is pressure sensitive so you can adjust to specific situations, and you can control your character mid jump. The jump is SLOOOOW, though; you feel like you’re floating through the air (damn cloak!). It took me a minute to adjust to shooting while in the air cuz I kept pressing the button early. However, each form Elta takes controls differently and this changes the gameplay and factors into strategy. For example, Dragon Warrior=flame weapon that can shoot diagonally=more effective for killing those annoying-as-fuck birds and flying head things. There is a chart in the manual that breaks down each form’s strength, so take advantage of knowing what works in what situation. While picking up spheres is usually a good idea cuz they heal you, it may be more advantageous to keep a certain form if you are near full strength.

Some tips: Once you figure out when to move, when to stop and shoot, when to hop back, etc., it becomes a matter of execution. I find that I easily slip into a rhythm of stops and starts after playing a section for a while: Go, go, stop and shoot enemy, wait for enemy bullet to leave screen, go…you get the idea. It’s important not to go too slow, cuz some enemies respawn, but if you try to bust through a level SMB style you won’t get too far (until you actually know the level, that is). Also, there is more than one way to do things in this game. If you find yourself dying at the same spot all the time, try another way of navigating the section, changing your pattern of jumping and shooting, or picking a different path.

I can only get to level 3 on one credit right now. Anyone else have thoughts/tips?

Freelancer

Banned
Magician Lord is the 2D action platform equivalent of R-Type.
That said, I still love the game as much as I did back in 1991! :)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
magician lord is one of my favorite neo games. I've been playing neo geo since Fatal Fury, but never had the chance to play this until I bought it with my AES about half a year ago or so. Definately one of the best platformers out there.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
The Super Nintendo is 1000 times better speaking about plateformers. Magician Lord is the plateformer of the poor because 99% of the rival plateformers are better. I don't know a plateformers that is actually worst than magician Lord, even if it's enjoyable at short term. I wonder if you guys have ever heard of Mario series or Donkey Kong Country... How can you enjoy such a rigid gameplay mixed with old fashion gfx? It's an awful game actually. Super Mario 3 is better all the way...

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Tristesse said:
The Super Nintendo is 1000 times better speaking about plateformers. Magician Lord is the plateformer of the poor because 99% of the rival plateformers are better. I don't know a plateformers that is actually worst than magician Lord, even if it's enjoyable at short term. I wonder if you guys have ever heard of Mario series or Donkey Kong Country... How can you enjoy such a rigid gameplay mixed with old fashion gfx? It's an awful game actually. Super Mario 3 is better all the way...
totaly agree with you ^^

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Mario? never heard of it...

Tristesse said:
Magician Lord is the plateformer of the poor because 99% of the rival plateformers are better. I don't know a plateformers that is actually worst than magician Lord, even if it's enjoyable at short term.
Have you ever played Wayne's World?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
dude, magician lord and mario 3 are two completely different games. Besides being a sidescrolling game where you play as a dude that can jump, these games play nothing alike. Its like comparing super mario world to king of the monsters. Magician Lord plays more like Altered Beast or Shinobi.

Last edited:
Q

qube

Tristesse said:

Wow, your comments have become so typical and predictable. Do you ever have anything nice to say to anyone?

Q-

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
qube said:
Wow, your comments have become so typical and predictable. Do you ever have anything nice to say to anyone?

Q-

/me is still planning on making the Magician Lord vid dedicated to his buddy qube. :)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Tristesse said:

Heh, I actually agree with you. the graphics, artwork and evensome of the music are great dut it is all fuined with some of the most atrocious gameplay in a platformer. Elta controlls. stiff as shit. I cant believe super mario worl was out the same year as this (and any one saying "but thier two different games" is a crack addict). Magician lord is fun to look at and to get nastolgic over, not to play.

Curt

apostate
I just got a copy of magician lord

its aggravatingly tough... but like you said... satisfying if you beat a level...

It's not my favorite... but I like it and it's a valuable addition

Gemant

Member,
magician lord is a arcade action game, donkey kong countyr or super mario 3 are platform games, and not arcade games.

is a different genre

For those of us accustomed to the old-school NES/Genesis/TG16 days of platformers, timed jumps, and heavy shooting, a game like this is easy. With practice, you will finish the game indeed. And once you do it, finishing the game will be easier young grasshoppah.

The hardest part for me is jumping on the platforms in the sky on L8. The final boss, while not that exciting is sorta fun to kill off however, esp with my fav character: the Samurai dude.

And BTW- setting difficulty in Debug will give you more or less health and slow/speed enemies respectively.

Freelancer

Banned
Electroman said:
For those of us accustomed to the old-school NES/Genesis/TG16 days of platformers, timed jumps, and heavy shooting, a game like this is easy.

I can safely say that I'm accustomed to the old-school 8-bit and 16-bit platformers, but I still find Magician Lord insanely hard on AES. Hell, I've beaten games such as Milon's Secret Castle and the NES Ghosts N' Goblins, so you'd figure that I could easily get through ML, but that does not appear to be the case.

I guess more practice is in order! :)

Freelancer said:
I can safely say that I'm accustomed to the old-school 8-bit and 16-bit platformers, but I still find Magician Lord insanely hard on AES. Hell, I've beaten games such as Milon's Secret Castle and the NES Ghosts N' Goblins, so you'd figure that I could easily get through ML, but that does not appear to be the case.

I guess more practice is in order! :)

OMG you've beaten Ghost n Goblins on NES? You are teh Ghoul God1!!1! And all these years I thought that game was impossible. Freelancer, let me tell you, and forgive my bluntness, if you can beat that game, Magician Lord is much easier than you think. Much of MagLord is predicting where teh enemies are, and killing them off before they show up on screen for very long. Where are you stuck?

Freelancer

Banned
Electroman said:
OMG you've beaten Ghost n Goblins on NES? You are teh Ghoul God1!!1! And all these years I thought that game was impossible. Freelancer, let me tell you, and forgive my bluntness, if you can beat that game, Magician Lord is much easier than you think. Much of MagLord is predicting where teh enemies are, and killing them off before they show up on screen for very long. Where are you stuck?

Yep, I can proudly say that I've beated Ghosts N' Goblins on the NES. Took a lot of practice and dedication, but I persevered. Anyway with Magician Lord, I begin to have problems on the third boss. For the life of me, I can't seem to memorize his patterns. Also, my particular "version" of ML AES starts me back at whatever halfway point I cleared whenever I die (unlike the MVS version where you respawn at the place of your death---but I have heard that some AES versions of the game have this respawn feature too).
I have to do a lot of backtracking just to get another crack at the boss.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
qube said:

Q-

I'm sorry but I speak the truth. The fact that Neo Geo gamers praise every Neo game -even if it's shitty- gets me simply out of understanding... Ok, fighters are the best on that system but for plateformers, let me laugh... Castlevania on SNES is 100 better.

Furthermore I don't know what you're talking about. Did you record every of my single words? Guess no. I explain my point of view so don't accuse me if it's right. I'm not the only one to think that on that game...
Some on this forum are always rough unlike me.

DIX

Astra Superstar
. It IS tough- I’ve read that MVS is actually easier, but still, the game is definitely designed to take your quarters-

the AES or MVS are identical
but there are 2 version:

1°= start with 2 energy bar
(when transofrmed 4)

2°= start with 3 energy bar
(when transformed 6)

the second version when die (even at the sub-boss)
you re-start from begin of the level

in the first version story introduction lacks

Last edited:

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Stage 8 of Magician Lord is a bitch. But during spring break of 2003, I beat the damn game! Beating the Neo Geo CD version is easy because there are a lot more check points. Also, if you die while fighting a boss, when you use another life, the damage is still done to the boss. In the home cartridge version you only have one life to kill the boss. You can continue as much as you want in fighting the boss but you still can only use one life to kill him.

The final stage (stage 8) is the supreme bitch of the game. You have to beat 7 mini-bosses and the main boss on just three lives. Unlike the other stages, you can't continue playing the final boss if you have lost all of your lives. You have three lives to beat the stage and that is it. Also, when you get to transform for the final battle, on the home cartridge version you don't get any extra power bars. Every other time when you transform into a powerful form, you get an extra 3 life bars. Not in the final fight, the three blue bars that you have will just turn red and you still only get to beat the main guy with only three life bars. That makes it even harder. In the Neo Geo CD version though, this is not a problem since you can continue to fight him as much as you want without having to worry to start over.

The main boss in the game has multiple forms and is pretty hard. The main trick is in getting to him with all your lives in tact. You must learn the pattern of the mini-bosses. The really nasty one is the 6th one - it is three devil women. I can pretty much beat all the 7 mini-bosses without getting hit but it takes a lot of practice. Anyway, that's all I have to say for now.

Freelancer

Banned
eight one said:
Can someone elaborate on the crystal combinations?

Check the Magician Lord FAQ under the Neo-Geo.com faq section. The crystal combos as well as the form you take are listed below:

3-2. Dragonwarrior

The Dragon Warrior is one Elta's other forms. This form attacks with a fire
breath that is constant but short range. Elta becomes the Dragon Warrior by
collecting 2 red changing orbs.

3-3. Waterman

The Waterman is another of Elta's forms. The Waterman attacks with bubbles
that travel a long distance following the floor but are weak. Elta becomes the
Waterman by collecting 1 red and 1 blue changing orbs.

3-4. Posedion

Poseidon is one of Elta's strong forms. Poseidon attacks with a water pillar
attack that freezes enemies. Pick up 2 blue changing orbs to become poseidon.

3-5. Shinobi
Another of Elta's forms the Shinobi is one of the best. Shinobi attacks with a
spinning fireball and has excellent speed and strength. One needs to collect 1
red and 1 green changing orb.

3-6. Samurai

The Samurai is Elta's best form. With a powerful attack that goes through
multiple enemies and hits at least twice and great moveably the Samurai is the
best form to have. Collect 1 blue and 1 green changing orb to become the
Samurai.

3-7 Raijin

The Raijin is last of Elta's forms. The Raijin has an lighting attack that
covers all directions, but is very short range and weak. Two green changing
orbs give you this form.

PART 4-. The Items

4-1. Changing Orb

The changing orb comes in 3 colors red, blue or green. Collecting 2 changes
Elta's form.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
what a sad sad thread

you guys dissing magician lord,
you dont know what you're talking about

yes,lets even compare ML to wonderboy in monster land while we're at it

SO idiotic its almost unbelievable

and wanna know something else?

not only ML still remains one of the best games on the neo with some AMAZING bosses / music tracks

it is also incredibly EASY

once you know what to do,game becomes a piece of piss

dont blame snk and the game if you suck at playing videogames

:multi_co:

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Well said, Magician Lord is still one of he best Neo games and it is that damn easy, most people just suck ass at games and bitch about it, and the game does seem a lot easier on AES than it is on MVS.

Last edited: