Leona Heidern

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just curious as to your people's thoughts on Leona. She's one of my favorite characters and has been for a while. Just curious to hear some thoughts, gameplay, storyline, or otherwise.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Interesting storyline, very fun to play and very abusive, too bad that most of her moves are based on "charging". Very nice design and interesting personality. She has Orochi blood in her, so even better.

Leona is simply a great character that makes the Ikari Team really "important" in the KOF storyline.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
One of my favorites in the whole series. I usually use her on
a team with Whip and Iori (another two of my favorites).

Also, I love her Leona Crusher throw (still upset about its
removal in KoF 2003).

"APPLE JUICE!" :buttrock:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
it wasn't until KOF 97 with the arrival of Orochi Leona that I really started to take notice of her as a character...story-wise and gameplay-wise Leona has a lot of depth...and I'm impressed that they took the time to differentiate her from Iori in regards to the effects of the Riot of the Blood...her feral violent side was real impressive the first time I ran up against it...

Reality Check

World Hero
When it comes to character design shes blah. I've seen better designs for amy women in fighting games. Her storyline has alot of depth and I don't like her gameplay-wise.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Orochia Leona > Orochi Iori

She is just more crazy and fun to play as.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Nesagwa said:
Orochia Leona > Orochi Iori

She is just more crazy and fun to play as.

I hate the whole, losing half of your life thing, but Orochi Leona is a blast to play as. She's in my main KOF 2002 team (Leona, Chris, Kusanagi) and I wouldn't have it any other way.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
great topic

I started the same topic a few months ago

I'm a big fan and I love "charge" move characters

I'll say that she has a lot of original moves and with a little practice, she can own other characters like its nothing

Great design, great story, great gameplay, classic KOF character

Now will they please put her in another vs game (MOTM being the only one so far)

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
the roker said:
great topic

I started the same topic a few months ago

I'm a big fan and I love "charge" move characters

I'll say that she has a lot of original moves and with a little practice, she can own other characters like its nothing

Great design, great story, great gameplay, classic KOF character

Now will they please put her in another vs game (MOTM being the only one so far)

My thoughts exactly.

Moriya

Cheng's Errand Boy
Leona Heidern is my favorite KOF character. And my second favorite video game character (only behind, well, Moriya).

In fact, I started playing KOF because of her. Back in 1996, I was really impressed by her Baltic Launcher move, in that time when KOF had amazing graphics and I had never seen a move like that. I started playing KOF because of her even though I already used to play games like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting (and already knew that KOF existed since 1994, but never bothered to check it out, despite loving these other SNK games).

I love her design, her story, and her gameplay. However, being and adept of the "change is almost always good" philosophy, I could definitely live with some changes for her in the next KOF (as well as many other characters that never change like Ryo, Mai, Iori, Clark, Daimon... but let's not get into that). A new outfit would be fine (different shorts since I don't like the ones she uses now), and a different jacket (since I think she should still wear a jacket but looked really good with it open, in that KOF98 winpose... so a RB Mary style jacket would be perfect). As for gameplay, changes would be excellent (specially after the nerfing she got in 2003). Personally, I would kill for f,d,df + P Moon Slasher (like 2001 Heidern), and hcb + P Baltic Launcher. I sincerely think that only her Ground Saber should remain a charge move (since it's the only one that looks like a charge move and needs to be a charge move, to avoid Ralf Tackle-style cheapness).

And yes, I would kill to see her in crossover games too.

Last edited:

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
she's like mushiki said, very abusive. she's got good poking priorities, due to the long legs. good damage, and love the jump D. she's a nightmare in 2k2.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Reality Check said:
When it comes to character design shes blah. I've seen better designs for amy women in fighting games. Her storyline has alot of depth and I don't like her gameplay-wise.

To each their own I guess... but I'd say Leona, character design wise for a military chick commando is better than most others I've seen. I'd take her over SF II's "Cammy" even. *My only complaint is that she's a *Charge* character... I don't dig on that too much, but she's a blast to watch in the hands of someone who can utilize her. I still think the whole IKARI Team should get some sort of IKARI WARRIORS Anime OVAs or a motion picture, linking the old games with Colonel Heidern and Leona somehow fitting into the story as well.

...but that's just my two cents {Clink.}

MERCENARY X99

Mushiki said:
Leona is simply a great character that makes the Ikari Team really "important" in the KOF storyline.

With the storyline revolving the Orochi once more, the above description is so apt. Ikari's ending in KoF 2003 is certainly focussed on Leona's Blood Riot curse and gives Ralf and Clark a personal reason to defeat the Orochi. Also, the Riot of Blood versions of her and Iori in 1997 make the power of Orochi more concrete, more in-yo-face; SNK did a great job going beyond cutscenes to tell the story, and that effect still lingers.

I've been a fan of Leona for a long time, especially in versus bouts where my opponent is using characters like Choi, Malin, K999, who simply go Monkey Panic on you. Leona's ducking kicks, Moon Slasher (d, u + A/C,) and her air throw counter that method quite well.

Black Noah

Another Striker
Dean Howard said:
With the storyline revolving the Orochi once more, the above description is so apt. Ikari's ending in KoF 2003 is certainly focussed on Leona's Blood Riot curse and gives Ralf and Clark a personal reason to defeat the Orochi. Also, the Riot of Blood versions of her and Iori in 1997 make the power of Orochi more concrete, more in-yo-face; SNK did a great job going beyond cutscenes to tell the story, and that effect still lingers.

Truth....and you will never....and I mean NEVER forget her wailing scream. I've never heard anything like that before in my life.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Finally, an appreciation for charge characters. :D
Leona is a weird one though.
She's very well balanced, but enough to completely throw you if you bothered learning to play as Heidern in KOF95.
Her movelist from 96-98 was great though. The backrolling followed by the slasher boomerang was a nice move, especially if your opponent was rushing you a lot. (qcb+A/C) Then there was her kick dance (qcfX2+B/D). That was a nice one for a corner trap.
KOF99 and on can be frustrating for Leona fans from the old system though. The above two moves were removed and her x-slash in air was changed from a charge down + up B/D move to an in-air qcb + A/C. It made it harder to block, but it can throw you if you've spent a lot of time with her on the Pocket Color or in KOF98.
The Happy Death was a nice move addition though. A nice throw-back to the Orochi storyline. If only she could go ROTB in her qbc, hcf A/C from 99-01.
Overall though, I like Leona. Not one of my normal pics during gameplay, but definately a good pick. My one dissapointment from her was in MOTM in her intro against Guile. "Army, right?" She's not the only one to have made the mistake. But at least Capcom and die-hard Guile fans know he's Air Force.

P-Geyser

Overtop Pathfinder
I am really starting to take to Leona as well....trouble is I need ALOT of practice playing as her.

Kusanagi2004

NEST Puppet
Orochi Leona #1

I'm a huge fan of Orochi Leona from the KOF 97 fame. She just looks and acts almost even more violent than Iori does. I'll also, more often than not, use her for a striker in the KOF2000 PS2 port that came out recently. Hopefully we can see some more Orochi Leona in future KOF's games, or, even better, something from the versus series.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Lets Gekiga In said:
Totally serious. Leona is my mother's first name and favorite SNK character. :D

Your mom has a favorite SNK character?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
snesaes said:
Your mom has a favorite SNK character?
Yep, but I would too if I had a fairly uncommon name and a character by a company by chance had the same name. ;)