Come on, there must be someone excited in the Atomiswave

SNKjr

NEST Puppet
I know I am, the is a great opportunity for SNK Playmore, and come on guys the neo has definitely reached it's peak in performance and most surely capability, I think KOF 2003 shows the limit the Neo MVS can take, and I think it is about time they made a change.
Not saying they should not support the AES system, but for goodness sake for the arcade industry, it is about they moved on to a more advanced system.
Anyone?

Yes, you can bitch all you want but you know it is true.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I would love to see more games running on the Neo-Geo hardware, more King of Fighters, more Samurai Spirits, more Metal Slugs, etc. That is the sad part, no more new releases, it's seeing most elitist system that ever existed dying.

No more new snaplock cases, no more new inserts, no more preorders or waiting anxiously for close releases, no more "supporting the Neo". That is sad.

Still, from a more "gamer" view of events, it is sure exciting, new hardware, old game series, thinking about how the graphics and sound will get better, and always hoping for the game system to be as pure as it was with Neo-Geo releases... it is indeed very interesting. A real revolution.

The scene will change, many of us will get to own Atomiswave hardware and others will get console ports... I just hope the phrase "inferior port" does not die with the Neo-Geo hardware.

Anyway, at the moment many of us are angry about the recent events, but you have to admit that these are hard to swallow news...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
News? Rumors? and can we please stop with the flood of posts about essentially the same report from a new place.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
its weird

a site packed full of neo geo "supporters"

they love snk and neo geo so much,they truly do

but again,its weird

i bought my first neo back in 1990

so for me,
even if i'm not a big fan of snk / playmore latest games

this is truly a sad moment

but you lot dont feel the same

because you are spending your time celebrating atomiswave ( an outdated hardware btw )

and the "endless possibilities" of this new fantastic hardware

and they call themselves "fans"...

for me,
snk = neo geo = kof

kof on another hardware = game over and no continue

Herman L.E.

Kabuki Klasher
me...

personally I couldn't be happier, it's a great opprotunity for SNKP to enter a new age of arcade gaming. seriously, how can SNKP survive in the gaming business with 13 year old arcade hardware? think about it. they're probably barley staying afloat as it is.

and besides... is there a better way to celebrate The King Of Fighters 10 year anniversary, than by giving the series a graphic overhaul and shine it truly deserves? I think not.

it may take the fanboys some time to embrace this fact but the Atomiswave may be SNKP's beacon of hope.

So indeed, the future is now. :cool:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Re: Re: Come on, there must be someone excited in the Atomiswave

Fran said:
its weird

but again,its weird

so for me,

because you are spending your time celebrating atomiswave ( an outdated hardware btw )

for me,
snk = neo geo = kof

Fran,

Honestly this is a good day for us Neo Geo supporters... Can you really tell me anything post 2000 has really excited you anyway. The Neo was going down hill, the games were going down hill. Honestly, if it had all ended in 2000 and then SNKP in 2004 anounced new games for Atomiswave, do you think it would have been better recieved?

The system has been on life support, and like an old dog you love, or a terminal family member... sometimes you have to put them out of their misery, stop being selfesh and let them rest in piece. It is time to put the Neo Geo down... It had a great run, it has been wobbly for 3-4 years, now it needs to sleep...

Let it's memory live on in all of us...

-Nick

I am excited about Atomiswave but I also feel that NEO GEO's performance has not been reached 100% yet.

We've seen 2.5D spinning bosses (Pulstar, BLazing star)
scaling, warping, and stretching (SS, many games, MS1)
perfect paralax (MOTW, MS5)
CD quality audio, etc....

but what about a game that has all these features combined? Have not seen it yet.

So therefore, we have not seen a game that has every possible SFX feature that it can muster.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Re: Re: Re: Come on, there must be someone excited in the Atomiswave

nruva said:
Fran,

Honestly this is a good day for us Neo Geo supporters... Can you really tell me anything post 2000 has really excited you anyway. The Neo was going down hill, the games were going down hill. Honestly, if it had all ended in 2000 and then SNKP in 2004 anounced new games for Atomiswave, do you think it would have been better recieved?

The system has been on life support, and like an old dog you love, or a terminal family member... sometimes you have to put them out of their misery, stop being selfesh and let them rest in piece. It is time to put the Neo Geo down... It had a great run, it has been wobbly for 3-4 years, now it needs to sleep...

Let it's memory live on in all of us...

-Nick

LOL ... I'm picturing the final scene of "Old Yeller" when the dog gets rabies - all because of a game system:D. Anyway, yeah, I'm really sad to see it go. Even my g/f, who can be, well less than totally supportive of my gaming habits, was pretty sympathetic toward me this morning when I told her about it. I guess she knew how much the NGH meant to me. It really is sad though - it's like the end of an era - and we'll probably never see another system with as much character as the NGH has.

Anyway, I'll stop my bellyaching now. The Atomiswave is at heart a Dreamcast, and I'm thoroughly convinced that the DC is a great 2D machine, so if SNKP can pump out some great titles on it then I'm all for it. It'll never be the same, but I'll take some Neo rather than no Neo at all.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
For those who think neo's sucked since 2000. It hasnt.

A few hits have come and gone.
KOF 2001 is the best playmore release so far. Spot on gameplay. SSV has good gameplay as well, kinda half assed the game though. Suija is a bad ass regardless of re-use.
Then again alot of you guys constantly complain about how some games suck. I wonder how many of the complainers play other people?

Neo is nothing but fighters and the occasional shooter (ms/ASO II)
to me.

Competitive play is why I'm still into neo.
I feel really sorry for those people who have not been to a cade to play others in KOF. You gotta be in a good location..

Neo = KOF. You kill neo, KOF should go with it..
I just cant see myself playing a kof outside of neo.
Its so awkward.

This is one thing about Fran and myself... Neo represents the last dance of the old school.
I hate high res. games like ggxx/x/isuka arent even 2d to me.
2D to me has always been entirely sprite based.

If KOF gets a tap system ala mvsc/ggx. I'm done with the series.

I practice tapping in KOF 98.
Which I consider a shit lot harder then GGX.
A cross up combo is a perfect example.
It is so damn sweet to land this shit in competitive play.
How cool is it that since 98 released I am still learning new stuff through conditions you cant imagine.

Tak 98
Cross up D, sA, cB, sA, cB, cA, fwd+a sdm...

Hell the only easy tapper in 98 is Heavy D!

D! against terry (me and giby learned this shit by combining, strangely its also in a vid)
cross up c, cB, cB, cB, sA, sA, sA, sA, sA, sA, cA hcb hcf+a/c sdm..

I've seen someone get like 13 hits outta that before sdm.. I can only get 12, and 10 before sdm...
You can't mash that either, every single hit has a unique timing. (Its just easier with Heavy D!)
Watch the KOF China vids for more of that stuff.

I really mean that when comparing. I SERIOUSLY am worried about the KOF engine. If it turns to shit though, oh well.. I got my 98, 95, 2k1 and 96.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
lithy said:
News? Rumors? and can we please stop with the flood of posts about essentially the same report from a new place.

I 2nd that motion!! Its one thing to spam a thread but peeps r spammin the whole Section:shame: I know im guilty of not lookn before i post.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
no, i don't like the idea of not using the MVS.

apparently I'll have to stick with ports from now on...

SNKP is making a HUGE mistake.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Already have requests for a Consolized Atomiswave board out...

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Re: Re: Come on, there must be someone excited in the Atomiswave

I have to agree with you and LWK.
I mean what is the Atomiswave? what has it done?
Dolphin Blue?

Fran said:
its weird

but again,its weird

so for me,

for me,
snk = neo geo = kof

Last edited:
I think it suck.

It's most likely I will end up playing the new games on the atomiswave but I'm sure it won't be the same thing as playing a neo geo game.

I don't even care much for new stuff anyway I like to play the classics.

for those who like the atomiswave more than the NG now, move out:
http://www.atomiswave.com/forums

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
these threads remind me of that South Park episode where the town was debating wether or not to change their flag and people where asked what their opinion was. Anyone remember that?
God I get so tired of people saying, oh its sad that the system is going, but yeepie this is cool as well. I know its not clear cut positive or negative news for many, but it feels like alot of you are not sincerely concerned about these changes and are just saying "its sad, but the company cannot work on outdated 13 year old hardware etc."

Guys 2d is supposedly outdated, what does it mean to have new grafix for these, our favourite games? Ok so it could all work out. I hope so, but why does Sammy have to do this? why can't they fukken compete with Playmore, making something good enough to be alternative to SNK games? I mean, if Sony was the only next gen console in the future, because it bought off the competition, how would you feel? Its a hell of alot of power for one company to wield.

Last point. The exclusivity of mvs was nice because you knew anything on it would be 100% SNK or endorsed by them. SNK, it sounds, is becoming something like a third party now, and just one more company producing for Sammy's Atomiswave (though the technology is Sega and they effectively bought that company out). KOF will just about stand out - SNKP won't.
SNK's Neo Geo was the rebel child of the arcade/home console scene. Since day one, doing things its own way, and more recently keeping the arcade/2d fighting game scene alive.

I would have prefered it if SNKP had gone to Sega or Nintendo and asked for their own custom technology based on existing hardware like Sammy did, rather than getting done over like this.
But oh well. Fuck it

:p

Last edited:

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
SNKjr said:
I know I am, the is a great opportunity for SNK Playmore, and come on guys the neo has definitely reached it's peak in performance and most surely capability, I think KOF 2003 shows the limit the Neo MVS can take, and I think it is about time they made a change.
Not saying they should not supprot the AES system, but for goodness sake for the arcade industry, it is about they moved on to a more advanced system.
Anyone?

Yes, you can bitch all you want but you know it is true.

I may be in the minority here, but when it comes to audio, visuals, and gameplay, the Neo could still churn out impressive stuff if only SNKP could pour their souls into software. I honestly think that LB, LB2, and Garou are still some of the best looking and tightest games ever, and they were all made before 2000. Those hights can be reached again, it all depends on the programming. Yeah, there's also some nostalgia involved as the Neo is the only system from my youth that is still churning out games on a regular basis, is a haven for 2D gamers, and has been around for 1/2 my life :)

However, at the same time, SNK has always been one of my favorite companies, pre-Neo, and they have to do what they have to do in order to stay financially successful and I'm ok with the move as long as they dont whore themselves on 3D. A part of me -is- curious and excited to see how these new games will look and play with a system with more power. However, like a said before, its all about how much SNKP is willing to pour into the programming. All I know is that the initial AW offerings better be something special if they wish to show gamers that the move was worth it.

Ideally, I kinda wish that SNKP had two divisions, one to support the MVS/AES and another for AW but that probably will never happen. The Neo is one of my top 3 systems ever, so it'll always have life, especially since I have many more games to get. As for the AW? I remain optimistic, as I know that all systems have to eventually kick the can. If AW in effect turns into MVS 2.0 with high quality games that hold up with classic Neo stuff, it'll be OK.

But i really, really hate to see the old bird die......

Seijuro Hiko

Camel Slug
I'm very happy with this announcement (that's what I dreamed of). I can't wait to see SNKP games with GGXX quality!

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Seijuro Hiko said:
I'm very happy with this announcement (that's what I dreamed of). I can't wait to see SNKP games with GGXX quality!

Dont be too sure of that.....

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Attention ng.com members:

Funeral services to be held for MVS/NGH hardware on Monday, 2:00 p.m.

Group counseling sessions to be held shortly thereafter.

With all of the new releases lately, I think a lot of us never saw this coming. Stay strong, and try to think about the good times we shared with the Neo. That's what the he would want us to do :D.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
IMO, the ball is totally in SNKP's court now, if you'll pardon the cliche. Now they can't be judged on the basis of their "outdated" hardware (which probably pushed programmers to greater heights, anyways).

If they put out great new games, cool. Sammy and the Atomiswave will look pretty damn good to people.

If they fall in to the trap of "better looking"="better game", then the old SNK/Neo spirit is truly gone.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Since they are moving to the atomiswave hardware, they better take advantage of it and not use the same graphics engine. I am curious to see how they put it into action.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
I don't plan on selling my Neo-Geo games anytime soon. In fact, I don't plan on leaving ng.com either. This may be the end of the Neo as we know it, but the community will remain, long after the mainstream members have moved on from this site.

I am still happy with my Neo-Geo and games, and I see no reason to plunk down $500 for an Atomiswave board until Sammy / SNK can prove their worth on this new piece of hardware.

In the meantime, I will reserve judgment until something tangible is released. Will I favor the Atomis over the Neo in the coming months once SNK games start appearing on the hardware? I seriously doubt it… I don’t think graphics warrant the purchase of an entirely new system with some new releases costing in excess of $600 or better.

I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
personally, im kinda afraid to take the leap and buy an atomis wave...all the games are going to be ported to xbox with live anyway:crying:

so much for wanting to own the real hardware, especially if its going to be inferior at an insanely higher price.

only time will tell. but i suppose im pretty happy. kof2k3 is crazy awesome anyway