ASUS mobo

Tidus Vash

NEST Puppet
I started to post this in 'unrelated' since it isn't about Neo-Geo, but since it is a techinical question, I figured I'd go for it.

I've built another computer but have hit a major hitch.
I can't interface with it...
All I can get to is the initial bios screen asking me to select my cpu speed, but the keyboard does nothing.
It's like it has no basic keyboard drivers.
I've tried three different keyboards.
This is the same model mobo I'm using in my main p00ter (the one I'm using as I make this post - or in this case, copy the original post I made on a different message board).
It is the same keyboard as well.
It's an ASUS A7A266.
Not only have I tried two other keyboards (neither were usb, I don't have any usb keyboards), I've also tried stripping it down to just the video card, one stick of ram, one hard drive, and one cd-rom, hoping it was a weak power supply.
I don't think it is an issue of power or connection.
All three keyboards blink twice after I plug them in telling me they are indeed connected and getting juice.
Please help.
Thanks.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
It sounds like the keyboard port is bad. Can you return the mobo? If not I would recommend trying a PS/2 to USB converter or a USB keyboard. The keyboard should blink only once (Num, Caps, & Scroll).

Neo Ash

Please post a follow up. If I were you I would return the mobo. This could be the beginning of future problems.

Tidus Vash

NEST Puppet
I bought the converter and tried a keyboard in a usb slot.
That works.

If this is a potential sign of problems down the road, I might pick up a new motherboard anyway.
This is the second ASUS mobo I've had problems with so I'm not going to get another one of those.
Is there any particular brand you (or anyone else here) might recommend?
Even a model for that matter.
I'm looking for something with a 266fsb, 4x agp or higher support, 2 ddr slots, socket A.

Neo Ash

I would not give up so quickly. Download the latest BIOS. Flashing the BIOS might solve your problem. I have been using ASUS products for many years; I’ve never had a problem. Sorry your having such bad luck.

Recommendations:
1) SuperMicro
2) Tyan
3) Abit

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I would have to say you should return the mobo and exchange it for another. Normally its usb keyboards that give problems when going into the bios screen, not ps2.

Raz

Sundance

Sho's Rival
If you can afford it you should just bump up to an ASUS P4P800, there in Ver. 2 and super stable plus you can get the HT (hyper threaded). It werx great w/ a 2.0 or higher Proc, dual DDR Ram and SATA HD.