How is the Mega CD version of SENGOKU?

Freelancer

Banned
I recently came across an auction for a Mega CD version of the Neo Geo classic Sengoku. Just out of curiosity, how faithful is the port to the original and what if anything was added?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I would love to know myself. I have seen screen shots of the mega cd port and they look somewhat similar to the Neo's. All I have to say is avoid the Super Famicom sengoku like it's the plague.

Freelancer

Banned
Yeah, I mean the cinema screens and gameplay shots shown in the packaging look to be pretty darn close to the Neo original. Whether or not it plays anything like it is anyone's guess.

Odd though...I figured there were more Mega CD owners on this site who could provide some insight. :spock:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Actually, I didn't know it even existed...I'm really curious about how does it look like.
For how much was that game sold? Seems to be pretty rare...

[OCEAN]

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I've got it, posted it for sale in the forums about a week ago.

I haven't played the NG original enough to warrant an accurate comparison, but hopefully I'll get the chance tonight or tomorrow. One thing I do remember is that it's 1p only.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Seems to be a decent conversion. Has all the cut scenes and levels, small load times, sprites roughly the same size as the arcade, and the music is straight from the Neo.

Negative aspects include loss of 2 player (although you can pick the alternate character at startup), scratchy and a few missing voices, and the removal of some eye candy. Enemies still scale into the foreground, only not as smoothly. Most of the nifty "smooshing" effects done on enemy sprites after they die are gone, instead they flash and disappear.

One thing I'm not sure of is if it had less on screen enemies at once than the Neo.

Ironically, the port is done by Sammy :eek_2: