Sonys approval process. The reason Metal Slug 3 didnt come out for the PS2....

Somebody posted this at the Working Designs forums , i wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

I think this post could be conisdered a natural progression from those "WD should publish for x" threads.

As an upfront: This poster, who I'll leaved unnamed but should be obvious, tends to exagerate a bit but this definately jives with alot of the rumors going around.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29268

I'll also duplicate it just in case it myseteriously disapears:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't reveal my friend's name or company, but suffice to say it's a smaller organization. What he told me about Sony's current "concept approval" process blew my mind. Among other things:

* SCEA now rejects any 2D game out of hand.

* Gameplay does not, in any way, enter into the process, but graphics are all-important. My friend was quite literally told this: a gorgeous game that plays like dogshit will be approved, and a fantastic game that looks like dogshit will not be approved.

* My friend's company had almost completely localized the PS2 sequel to a successful PS1 game, thinking its approval was a no-brainer, but SCEA rejected it.

* SCEA is about to publish a new set of concept-approval guidelines to make its idiotic priorities clearer to third-party publishers, because companies are desperately trying to figure out what Sony is thinking.

As if it wasn't already obvious: SCEA doesn't give two shits about hardcore gamers. And unfortunately, the sales charts back up its position. My friend bemoaned the fact that no one, himself included, can figure out how to sell non-sequel, non-tie-in, non-GTA clones on the PS2. The utter failure of Beyond Good and Evil and the underperformance of The Sands of Time have the entire industry freaked out.

I am, as of today, officially a Sony-hater.

-- Z.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Re: IMO

dbarrett0928 said:
it sounds to me like sony is turning into a bunch or crap heads

...you mean this is a new thing for SONY? *Sounds like more of the same bullshit to me. I don't understand how some of the die-hardest of the die-hards can support that freckin' company and their PS2s. Shit I sold my XBOX and everything else to go straight up ARCADE / MVS, and possibly ATOMISWAVE in the near future. *Ain't nothing "Next Gen" about these systems (any of them) and with crap like that being spewed, I'd sooner spew my ejaculate on the SONY door knob than to purchase another PS2.

...ass monkeys everyone of them.

MERCENARY X99

Curt

apostate
As far as this community goes, this makes sony look like complete arses...

Metal Slug 3 is a fantastic game!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Kind of funny how Sony won't allow Metal Slug 3 out on the PS2 however some of those arcade classic discs are coming out still :oh_no:

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
Zero_Reborn said:

My friend was quite literally told this: a gorgeous game that plays like dogshit will be approved, and a fantastic game that looks like dogshit will not be approved.

Recently Capcom released a game called "Gregory Horror Show" and got away with it looking like like dogshit AND not really playing that good. He might still be right about the 2d part, since i cant really remember the last 2d game i played on PS2 .

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Arcademan said:
Kind of funny how Sony won't allow Metal Slug 3 out on the PS2 however some of those arcade classic discs are coming out still :oh_no:

That's for the new poser wanna be old school crowd - Sony's into them for some reason.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Re: Re: IMO

Mercenary X99 said:
...you mean this is a new thing for SONY? *Sounds like more of the same bullshit to me. I don't understand how some of the die-hardest of the die-hards can support that freckin' company and their PS2s. Shit I sold my XBOX and everything else to go straight up ARCADE / MVS, and possibly ATOMISWAVE in the near future. *Ain't nothing "Next Gen" about these systems (any of them) and with crap like that being spewed, I'd sooner spew my ejaculate on the SONY door knob than to purchase another PS2.

...ass monkeys everyone of them.

MERCENARY X99

Roger that.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
who the fuck really cares?

This was "teh drama" before the MVS/AES had its funeral arrangements made. Now it's pretty trivial, I guess.

NeoGrubWyrm

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I wouldn't go as far as to call Sony crapheads. They, like it or not, made the game industry what it is today... mass market.

The are in it for the money, just like any company out there. And to be profitable to a mass market, you must appeal to the mass market. And 2D games just aren't it. Except for Castlevania, which was rereleased as a greatest hits... so, if it sells, and it's a proven formula... they will go for it I think. But it doesn't, forget it. I mean, look at Viewtiful Joe. Awesome game, 2D (quasi I guess), but I don't think it did too well (and this is Nintendo).

Besides, this is SOA... not all of Sony. I might be wrong, but doesn't aren't there a lot more 2D games for PS2 in Japan?

just my 2 cents... and I don't even own a PS2. Heck, I've been debating getting a PS2 or Xbox, and I might just go for the Xbox now. But you think Sony cares about 1 guy, or a hundred for that matter?

I can remember when I first got my PS back in 96. I wrote letters to Sony begging for SS3 and KOF'95. I actually got a response saying they were looking into it. And they came. And they sucked. They were bad translations, and they didn't sell. And we haven't seen any 2D games from SNK released here since except for Slug and recently KOF 2000/2001. Which I don't think sold too well either.

Haven't posted in a while.... I had to write something.

-Grub:drool:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
That's for the new poser wanna be old school crowd - Sony's into them for some reason.

SNKP can release "Metal Slug Anthology" on PS2 if they are smart enough to follow what Namco, Atari and other companies did in the past :D

In that way Sony will approve whatever SNKP has.:glee:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
NeoGrubWyrm said:
I wouldn't go as far as to call Sony crapheads. They, like it or not, made the game industry what it is today... mass market.

Exactly what it should have never been. Nintendo and SEGA were doing just fine and making Millions beating the shit out of one another back in the day, with SNK having the "Greatest System" out of the affordable ranges at the time regining supreme over the Gamer Gods. Now my arcades are littered with BEMANI crap, English Dubbed watching Johnny-Come-Latelys who think they know shit from shinola, and SONY birthed what is now two generations of fuck offs that will more or less buy anything dangled in front of their faces. *Sure, no one's going to argue they're not more than a few DAMN GOOD GAMES on the PS2, heck I'll even play MGS III when it comes out on a droog's system... but gone is the magic of "Gaming". Gone is actually listening to the a demographic who was willing to call up Nintendo Hotlines for hours on end to get out of a jam in Dragon Quest... gone is gaming for people who want to game, now it's all BLING and some stupid cunt down the street who's wants to hang with the boys but expects "Special Treatment". If that's what SONY did for the world they can eat the shit that I spew from my asshole and choke on it. :very_ang:

MERCENARY X99

neo_ezekiel

I've been on this site for over 10 years.,
One word, bullshit, I always hated Sony (shitty electronics)but this take the cake.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
Mercenary X99 said:
Exactly what it should have never been. Nintendo and SEGA were doing just fine and making Millions beating the shit out of one another back in the day, with SNK having the "Greatest System" out of the affordable ranges at the time regining supreme over the Gamer Gods. Now my arcades are littered with BEMANI crap, English Dubbed watching Johnny-Come-Latelys who think they know shit from shinola, and SONY birthed what is now two generations of fuck offs that will more or less buy anything dangled in front of their faces. *Sure, no one's going to argue they're not more than a few DAMN GOOD GAMES on the PS2, heck I'll even play MGS III when it comes out on a droog's system... but gone is the magic of "Gaming". Gone is actually listening to the a demographic who was willing to call up Nintendo Hotlines for hours on end to get out of a jam in Dragon Quest... gone is gaming for people who want to game, now it's all BLING and some stupid cunt down the street who's wants to hang with the boys but expects "Special Treatment". If that's what SONY did for the world they can eat the shit that I spew from my asshole and choke on it. :very_ang:

MERCENARY X99

i think you should read this:

It's easy to imagine the cool games that might be spawned by an Ender's Game movie, unfortunately, I doubt those will be the ones we see. It seems to me the odds of us being sodomized in this endeavor are very high.

It would appear that the wheel has come full circle again, and one of us has begun to question their gamer identity. I want to assure you that this is completely normal and that despair is not your only recourse. There are two powerful forces operating on your person, and if you let them they will wrest from you the ability to enjoy this passtime. I speak from experience - you might recall The Sucking series, when we indulged ourselves in the very emotions that have seized you.

External: You may be tempted to give ground to the notion that the "innovation" is gone from gaming, like the part-time pop nihilists to whom all Internet argument is ceded. This is a hipster's gambit, and it's one you would do well to apply a belt sander to. What you are saying is that you are incapable of being pleased. Instead of turning up your nose at the rich feast placed before us, you might ask yourself if you want to be a person for whom nothing is satisfactory. That's the trick of that position - to become so enamored of your own refined palette that no morsel can surmount your culling mechanism. Understand that this isn't the same as liking everything. You can be a huge snob and still be semi-permeable to amusement. I certainly don't waste my attention on bad games, and there's no need to invest your dwindling time and resources for gaming out of some twisted sense of equanimity. As far as the white stag "innovation" is concerned, if you're looking at the retail shelf you may be hard-pressed to find it at times. There are a number of reasons this is true, but for the purposes of this discussion just grant that the rigors of production, the development cycle, and the focus on densely packed, quarterly releases can sometimes obscure the good that there is to find. My point is that if you focus entirely on retail, that's like opening your bedroom door a crack and referring to that visible sliver as "the universe." I don't entertain the notion that Mod Authors - and let's call them what they are, independent developers - are in any way gripped by some malaise, and the release of a sequel to a popular franchise by a gigantic international corporation is not evidentiary of some canker at the core of gaming. If between four consoles and the personal computer you can't find some way to enjoy yourself, please send me your name and a picture so I can fucking avoid you. I don't want to catch whatever it is you have.

That leads into my next point, actually.

Internal: This phase of the conflict is critical indeed, but also strange and ridiculous in a way. I've been playing videogames for twenty-four years, as men reckon time. I identify myself as a gamer. It's a topic that I can discuss for hours, years in fact, if this website is any indicator. And so when I felt these sensations approaching, it seemed indicative of a serious personal fault. Maybe this is what my mom was talking about!!! and so forth. Maybe it was time to start not liking stuff and time to start... What, exactly? What are the other rituals that are, now that I am a man, preferable to gaming?

Why do I care?

I don't want to disappoint the young people in the audience, but there is not some kind of flaming arch you pass through and then you're an adult and you have to be serious about shit. It's easy to see from commercials the sorts of activities I should presumably be engaged in, but I'm fairly certain that American manhood is vague, internally contradictory and largely nonsensical. If I feel like ushering robot legions instead of riding broncos or joining a militia or whatever the fuck, I'm going to usher those Goddamn robot legions and that's pretty much the end of the story.

This all misses the point if you just think games are boring and don't want to play them anymore. There's not some gaming high council that is going to exile your ass for crimes against the community, go do something else for a while and if you like it keep doing it. If you don't like it anymore, then maybe you should come back and do this thing we're doing. Eventually, it won't matter if you played Syberia or got heavily into masonry.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Sony of Japan proved their superiority over its paltry US spinoff to me back with 2 PS releases from a while back:

the Roadblasters/Thunderstorm 2 disc set
and the last Hokuto/Fist of the North Star action-adventure game

gotta love teh imports
:cool:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
and holy crap, I am pretty much in awe of the post made by Nash while I was tapping away at the keyboard...damn that was really something...
:eek:

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
i actually didn't write that. some guy wrote that on the penny-arcade forum. the writing is a bit pretentious, but i like what he said.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Nash said:
the writing is a bit pretentious

LOL .... yeah, just a tad. This guy thinks he has the video game community all figured out. I just find the article to be way too verbose and grandiose for my tastes, and I think he could've made his point in about 3 sentences.

It reminded me of Morpheus' speach in The Matrix Reloaded - and well, actually, the entire movie. Big on style, short on substance.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Kazuki Dash said:
ditto...he pretty much said it all there...

That was written by the Penny Arcade guys, I think Tycho is the one who does the news posts.

Most of the time I think the philosophical gaming stuff those guys put up is crap but yeah, that hits the nail on the head. It applies to SO MANY of the people that post here. It should be like required reading material.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
JHendrix said:
That was written by the Penny Arcade guys, I think Tycho is the one who does the news posts.

Most of the time I think the philosophical gaming stuff those guys put up is crap but yeah, that hits the nail on the head. It applies to SO MANY of the people that post here. It should be like required reading material.

It sounds like pseudo-intellectual nonsense to me - but to each his own.